AirBus A380 Cockpit

Started by MSUFan, February 26, 2008, 09:31:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MSUFan

Thought this picture was pretty cool. Fairly simple and straight forward design, but technologically intense... Take a look

http://www.gillesvidal.com/blogpano/cockpit1.htm

Rico

billybob476

Being a private pilot myself this is very cool. I like the way the engineer's station has been reduced to a laptop.

MSUFan

Quote from: billybob476 on February 26, 2008, 10:09:33 AM
Being a private pilot myself this is very cool. I like the way the engineer's station has been reduced to a laptop.

Billy, being a private pilot, how come the joystick is on the left for the pilot in the Airbus cockpit? Myself having no flight experience besides Microsoft Flight Simulator thinks that would be kind of awkward for a right handed person ;).

billybob476

Actually, even in small planes (like the Cessna 172's I fly) you fly with your left hand. The pilot in command always flies left seat and the copilot flies right seat. You hold the stick with your left becuase all your "common" controls (thorttle, flaps, trim, landing gear etc) are in the middle of the two seats.

The only thing I've flown right handed are gliders (I got my glider license the year before my private). They have a stick that you hold with your right hand and the control for your spoilers in on the left.

MSUFan

Quote from: billybob476 on February 26, 2008, 10:26:31 AM
Actually, even in small planes (like the Cessna 172's I fly) you fly with your left hand. The pilot in command always flies left seat and the copilot flies right seat. You hold the stick with your left becuase all your "common" controls (thorttle, flaps, trim, landing gear etc) are in the middle of the two seats.

The only thing I've flown right handed are gliders (I got my glider license the year before my private). They have a stick that you hold with your right hand and the control for your spoilers in on the left.

Well now thinking about it like that, it makes perfect sense lol.

X

Or Lefties are just better made to fly tin.

Rico

Quote from: Just X on February 26, 2008, 12:15:22 PM
Or Lefties are just better made to fly tin.

Now you're talking!  ;)

billybob476

all that to say that if you want the full experience from MS flight simulator, you'd better hold that joystick with your left hand.

ElfManDan

My father a private pilot himself (and the one who got me into Star Trek) owns his own Cessna 172. I've been out flying always from the rights seat of course. Fun to fly and quiet a hoot when you can tall your friends "I've piloted a plane," but from all the times of doing that I know that our plane actually has a stiring wheel. And I'm told by my father (Nearby) that Cessnas all have the wheels.

Darth Gaos

Wow....very cool presentation.  That was awesome
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

billybob476

Quote from: Sheppard on February 26, 2008, 06:07:29 PM
My father a private pilot himself (and the one who got me into Star Trek) owns his own Cessna 172. I've been out flying always from the rights seat of course. Fun to fly and quiet a hoot when you can tall your friends "I've piloted a plane," but from all the times of doing that I know that our plane actually has a stiring wheel. And I'm told by my father (Nearby) that Cessnas all have the wheels.

Yeah, it's a wheel. Which the PIC holds with his left hand.

ElfManDan

Quote from: billybob476 on March 04, 2008, 04:58:10 AM
Yeah, it's a wheel. Which the PIC holds with his left hand.

Yeah that's true, suppose its the like in a manual car, I drive mine with my left hand and shift with my right.