BSG - MMO

Started by Geekyfanboy, March 09, 2010, 01:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

http://kotaku.com/5489428/

Battlestar Galactica Gets Its Own Massively Multiplayer Game

The battle for the fate of humanity continues this fall, when NBC Universal and Bigpoint launch Battlestar Galactica Online, a massively multiplayer browser-based game set in the universe of the award-winning Syfy television series. Can I get a frak yeah?

Tactical space combat and adventure are the name of the game in Battlestar Galactica Online, a joint venture between NBC and browser-based MMO leader Bigpoint. Co-developed by Unity, the game will feature a dramatic storyline spanning multiple worlds, a wide array of ships and weapons, and multiple character classes to help get fans of the series in the mood to fight for the future of our species, or against it.

Yes, players will be able to choose to fight as a human or Cylon, and I am assuming one will have a much more complex character creation process than the other. Players will alternate between tactical space combat and mission-based gameplay, delving deeper into the secrets of the Battlestar universe than ever before.

The game is developed using the Unity platform, a game engine that allows for real-time 3D applications with high quality graphics to run in a browser window. Visit Unity3D.com to get an idea of what the engine is capable of.

"Battlestar Galactica is a supremely gameable intellectual property, with compelling character classes, a fantastic array of ships and weaponry, multiple worlds, and a dramatic storyline," said Bill Kispert, VP & GM, Digital Platforms, Universal Partnerships & Licensing. " We are excited to work with Bigpoint – and our partners at Universal Cable Productions and Syfy – to bring an epic, accessible, and 'always on' BSG experience to fans of the franchise and online gamers alike."

A "supremely gameable" intellectual property that has yet to provide fans with an enjoyable gaming experience. Hopefully that will change this fall, when Battlestar Galactica Online debuts exclusively on Syfy.com.

Fans can register at the Battlestar Galactica Online teaser site to receive updates and news. The game is currently being shown at GDC, so maybe one of our guys can swing by and take a look-see.

Bromptonboy

oh yeah!  Thanks for the good news Kenny.  I wonder if they will replicate the 'New Cap City' from Caprica?
Pete

KingIsaacLinksr

Hmm...

I'm extremely skeptical after STO's....release.  But thanks for sharing Kenny. 

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Blackride

Must we make everything into an MMO?
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

billybob476

Treks in Sci Fi forums MMO!