Doc Savage

Started by Ktrek, May 30, 2007, 09:26:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ktrek

When I was a kid of about 10 I discovered this wonderful character created by Lester Dent called "Doc Savage". Doc was not your average superhero because he was just a man who had perfected his abilities. He was in the best physical form, a scientist, anthropologist, researcher, criminologist, pilot, inventor, surgeon and the list goes on and on. He hung out with a gang of five men that helped him solve crimes and mysteries. He never accepted the supernatural as he believed there was always a scientific basis for phenomenon, if one knew where to look for it. Doc Savage inspired the heart and mind of this little kid and even today I just have to pick up a Doc Savage novel and give it a quick read.

Doc originally came out in monthly form as a pulp fiction dime novel. In the 1960's Bantam Books got the rights to publish the Doc Savage stories and they started to release all the stories in book form. Eventually 188 novels were released. Kenneth Robeson was a ghost name attached to the books but in actuality there were several contributers to the Doc Savage series over the years but mostly by Lester Dent. Each paperback is only about 140 pages and they read very quickly. The prose is not on the highest level but they were never meant to be anything more than just fun. If you want to read some stories that will take you back to the 30s and 40s, back to simpler times then Doc Savage is for you!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Locutus

I saw this movie on tv quite a few years ago! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072886/

I loved it
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

Duffster

Whoot!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Doc Savage Rulez!!! I have loved the books since I discovered them when I was a kid also.

Monk and Renny were always my favorites. I was actually thinking that I would try and do a podcast on Doc Savage at one point, but I don't know what the interest level is on The Man of Bronze these days.

Anyway, I still love  :wub :wub to read these old stories, even though they are a bit dated... they are still lots of fun to read.

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Rico

I really need to read some more of these, and some more Conan too.  Somewhere in my bookshelves I think I have a Doc Savage collection.  Might be fun, summer reading.

Ktrek

Quote from: Locutus on May 31, 2007, 10:03:18 AM
I saw this movie on tv quite a few years ago! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072886/

I loved it

I have a DVR copy of that movie and it's one of those "so campy it's good" films for me.

Quote from: Duffster on May 31, 2007, 10:08:56 AM
Whoot!!! :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Doc Savage Rulez!!! I have loved the books since I discovered them when I was a kid also.

Monk and Renny were always my favorites. I was actually thinking that I would try and do a podcast on Doc Savage at one point, but I don't know what the interest level is on The Man of Bronze these days.

Duffster

Monk and Renny were always my favorites too. Although Pat Savage would have a fine place in my heart! lol

There are a lot of Doc fans out there but whethere there are enough to support a podcast I'm not sure.

I think that the movie industry has overlooked the potential for Doc Savage as a franchise series. It could be as big or bigger than Indiana Jones if it was done well and had good casting. Anyway, I'm glad to see that there are some other Doc fans out here!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Ktrek

I thought I'd post some of the Bantam covers and also some of the original pulp magazine covers. I love the Bantam artwork, mostly done by Bama. Great stuff!

Kevin

Duffster

Ahh memories. I have all of those Bantams you showed . Brand of the Werewolf was the first one that Pat showed up in I believe. I was definitely infatuated by her character in the books.

I also agree that there needs to be a really good Doc Savage movie made. I saw the first one for my birthday as a kid.... wow was I disappointed!!

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Rico

What actor today would make a good Doc Savage?

Locutus

Brendan Frasier

Richard Burgi
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.