Sideshow 12" Gen. Kenobi Armored Figure

Started by Dan M, February 18, 2008, 01:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan M

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on February 22, 2008, 04:14:49 PM
Diamond Select Toys make some great action figures with great likeness.. so I have high hopes for there quarter scale figures for Star Trek, Star Wars and Indy.
Kenny, I've collected many of their lines (Buffy/Angel, Trek, Galactica, Stargate) and, in my opinion, DST is hit-or-miss with their likenesses.

Rico, I don't pretend to understand how these licenses are parsed, but DST is making articulated figures, while Sideshow's PFs are non-articulated.

Rico

How do you know the large scale DST "Star Wars" figures that are being worked on are articulated?  Is that info stated somewhere?  We certainly have seen companies share a license before.

Dan M

I read it somewhere during the Toy Fair coverage.  I'll try to track it down.

Dan M

According to DST's press release, they'll be "hyper-detailed and super poseable figures".

Rico

Ahh, cool.  I found some more info and a picture of DST's Darth Maul.  I like the prices I'm hearing - a lot!

The Force is truly with Diamond Select and they're using it in a big way: a really big way.

Diamond announced plans to release a line of 1:4 scale, fully poseable figures starting with favorites like Darth Maul, Han Solo in Hoth gear and New Hope Obi-Wan Kenobi. They come with cloth costumes and boast 15-20 points of articulation. These are some of the coolest and biggest figures we've ever seen.

Speaking of big, Diamond's not stopping there. They've also got a 1:3 scale, 24-inch Clone Trooper figure with 10 points of articulation on the slate for a price tag around $40 and a full size Yoda that will stand at 30 inches tall and have a sculpted body underneath cloth clothing.

Diamond also has plans for a whole line of banks including masked and unmasked Vader models, a Boba Fett version with lights and sound, a full size Storm Trooper helmet bank and a Millennium Falcon money holder.

The bankable ideas don't stop with Star Wars though, Diamond also plans to make a series of banks based on George Lucas' other film series, which you may have heard of: Indiana Jones.

In addition to banks based on the fertility idol and various characters, Diamond is also giving Indy the 1:4 scale treatment with a figure that you won't be able to keep away from doom filled temples or final crusades.

source:
http://www.wizarduniverse.com/021608diaselindynytf.html

Blackride

Quote from: Rico on February 22, 2008, 10:45:45 AM
Exclusive edition sold out now - very fast.  In like 10 minutes.  Hmmm, maybe I'll eBay mine.   ;)

I got a few of them before they were sold out. I am not one for extended universe stuff but Sideshow Exclusive stuff sells for a ton :O
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Dan M

Not that it won't be very cool, but "a 1:3 scale, 24-inch Clone Trooper figure with 10 points of articulation on the slate for a price tag around $40" is scary to me.  Not even Hasbro, which along with its great products has produced some abominations, could match that pricing.

But, man, if it's even remotely good-looking, I'll be all over "a full size Yoda that will stand at 30 inches tall and have a sculpted body underneath cloth clothing".

Like I said, time will tell, but I remain skeptical just from my experience with other manufacturers and my specific experiences as a collector of many of DST's lines.

Blackride

Quote from: pickard on February 23, 2008, 02:09:23 PM

30 inches tall and have a sculpted body underneath cloth clothing".

judt not TOO sculpted!
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Dan M

An eyewitness ToyFair recap from D.Martin of RebelScum:

Diamond Select Toys also shined this year with a range of cool stuff in all their popular lines as well as the addition of a new license that is the toy world's equivalent of a permit to print money. Personally I'm very excited with where they are taking the Art Asylum Star Trek line, with the addition of the Borg wave (the sound of Homer drooling over a donut) two figures based on the original motion picture, which is too cool for words. Their ΒΌ scale Star Wars figures are also pretty dang cool, and while we know that they still need to do more work on them, the $75 price point will offer a venue for collectors who can't dedicate the bank to collect Sideshow Collectible's fantastic Premium Format figures.

http://www.rebelscum.com/story/front/3489_Posted_Photos_After_Toy_Fair_112738.asp

- Dan (the other D. Martin), "pickard"