Subliminal Messages on Sci fi??

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 13, 2008, 03:09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Hmmm this is strange.. I'll have to check my DVR

Are They Already Here!
Posted by Sam on Wednesday, 13 Aug 2008

http://www.sliceofscifi.com/2008/08/13/are-they-already-here/

Kurt in St. George, our Slice of Trivia guru, sent us an email stating that either the SCI FI Channel or the writers for "Eureka" or taking a page straight out of the Rowdy Roddy Piper "They Live" play-book.

It seems this fan had recorded episode one of this season's SCI FI Channel "Eureka" series on his TiVo. When Kurt played it back, at the end of the show, just before SCI FI began its blasphemous wrestling match this message came up for a micro-second — "LISTEN" appeared on the screen. He had to replay the segment frame by frame in stop motion before he could make it out, but there it was. The only reason he even thought to do so was because he thought he saw a flash of something out of the corner of his eye and did the frame-by-frame playback to see what it was he may have missed, since playing it in normal time revealed nothing.

For those who may not be familiar with Roddy Piper, he was a famous wrestler in the 1980's that became an actor and his most popular movie was called "The Live," a sci-fi movie about aliens invading Earth by using subliminal messages on TV, movies, billboards, or wherever visual aids were used. The film was directed by John Carpenter and was actually a pretty descent story.

Could SCI FI be using such a method to capture an audience for wrestling from a group of sci-fi geeks who would normally click off the channel at the end of Eureka? Stranger things have happened.

If you still have this particular episode of "Eureka" taped on your TiVo or DVR, try the exercise and see if you get the same subliminal "LISTEN" message. Some members of the SCI FI Channel forum state they also noticed the message. Call in our voicemail number 206-339-TREK, that's 206-339-8735, and tell us if you caught it too.

wraith1701

Creepy. 
Oh well, at least it didn't say something like "obey". ;)

Does anyone know if there is a law against placing subliminal messages in video and music media?  Just wondering...

Jen

It's used in marketing all the time. I've seen subliminal messages in ads that feature steam rising off of coffee cups and in cigarette smoke. We studied it in college. I don't think there are any laws against this. I DVR'ed Eureka... I'm going to have to check that out.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

alanp

Lets get Roddy on the phone! He'll protect us from the aliens.

"I am here to kick *** and chew bubble gum; and I'm all out of gum."  from They Live.  Roddy's famous adlib that has been redone a thousand times!

KingIsaacLinksr

Creeeeeeepy. 

Makes me scared to watch TV now....;)

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Darth Gaos

If true that would just slighly CREEPY!  I am going to have to pay attention this week.  BTW I loved "They Live"...great cheesy sci-fi movie.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Jen

Quote from: AlanP on August 13, 2008, 07:52:43 PM
Lets get Roddy on the phone! He'll protect us from the aliens.

"I am here to kick *** and chew bubble gum; and I'm all out of gum."  from They Live.  Roddy's famous adlib that has been redone a thousand times!

Also a quote from Duke Nukem :)
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

moyer777

Subliminal Messages? 

I don't BELIEVE in them.  :)

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Jen

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

KingIsaacLinksr

A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

The thing I've never been able to swallow with this type of thing is even when I see a full ad in a commercial it doesn't make me want to run out and get whatever it is.  How a frame or two of something can make me even more interested is hard to understand.  I just don't quite buy that this is effective.

sheldor

Quote from: Rico on August 14, 2008, 04:52:09 AM
The thing I've never been able to swallow with this type of thing is even when I see a full ad in a commercial it doesn't make me want to run out and get whatever it is.  How a frame or two of something can make me even more interested is hard to understand.  I just don't quite buy that this is effective.

Especially if we are talking about "wrestling".   Hard to believe it still lives

Jen

Quote from: Rico on August 14, 2008, 04:52:09 AM

Some people are probably more susceptible  to it than others. It's like hypnotisim. I bet the longer you watch something with a subliminal message attached, the more brain washed you become. If it didn't work, they probably wouldn't do it. You will soon be practicing "the claw" and throwing folding chairs at each other....  :D
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Bryancd

Quote from: wraith1701 on August 13, 2008, 05:28:08 PM
Creepy. 
Oh well, at least it didn't say something like "obey". ;)

Does anyone know if there is a law against placing subliminal messages in video and music media?  Just wondering...

Actually, I think there might be a a prohibition to that kind of advertising. For some reason I recall reading about that once.

Bryancd

Here is what I think I saw:

It is obvious that by tapping into the consumer's unconscious mind without their knowledge, the advertisers are engaging in deceptive practices. It is also an invasion of privacy. There are numerous legislation that prohibit advertisers from using subliminal messages in their ads. The FTC (Federal Trade Commission) Act Sec 5 - "prohibits unfair or deceptive acts or practices in interstate commerce." They also claim they "have primary responsibility for regulation of advertising in this country." However, Key writes that "there appears to be nothing here that would provoke the FTC into a charge of deceptive advertising." The TV Code of the National Association of Broadcasters (IV, 14) states: "Any technique whereby an attempt is made to convey information to the viewer by transmitting messages below the threshold of normal awareness is not permitted." Unfortunately, these laws are vaguely stated yet greatly limited. The most potentially effective regulation is made by the U.S. Treasury Department, Division of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF). It states:
Subliminals are inherently deceptive because the consumer does not perceive them at a normal level of awareness, and thus is given no choice whether to accept or reject the message, as is the case with normal advertising. ATF holds that this type of advertising technique is false and deceptive, and is prohibited by law.

The problem in this legal fight is not legislation, unfortunately. It is the proof. Because of its nature, subliminal messages are nearly impossible to prove. How do you prove to the judge there is a naked women in the Diet Coke can? How do you prove to the jury there are screaming faces hidden ice cubes? In this legal system, you can't. The evidence would be considered circumstantial. Advertisers would of course deny any such activity and claim that if you stare into anything long enough, you will find it. The most substantial evidence is they spending billions annually on research and subliminal advertising. Therefore, it must work?!? Another crutch against us is that no one, including the advertisers, know how the brain works. They just know that it does. Until we can scientifically prove subliminal perception, this quest may be in vain. Key writes: "The rules prohibiting repressed media content have been ignored. None of the regulations have ever been enforced." It seems like we are on losing grounds in this legal battle.