Can I make a NPC like charcter that we can do anything with?

Started by Darkmolerman, June 15, 2007, 01:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkmolerman

Well the title said everything, I would like to make a NPC that we can do anything with except kill or do anything that is to major.
"He can't act out of a cardboard box"- Rick Moyer

"I know the answer now sometimes the doctor must look at this planet and look at it in shame" -Gwen Cooper

Geekyfanboy

I'm not sure if I understand your question... If you are going to make a NPC character then that would be just a regular character. NPC characters are Non-Player characters.  They aren't made they are just there to be used. They have no background or profile.

Jen

Hummm....Good question Warren. I'm glad you're interested in writing from another perspective.  ;)

I think what Warren might mean is, if there's a bar full of Naussicans that someone else has written about, can a writer name one of them and tell the story from their point of view in that bar? Just an example of course...I'm I right Warren?

I have to consult with Kenny, but my first instinct would be...Yes....I think. There's a couple of NPCs in the game that I have created, which are ongoing that other folks have written about, like the Acamarian second in command or Sevryll's twins.

I think when Warren asked "can do anything with except kill or do anything major", he meant, are there any limitations to what a NPC can do?  I think there should be limitations on what a NPC can do. But I don't know what those limitations should be.

We should discuss that more. What can a RPG member do with a NPC? Are they like the twins, in the background not doing muchâ€"they just exist to help flesh out Sevryll's character? Or are NPCs like the Acamarian Second in command, who's purpose is to move the story along? Is the Acamarian, a character that only the moderator can create? I'm not sure...

What're your thoughts on this Kenny? :)

What advice would you give on the subject of NPCs to Mr. Warren? :)

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Geekyfanboy

We have three kind of characters...

Major Characters - These are the ones that we create a profile for, we all have one major character. No one should use these characters other then the owner of the character. Example Captain Quinn or Commander Sevryll

Minor Characters - These are characters that we use on a regular bases that help fill out our major characters. Others can use them if needed but not in any major ways. Example Sevryll's kids or Ensign Took

Non-Player Characters  (NPC) - These are characters that don't play important roles, they are background characters, anyone can use them.

Does that make sense? 

Stories should always be told from a major or minor character P.O.V. NPC are not important enough to tell a story from there perspective.

Jen

"Major Characters - These are the ones that we create a profile for, we all have one major character. No one should use these characters other then the owner of the character. Example Captain Quinn or Commander Sevryll."

Kenny's right. But if I could add an addendum (or explain a bit more) it would be that you can't use these characters (like Quinn) as if they were your own, but you can write their end of a conversation in your posts if your character is speaking/interacting with them.

That makes sense Kenny, thank you for elaborating. Does that answer your question Warren? What were you thinking of doing with an NPC? Let Kenny and I know in a PM.  :)
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast