More info about upcoming Star Trek Comic Books

Started by Geekyfanboy, April 30, 2007, 04:04:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Editor’s Logâ€"Stardate: 60773.4

As IDW Publishing’s first foray into the Star Trek universe comes to a closeâ€"June’s release of issue #6, the conclusion to Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Space Betweenâ€"we prepare to embark on another voyageâ€"Star Trek: Year Four. Serving as editor on IDW’s Star Trek line and with Star Trek being such an iconic element of the Earth’s pop culture, I have received numerous inquiries from press and fans alike regarding our plans for Gene Roddenberry’s science-fiction franchise, which has spawned six television series, 10 motion pictures with an eleventh installment due December 2008, and countless previously published works in the forms of novels and comic books.

Star Trek: Klingons: Blood Will Tell

Premiering in April 2007, the five-issue miniseries focusing on the honorable warrior race of Qo’noS wraps up in August. Providing the Klingon perspective on some of the most memorable meetings between the Klingon Empire and the Federation, Star Trek: Klingons: Blood Will Tell, written by Scott and David Tipton with art by Angel's David Messina, offers unique insight into the alien race that grew to become a fan-favorite over the 40-year span of Star Trek’s reign in the upper echelon of the science-fiction genre.

Why Klingons? Why not another alien race such as the Romulans or the Borg? The Klingons have played a major role in the Star Trek universe since they first appeared in The Original Series episode “Errand of Mercy.” Since then, the prestige and mystique of the Klingon race has grown to become a major component of the Star Trek universe. It seemed only fitting to showcase the Klingons in a five-issue series that would be our second Star Trek title. And with so much attention paid to the creation and development of the Klingonsâ€"a long history and tradition as well as an original languageâ€"we were able to present a special look at how they helped shape the Star Trek universe the way it is today.

But that’s not to say that we won’t be visiting and shining the spotlight on other Star Trek alien races. But before we do, there is...

Star Trek: Year Four

Beginning in July, IDW Publishing will be debuting its third Star Trek titleâ€"Star Trek: Year Four. Similar in presentation to Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Space Between, each issue of the six-issue miniseries will offer self-contained stories. Set during the era of the original series, Star Trek: Year Four will pick up where the television series left off and feature stories taking place during the fourth year of their original five-year mission. Star Trek: The Next Generation: The Space Between writer David Tischman is writing the series, which will feature art by Astounding Space Thrills artist Steve Conley.

As has been pointed out, several leading science-fiction writers such as Harlan Ellison and Theodore Sturgeon contributed to the success of Star Trek: The Original Series, which looked at social issues such as sexism, racism, nationalism, global war and theological themes. Writer David Tischman is looking to achieve the same sense of social commentary that was present in many of the episodes during the original television run in the late '60s, while at the same time offering the sense of wonderment and imagination found in quality science fiction stories.

The series will be solely contained within the fourth year of the original five-year mission, and will hopefully lead to a Star Trek: Year Five. Beyond that, we may see stories set during the movie era of the original crew, or perhaps something along the lines of the much-anticipated eleventh Star Trek film being released in December 2008, featuring Kirk and Spock during the early days of their Starfleet careers.

Star Trek: Alien Spotlight

September will see the release of the first issue of a six-issue series that will shine the spotlight on some of the most beloved, revered and feared alien races from the Star Trek universe. Scheduled for the first round of Alien Spotlights are:

o   Vulcansâ€"written by Rick Remender (Fear Agent)
o   Gornâ€"written by Scott and David Tipton (Star Trek: Klingons: Blood Will Tell)
o   Borgâ€"written by Steve Niles (30 Days of Night)
o   Andoriansâ€"written by Paul D. Storrie (Justice League Unlimited)
o   Orion Slave Womenâ€"written by Dan Taylor (Hero Happy Hour)
o   Romulansâ€"John Byrne (The Man of Steel, Next Men)

While the writers on board for the Alien Spotlights might not be familiar to fans as established Star Trek writers, one thing rings true with all of themâ€"they are Star Trek fans. And having various experiences in the scripting of comic books, they each offer a fresh look at the established alien races that should appeal to longtime fans (who may even have a particular favorite alien being featured) as well as new fans looking for insight into the Star Trek universe.

Will there be more races featured in additional Star Trek: Alien Spotlight issues? That is very much a strong possibility with the diversity of alien races to choose from in the Star Trek universe. As the initial Star Trek: Alien Spotlight series is released, fans are bound to lobby for their favorite races that may not have been featured in the first seriesâ€"the Q, Bajoran, Ferengi, Cardassians, Tellarites, etc...

The Future of Star Trek Comics at IDW

Everyone involved with the Star Trek titlesâ€"writers, artists, colorists and editorsâ€"are striving to remain true to the original continuity and canon established by the six television series and 10 motion pictures. While the numerous volumes of Star Trek fiction published by Simon & Schuster’s Pocket Books offers many avenues to explore, the current course is to maintain with the publishing of stories set in The Original Series and The Next Generation lines.

While many fans have expressed their desire to see comic books based on their favorite original Star Trek novels or one of the other television series, focusing on the first two series is a conscious effort to remain true and respectful to the Star Trek property. That is not to say that there will not be a comic-book series based on one of the other Star Trek television series or novels in the future. Personally I feel that it would be great to pick up where Star Trek: Deep Space Nine left off. If IDW’s Star Trek line does well, that may very well be a possibility.

Rico

Nice!  Lots of good stuff coming down the TREK comic pipeline!

Geekyfanboy

I like the idea of the continuation of the stories once the series ended.. I would love to see the story of DS9 and Voyager continue like they are doing with the TOS story.

Ktrek

I used to collect all the Star Trek comic books but comics have gotten so expensive for what you get. Since I don't have a lot of expendale cash I have chosen to use it on staying up with all the Star Trek book releases, which is a considerable annual expense also. I'm just glad I finally finished collecting all those DVDs! Sheesh! WHat was it? about 4 year or more and $700 bucks a year to acuire them all. It was a huge relief the day I got TAS in the mail and I could finally put that baby to bed. I doubt that I'll buy HDDVDs no matter what they tempt me with.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine