AHHHGH! Stop the madness!

Started by QuadShot, July 07, 2010, 10:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AtlantisAngel

D'you think there is outreach programme for people like me? Is there a cure!?
Captain Kathryn Janeway: [entering the mess hall] Coffee, black.
Neelix: Uh, sorry, Captain. We lost two more replicators this morning...
Captain Kathryn Janeway: Listen to me very carefully, because I'm only going to say this once: Coffee. Black.
Neelix: Yes, ma'am.

QuadShot

Well, none have been mainstreamed yet, but we are working on a cure that involves shock therapy, caffein and a 24 hour Heros marathon! :)

moyer777

thanks for the text Al.  It made me lol!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

QuadShot

IMHO it was my pleasure. TTFN, GTCB, Late...LOL :) (See, I'M hip to the textese too!)

AtlantisAngel

Quote from: QuadShot on July 10, 2010, 10:10:34 AM
Well, none have been mainstreamed yet, but we are working on a cure that involves shock therapy, caffein and a 24 hour Heros marathon! :)

Does it have to be Heroes?? Can it not be something like Buck Rogers or Space 1999?
Captain Kathryn Janeway: Listen to me very carefully, because I'm only going to say this once: Coffee. Black.

QuadShot

Oh nooo, has to be something that will help recondition..!

AtlantisAngel

Well Heroes isn't the way to go with me... Sorry but it'll make me confused

Feathers

I'd text you Rick but I'm not paying international rates!

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

AtlantisAngel

Had an epic three hour text conversation with my best mate from uni Thursday. Thank you O2 for unlimited texts

RickPeete

Wow!  How did I miss this thread?

Okay so I can't resist but through my hat into the ring.  I am going to be 50 years old in three weeks and I can tell you that being an avid texter has nothing to do with age!  LOL

I do agree that texting while involved in a social function (like dinner, a party, a meeting, etc) is pretty rude.  But I have to admit that when my wife, son, and I are out to dinner, it has occurred that we are all three active on our devices (Christi and I on our iPhones and Ryan on his DSi).  But that does not last too long because, let's face it, I love to talk to people! LOL

As a youth minister and father of three kids (two with cell phones), I can tell you that I am texting throughout the day.  I find that kids are just more comfortable texting things on a 'just in time' basis.  They think of something that needs to be shared, debated, or taken care of and they immediately text it out.  Partially because that way they don't forget, partly because they can get faster responses from their community of friends, and partly because it is cool.

I think the issue is complex.  People text because it is convenient.  They text because you never know the circumstances of the receiver (e.g. they are in class, in a meeting, or someplace where voice is inappropriate).  They text because the conversations tend to stay more on topic (less tangents).  They text because they can refer back to the responses rather than rely on their memories of a vocal conversation.  You name it...

Sometimes they text because it is 'safe' (when perhaps they don't feel comfortable having the conversation face-to-face or on the phone for fear of confrontation).  It is easier to send/receive unwelcome news via text than it is when you have to see/hear the emotion from the other person.

I would have been a little upset myself if my daughter was texting instead of relating to the family during the drive.  Given that you two have not seen each other in such a long time, I would imagine there was a certain level of anxiety on her part so keeping in touch with her friends might have been a source of comfort for her while she was figuring out the dynamics.  Of course, not talking would make it that much more difficult to build the comfort level so burying herself in the device would be somewhat counter-productive towards that end.

moyer777

our whole podcast this week is on this subject.  Prett cool.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

QuadShot

RickPeete,
I do understand the "why" of why she spent so much time texting, without sounds pompous, I have a BA in Psychology and really enjoy the "whys" of what people do...as long as it's OTHER people LOL! I get that she was most likely uncomfortable, as was I. And for some strange reason she's a jock (excellent one at that) and is pretty reserved in the emotion department.  So, she never really expressed any discomfort, joy, excitement at being at Disneyland (holy crap, could she be MY daughter then?? :)). It's just tough when all the stuff you read about, see in the news, about families being more and more distant with one another being your family.  Thanks for the comments! Take care, Al