Windows 8 tablets

Started by Rico, June 04, 2012, 08:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X

As to the price, I think it's pretty on par with the better tablets out there and it's a pretty solid build. When you throw in a free version of office, it's worth it. Hell, Office is one of the main things that people ask about when looking at tablets.

MARKO

windows 8 tablet.... Yawn.....
"Amat Victoria Curam"

Jobydrone

Quote from: X on October 16, 2012, 03:15:52 PM
There are two types of windows Surface ... ones that run RT and ones that run windows 8.

The Rt version will come with office for free and run apps. It's pretty much the MS version of IOS and the full 8 will run apps and full software, but doesn't come office, but has the functionality of a full laptop in a tablet package.
I love the thought of this.  I totally love the portability of my iPad, and the ease with which I can use it to read books, comics, and watch TV and movies.  I really miss the ability to play full PC games like WoW and Diablo, and run software that is designed for computers and not just tablets.  If the Win 8 tablet is anywhere near affordably priced, for me being no more than 800 bucks, and has a sufficiently powerful processor to run recent PC games like WoW and Diablo (I have to wonder about this, 3D graphics capability might be beyond tablets right?) then I think I might have to abandon Apple when it's time to replace my original iPad.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Jobydrone

Quote from: Rico on October 16, 2012, 02:26:27 PM
Quote from: Jobydrone on October 16, 2012, 09:09:10 AM
It looks like later on, no release date announced yet, there are Windows tablets coming out that will run Windows 8, Windows 8 Professional and Windows 8 Enterprise rather than RT.  I imagine those will be significantly more expensive but should run any software that a PC or laptop with an equivalent processor would run, right?

I think those tablets are out now - they are called laptops.  :)
Ahem, to quote you Rico, "The right tool for the right job"...Laptops suck for reading comics and ebooks.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

X

Quote from: Jobydrone on October 17, 2012, 07:55:16 AM
It looks like later on, no release date announced yet, there are Windows tablets coming out that will run Windows 8, Windows 8 Professional and Windows 8 Enterprise rather than RT.  I imagine those will be significantly more expensive but should run any software that a PC or laptop with an equivalent processor would run, right?

Ahem, to quote you Rico, "The right tool for the right job"...Laptops suck for reading comics and ebooks.
So true!

Rico

Yep - if that is all you are needing the "tool" to do, then a tablet or just a reader is good.  But you don't need to make a tablet that costs $500 plus to just read comics and books.  My laptop comment was directed more at these high end tablets with a keyboard are pretty darn close to a laptop in terms of power and design - not to mention price.  I really think a $200 - $250 tablet like the new Kindle Fire HD, or the Nexus 7 or possibly the iPad mini would be the sweet spot for a reader device.  That's the right tool for the right job.  :)

Jobydrone

Quote from: Rico on October 17, 2012, 08:41:50 AM

Yep - if that is all you are needing the "tool" to do, then a tablet or just a reader is good.  But you don't need to make a tablet that costs $500 plus to just read comics and books.  My laptop comment was directed more at these high end tablets with a keyboard are pretty darn close to a laptop in terms of power and design - not to mention price.  I really think a $200 - $250 tablet like the new Kindle Fire HD, or the Nexus 7 or possibly the iPad mini would be the sweet spot for a reader device.  That's the right tool for the right job.  :)
I agree, but I'm the type of user that would love to have the portability of a tablet that works great as a reader for comics and books, and also be able to enjoy widescreen HD movies and play *real* games on the same device.  If that device can also do all the common things a laptop does (web browse, email, print, access and edit documents and pictures in different common formats, display HD video, etc etc) and do so all at a price that is comeptitive with or even a little bit higher than a high end iPad I think it's going to really shake up the world of personal computing, and even significantly hit the massive lead Apple has in the tablet market right now.

edit to add:  I know I'm repeating myself here.  I'm just trying to quantify what I love so much about my iPad, and identify what would make it the perfect device in my opinion.  The ability to run the majority of software available for Windows 8 on a three and a half pound tablet device with a ten inch touchscreen with USB ports and SD slots?  Perfection in my opinion.

Rico

A nice breakdown of the differences between Win RT and true Windows 8 with regards to tablets at the link below.  Bottom line is if you want something to be able to run all your old Windows stuff in a tablet, don't buy these Windows RT versions.

http://gizmodo.com/5952934/what-windows-rt-cant-do

Bromptonboy

Good article, thanks for sharing Rico.
Pete