Marvel Comics and Starbucks

Started by Rico, March 24, 2011, 06:04:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

This is some pretty cool news!  I may need to start drinking coffee and going to Starbucks (I do like the name).  ;)

From That's Nerdalicious: Starbucks is planning to expand its in-house Digital Network with new offerings from Yahoo, The Economist, ESPN Insider Rumor Central, Mediabistro and, most importantly, Marvel Comics.

From the press release:

On the Entertainment Channel, watch for the upcoming arrival of the Marvel Universe as Super Heroes, mutants, aliens, armor-clad super-geniuses and thunder gods join forces with the Starbucks Digital Network on Apr. 23, 2011. Known for engrossing stories and a library of more than 8,000 characters, Marvel Comics gives Starbucks customers unlimited, free access to its full library of Marvel Digital Comics Unlimited. Spider-Man, Iron Man, Thor, Wolverine and others await to captivate as customers explore the comic realm and imagine fighting villains with a cup of coffee in hand.

Needless to say, that is extremely awesome. It will definitely get me going to Starbucks more often (which, admittedly, is already pretty often). Hell, they will have a hard time getting me to leave.

http://nerdapproved.com/misc-weirdness/starbucks-bringing-free-marvel-comics-to-its-digital-network/

Dangelus

That is very cool.

I can see tables never being clearer but filled with geeks who take 3 hours to drink one coffee! Lol.

Feathers

Quote from: Dangelus on March 25, 2011, 12:18:14 AM
That is very cool.

I can see tables never being clearer but filled with geeks who take 3 hours to drink one coffee! Lol.

Yes, this may not be the wisest move for the business!

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Quote from: Feathers on March 25, 2011, 06:41:37 AM
Quote from: Dangelus on March 25, 2011, 12:18:14 AM
That is very cool.

Yes, this may not be the wisest move for the business!

As long as it brings in people, I'd say it's a good move.  You should get more for a $5.00 cup of coffee.  ;)

Ktrek

Does the Marvel online site require any kind of specific reader? Or is there and app that can be downloaded for viewing? My wife bought me a nook color in October and I softrooted it to take advantage of it's Android OS. I love it! I can do a lot of things that can be done on an Ipad but for a whole lot less mulah! I will for sure go to Starbucks to take advantage of this deal!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Rico

Quote from: Ktrek on March 25, 2011, 08:51:49 PM
Does the Marvel online site require any kind of specific reader? Or is there and app that can be downloaded for viewing? My wife bought me a nook color in October and I softrooted it to take advantage of it's Android OS. I love it! I can do a lot of things that can be done on an Ipad but for a whole lot less mulah! I will for sure go to Starbucks to take advantage of this deal!

Kevin

I don't think you can use your Nook for this - at least not easily.  The only thing I found with a quick Google search is doing something called "rooting your Nook" in order to view comics??  I'm guessing that's some type of hack.  See this:  http://identi.ca/attachment/37125723

WillEagle

I don't have a Starbucks around here.  :(