The Last Full Measure

Started by Darth Gaos, February 12, 2008, 09:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Gaos

After listening to the podcast today I wanted to ask a question about the Enterprise book "The Last Full Measure".  I have not seen the last season of Enterprise and was wondering if this book is a basically a novel form of a few episodes of the show?  Does this book cover the "death" of Trip?  Would it behoove me to read this book before I picked up "Measure of a Man"?  I really want toread the latter but I am willing to also go with the former if it further explains what is going on.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Rico

I think this book covers some of the events of the third season of Enterprise and the Xindi arc.  Here is the back cover synopsis of this novel:

BACK COVER COPY

Without warning or provocation, a Xindi weapon appears above Earth and unleashes a blast that kills millions across two continents. It is only the first such weapon: a second is being built, and this time it might very well destroy the entire planet. Desperately trying to save the Earth and her people, Starfleet must, in a heartbeat, change its mission from one of peaceful scientific exploration to one of military service.

There is only one ship fast enought to stop construction of this new weapon: the Starship Enterprise. But its crew can't do it alone. Captain Jonathan Archer accepts aboard his ship a contingent of Military Assault Command Operations personnel: battle-hardened soldiers known as MACOs.

Starfleet and the MACOs are two very different services now sharing a common goal, but they are as to how to reach it. It is a culture clash that echoes across centuries of military service. The men and women aboard Enterprise know they must succeed in working together or the price will be paid in the blood of innocents. Failure is not an option.

Darth Gaos

I guess the more direct question would be is "Measure of a Man" a sequel to "Last Full Measure"?

Ktrek

THIS POST HAS BEEN CORRECTED BELOW!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Where can I find this "Measure of a Man" book?  I don't see it on Amazon.  I see "The Good that Men Do" and "The Last Measure."  But not this other book you guys are speaking of.

Ktrek

Acck! I thought something was goofy. I was working off memory instead of actually checking out the books. So revise my last post to read:

QuoteNo...you do not have to read Last Full Measure first to appreciate The Good that Men Do. TGTMD is a sequel in that it's their next book in the ENT series but you will not really be missing anything of importance to the story by not reading LFM.

TGTMD is a very well written story although I cannot in all honesty say I like the direction M&M took with it by basically saying that what played out onscreen (Trip's death) was a lie and a coverup. That aside it was a fine novel.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Geekyfanboy

Yeah I thought Measure of a Man was a title of an episode of TNG

billybob476

It was. The one where data is on trial and Riker shuts him off.

Rico

Well - this was a confusing topic.  For the record, there is no such Trek novel called "The Measure of a Man."  Like I wrote above "The Last Full Measure" deals with the Macos aboard the Enterprise during the third season Xindi arc.  The book "The Good that Men Do" deals with the death of Trip and the post Enterprise series time line.

Darth Gaos

My bad...I totally confused the two...I was talking about "Last Full Measure" and "The Good That Men Do".  Sorry, I am at work and fighting a wicked chest cold...so I am not at my best.  Again apologies.