PODCAST #12 up gang!

Started by Rico, November 20, 2005, 01:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spock

Visit the Unofficial Treks n Sci-Fi RPG forum http://spocksmac.byethost11.com/forum

RicSantiago

Hi, Rico! - and hi, gang!

First let me clarify one point. Rico, in your reactions to my email, it seemed you felt as I was complaining or warning you about spoilers of episodes that haven't being aired on other countries. I'm not much concerned about spoilers. My message was twofold (maybe that's the reason why it didn't come through clearly...): (1) I very much like to hear about good shows that are coming, so I may be on the lookout to see what brazilian cable channel will announce it or even write them and ask for it. (2) but I ask that you do not focus too much "air" time on these recent shows or we, the guys from abroad, may get out of sync. It was just that.

About the movies you picked, I like very much Krull, and I think it's ALL in the MUSIC!! The score is great! And yeah, I had never noticed the similarities with Star Wars, but they are there, indeed!

When I was halfway through your movie section I was betting one of the movies you would talk about was "Soylent Green". Did you see it? If not, go after it.  ::)  I would say that, along with "Planet of the Apes", "Soylent Green" is the "The Sixth Sense" of sci-fi movies.

Please, a question: the music you used on the very ending, was it from Krull also?? ??? ???

Rico

As you probably have noticed, my Podcasts don't spend a lot of time on current TV and movies.  But I will occasionally toss in comments on some of those - especially the ones I like of course.  But, I will definitely warn folks if I give things away.  Generally I don't reveal things.  I usually just say if I like or don't like something.  Speaking of which, have you gotten "Serenity" down in Brazil yet?  I'm a huge "Firefly" fan and loved the movie.
As far as the movies, yes I have seen all those.  I considered putting "Planet of the Apes" in this past show, but I decided to stick to single film stuff.  Apes deserves a whole Podcast on it's own I think.  Same with the Matrix someday.

And yes, the end music on the show was also from "Krull."

RicSantiago

Answering your question have you gotten "Serenity" down in Brazil yet? , no , there was a decision to not show it on movie theaters and go directly to the release of DVDs - someday....
(as per http://www.sobrecarga.com.br/node/view/8140 )
The movie was shown just once on a movie Festival in Rio - but I did not attend.

Not a word about showing Firefly either.

Rico

Can you order DVD's from the US and get them shipped to you?

RicSantiago

:unsure

Sorry it took me that long to see your question!
Yes, we can have DVDs shipped to us (I could buy them from Amazon using int'l credit card, for instance) but I would have to pay import duties to receive them at the post office. The tax is 50% - so, it makes that somewhat expensive.

The DVDs are coded by area (yours is Area 1, Brazil is on Area 4), but most DVD players in Brazil are sold with a code to unlock them to play all Areas and the code is given to every customer by salesmen on any store. (Now, is that cynical or what?!   :shocked )
And our TV sets are also able to show NTSC (your TV system of colors) besides ours (PAL/M).

Nowadays, with P2P file sharing and Bit Torrent, some people are getting TV shows and DVD movies from the Net - not me, though.  :ninja :innocent

Rico

Yep - soon most video content will have "legal" ways to download them too.  Just as iTunes does with music already.