ID's "Rage" mobile game

Started by Rico, November 23, 2010, 09:25:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

This game makes me want an iPad or iPhone.

http://www.idsoftware.com/rage-mobile/

billybob476

I'm tempted to try it but I'm not sure it'll run well on my aging iPhone 3G :)

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on November 23, 2010, 09:27:47 AM
I'm tempted to try it but I'm not sure it'll run well on my aging iPhone 3G :)

Time to go sit on Santa Steve Job's lap and ask for a holiday upgrade Joe.  ;)

billybob476

hehe I can upgrade in January but I'm contemplating holding out till July for the inevitable next revision of the hardware.

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on November 23, 2010, 09:45:58 AM
hehe I can upgrade in January but I'm contemplating holding out till July for the inevitable next revision of the hardware.

How does upgrading work with iPhone and Apple?  Is it free for a new piece of hardware or some lower cost?  It must still be less than someone buying one for the first time.

Bryancd

With my iPad I just plug it into the iMac, it launches iTunes and does an automatic software update as well as music/pics/ and backs up all aps. This gane loos great! I need to check it out.

billybob476

Quote from: Rico on November 23, 2010, 09:52:17 AM
Quote from: billybob476 on November 23, 2010, 09:45:58 AM

How does upgrading work with iPhone and Apple?  Is it free for a new piece of hardware or some lower cost?  It must still be less than someone buying one for the first time.

It's like buying any cell phone. When your contract comes up for renewal, you can buy a new device at the carrier discounted price. So a 16GB iPhone 4 is 159 and a 32GB is 299 or something. Otherwise they are somethign like 549 and 749 full price.

Rico

I was talking hardware updates Bryan.  So Joe can pitch that iPhone 3 for a 4.  I've never really known how the costs break down for a new iPhone.

- update -

Ahh, got it now Joe.  I guess I've never seen those "non-contract" iPhone prices since I doubt many people ever go that route.

Jobydrone

This game looks nice.  I like on-rail shooters like House of the Dead, and at only $1.99 it's hard to pass up.  People have beeen complaining it's too short though, not even an hour of play time.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

I bought the HD version for my iPad last night, the game is awesome and looks great!

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on November 24, 2010, 06:04:04 AM
I bought the HD version for my iPad last night, the game is awesome and looks great!

So how is it controlling everything by touch?  Does that work ok?

Bryancd

Moving forward is automatic. The game will allow for pauses while you battle and shot bad guys and once the room is clear, you move on. You look aroung by tiltlting the screen the screen and shot by taping the fire button on the bottom left of the screen. You can also grab $ and health and shoot targets to get more ammo and stuff. I only played the tutorial for about 5min last night, but it was easy to get the hang of it.