Syfy's Alphas

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 06, 2009, 08:50:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turtlesrock

i heard! might just need to see this one.

Rico

Renewed for a second season!  Awesome news!

Syfy announced today that it has ordered 13 more episodes of the superhuman drama series "Alphas" for 2012:

Syfy's new super-powered original drama series Alphas, featuring a team of superhuman investigators, will be returning for a second season, it was announced today by Mark Stern, President, Original Content, Syfy, and Co-Head, Original Content, Universal Cable Productions. Syfy is ordering 13 episodes of the breakout scripted summer hit from series producers Universal Cable Productions and BermanBraun Television to air in 2012.

"Alphas' smart, innovative approach to a superhero franchise has clearly caught on with our audience," said Stern. "From the first-rate writing to the outstanding cast lead by David Strathairn, we're very proud of what was achieved in its first season and look forward to seeing this series fulfill even more of its creative potential in a second season."

Alphas debuted on July 11th and became Syfy's most-watched original scripted series premiere in two years. To date, premiere episodes which air Monday nights at 10PM ET/PT have averaged 3.3 million total viewers (including all available Live +7 DVR data).

Comparatively, in both key demos, Alphas has outperformed other new and returning scripted series this season including Teen Wolf, Rescue Me, Hawthorne and The Killing. Alphas also tops Memphis Beat in Adults 18-49.

Alphas has scored impressive numbers with on demand viewers since its July launch averaging over 240,000 plays within 7 days per episode. Alphas is also Syfy's most popular series in digital downloads.

Alphas, airing Monday nights at 10PM ET/PT on Syfy, follows a clandestine group of ordinary people whose unique neurological condition equips them with extraordinary physical abilities. Led by preeminent neurologist and psychiatrist Dr. Lee Rosen (Emmy Award-winner and Academy Award-nominee David Strathairn (Temple Grandin, Good Night, and Good Luck) and operating within the Defense Department, the team investigates cases involving other Alpha activity. The ensemble cast also stars Malik Yoba (New York Undercover, Why Did I Get Married?), Warren Christie (October Road), Azita Ghanizada (Castle), Ryan Cartwright (Bones) and Laura Mennell (Watchmen). Valerie Cruz is a recurring guest star.

Notable guest stars this season include Summer Glau (Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles), Garret Dillahunt (Raising Hope), Lindsay Wagner (The Bionic Woman), Brent Spiner (Star Trek: The Next Generation) and Rebecca Mader (Lost) on September 12th and John Pyper Ferguson (Caprica) on September 26th.

Created by Zak Penn and Michael Karnow, Alphas is a production of Universal Cable Productions and BermanBraun Television.

Read more: Syfy Renews Alphas for Second Season - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/tvnews.php?id=81826#ixzz1XJ8Z5Ywu

Feathers

Looks like we're getting episode 1 of thise (season 1) over here on a channel called 5* tonight. I'm possibly going to be out but I'm interested enough to set the DVR to record it.

(Actually, it's at 10:00 so I think I'll be back by then.)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Dangelus

Quote from: Feathers on October 18, 2011, 05:54:25 AM
Looks like we're getting episode 1 of thise (season 1) over here on a channel called 5* tonight. I'm possibly going to be out but I'm interested enough to set the DVR to record it.

(Actually, it's at 10:00 so I think I'll be back by then.)

I just don't understand who or how UK television networks make buying decisions about US shows. 5*? Really? Either Sky had other things to deal with or the 5 network scooped a great deal here! You watch, i bet season 2 will go to Sky.:)

Rico

Season one was pretty cool and ends with a pretty major "event."  I still highly recommend this series for all to watch.  Cool characters and interesting stories with some cool guest stars showing up too.  Including a very evil Brent Spiner!

Feathers

Quote from: Dangelus on October 18, 2011, 06:15:43 AM
I just don't understand who or how UK television networks make buying decisions about US shows. 5*? Really? Either Sky had other things to deal with or the 5 network scooped a great deal here! You watch, i bet season 2 will go to Sky.:)

Flash Forward went to one of the '5' channels... I therefore expect Alphas to be cancelled.

(Yes, I know it's already been renewed)

Rico

I don't think UK ratings for TV shows are taken into account at all when it comes to renewing or canceling a US made program.

Feathers

No, I know. I was just proposing that 5* would gain a reputation for adopting shows with no future. Clearly that's not really true here.

Geekyfanboy

Finally starting to watch Alphas.. I have the entire season saved on my DVR.. got through the first two episodes so far and loving it.. I hear the season get's better as it goes.. can't wait to see it.

Rico

I think you will really enjoy it Kenny.  Definitely gets more detailed and interesting as the season goes on.

Geekyfanboy

Only have two more episodes left.. really enjoying this series from the beginning. So happy it got a season two.

Feathers

Yes, I know this is an old thread but I don't see one for season two.

I never quite knew how to class this show but given the recent news I guess I don't have to better any more ;(. I don't have the news article to hand but the current theory goes that this has now been cancelled so we won't be getting a season 3.

The move from episodic to arc-based TV is great but it really makes news like this harder to take.

Rico

Yeah, there won't be a season three.  It's too bad since I really enjoyed this series and liked the concept a lot.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/01/16/alphas-cancelled/