E3 2011 news and updates

Started by Jobydrone, June 07, 2011, 08:44:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KingIsaacLinksr

A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jobydrone

I agree with you to an extent.  I was just playing Bioshock on my iMac and it's a much different experience than I had on my 360 a few years ago.  I still havent adjusted to mouse and keyboard but it's super cool using the mouse to spin around about 1000x faster than you could with a controller.  Console gaming is so different than PC gaming though, it's almost a completely different category.  Which I think is part of the reason Microsoft mentions nothing about PC at this conference.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on June 07, 2011, 10:44:18 AM
I agree with you to an extent.  I was just playing Bioshock on my iMac and it's a much different experience than I had on my 360 a few years ago.  I still havent adjusted to mouse and keyboard but it's super cool using the mouse to spin around about 1000x faster than you could with a controller.  Console gaming is so different than PC gaming though, it's almost a completely different category.  Which I think is part of the reason Microsoft mentions nothing about PC at this conference.

As far as I know Microsoft doesn't develop games for PC anymore.  Although I could be wrong.  But if I'm not, that's why they never talk about it, they are more concerned with the XBOX platform which they can control more and worry less about piracy and etc.  

In all truth, Valve is pushing gaming a lot more than Microsoft ever did on the PC.  Steam, the games, etc.  (Fan of steam)  Obviously Valve isn't the only publisher on the platform, but they have certainly made it more accessible for the Digital market.  Microsoft has, by all the looks of it, abandoned their digital "Made for Windows" gaming store.  

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Jobydrone

Right, but Microsoft has always considered Windows as a game platform as much as their consoles...I guess not as much recently though, considering the mind blowing failure of Windows live.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on June 15, 2011, 09:02:09 AM
So this new Wii U can't play DVD films or Blu-Ray.  Really Nintendo?

http://www.tgdaily.com/games-and-entertainment-brief/56643-wii-u-will-not-play-dvd-or-bd-movies

Kudos to them for sticking to their principles but I think this is a mistake. People want to consolidate their technology not have multiple entertainment devices.

billybob476

Honestly, they may just be looking to the future. I think I use my blu ray player once every 3 or 4 months at this point. The wii already supports netflix, I assume the WiiU will bring full HD support to that as well.

Jobydrone

It doesn't make sense...you can do a software modification to the Wii that allows it to function as a DVD player.  Nintendo purposely prevents cusomers from using their Wii's for DVD playback for some unknown reason.

Dangelus

Quote from: billybob476 on June 15, 2011, 09:34:28 AM
Honestly, they may just be looking to the future. I think I use my blu ray player once every 3 or 4 months at this point. The wii already supports netflix, I assume the WiiU will bring full HD support to that as well.

Which is the irony. Nintendo's argument is they want their conspled to be solely gaming machines yet the Wii has Netflix.