World of Goo

Started by Rico, May 01, 2009, 10:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Been thinking of trying this.  Anyone played it?

World of Goo Trailer 2 Director's Cut

billybob476

Haven't tried it myself but I know Scott over at Extralife was loving it for awhile.

Bryancd

I heard about it as well on ExtraLife.

cosmonaut

Well, it's a physics simulation. You pick up those tiny balls and stick them together. The video is a bit misleading, there is not much action.

But the first level of the game is incredible beautiful, picking up those cute little goo balls and building structures (bridges, towers, strings) is much fun. Those structures swing and balance is an issue. There are different types of goo and you figure out what to do with them. The design and the music gives it a dense atmosphere, it feels more like a poem coming alive. The video gives a good impression. If all levels were like this one I'd say get it.

Sadly the later levels (there are about six) become more of a puzzle game where you have to build around stuff, get things from a to b, blow stuff up. That's where the fun ends. I get things like this pretty fast, thats my nerdy super-power, but solving those tasks is boring. Feels nothing like the first level.

My partner (ego-shooter&strategy) likes it, and so do I (rpg&strategy&puzzles&ego-shooter). 20$ seems OK, 15$ would have been better. I don't know what kind of games you play (besides WOW), but I'd say try.