Advice For Comics For A Teenage Girl

Started by ori-STUDFARM, March 19, 2012, 04:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ori-STUDFARM

It's my eldest daughters 13th birthday soon and I wanted to get her a couple of graphic novels to try and encourage her into some shared interests with her Dad....but tailored to her own tastes a bit. She will read some of my Batman or X Men graphic novels now and then, but these are definitely more to my tastes than hers. She doesn't seem to be much of a superhero fan unless it has a teenage girl as the main character and is super violent! She does seem to really enjoy my Terry Pratchett graphic novels though. But I'm hoping to try her with some more serious and grown up graphic novels in the hope that she finds something that really interests her and maybe she could become a fan of.

Knowing how much she loves history and enjoys reading or watching movies/TV shows about the WW2 Blitz and the Holocaust, I thought it a safe bet to get her The Complete Maus. This I am pretty confident will go down well....and is definitely a lot more serious than anything else she has read.

I also opted for The deluxe hardcover version of Fables Vol:1. Now I don't actually know much about this other than somebody online recommended it. And I basically just took a punt. Sounds like her kind of thing...but who knows. She may hate it!

But I really struggled to think of stuff suitable for her. She is a typical teen. Sensible level head on her shoulders...with a tendancy to enjoy horror stories and fantasy rather than love stories and sparkly vampires....or superheroes with their pants on over the top of their tights!! Now if she does develop a taste for graphic novels that are tailored for a teenage girl rather than being put off by her Dad's small collection, what other recommendations would people have.

I'm not overly concerned by bad language or violence. She's sensible enough to know the difference between reality and unreal hyper-violence. But if something is too sexual, I won't be buying it for her. She can buy that stuff herself when she's old enough...

So....any recommendations for the future?

X

Have you tried:

Mouse Guard
X-23
Witchblade
Darkness
Unwritten
Girls with slingshots
Terry Moore's Echo

Jobydrone

I loved Archie comics when I was that age or maybe a bit younger.  She sounds like she has advanced taste though.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

ricdude

Girl Genius: A "Gaslamp Fantasy" Girl Genius follows the career of Agatha Heterodyne—a hapless student at Transylvania Polygnostic University who discovers that she has more going for her than she thought.  Influences include Jules Verne and H. Rider Haggard. Expect big, clanking Victorian-style tech, old-fashioned clothes, Frankenstein monsters and airships. Lots and lots of airships. Is it magic? Is it science? A little of both, I suppose–it's Mad Science. Check out the comic online, or buy dead tree versions: http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/

Someone in a bookstore recommended the Cardcaptor Sakura manga for my daughter, but it might be a bit young for a teen...

ChrisMC

Fables is a good choice. My niece is 13 and she loves it.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

turtlesrock

ahaha, my department!
my all time favorite series of graphic novel would have to be Tokyo Mew Mew. More of an anime than a graphic novel, but still good nonetheless.

WillEagle

If she likes stories based in an earlier time Marvel did come out with a series a few years ago called Marvel Illustrated. They are based on Classic novels. I read 'Treasure Island' and 'The Man In The Iron Mask'. They were pretty good for any age I think. I believe there are 4 in total. You might check those out.