Toy Fair 2008

Started by Dan M, February 17, 2008, 06:25:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan M

NY Toy Fair is going on this weekend.  I've been following the news from the following sites:

http://www.figures.com/
http://www.cooltoyreview.com/
http://tf08.superherotimes.com/index.php?cat=1

So far, I'm most excited about DST's Trek offerings.

Here's a few, some of which I never expected from them.

jedijeff

I was a bit surprised to see that the Star Trek Minimate line was branching out past TOS. Also that they are mixing up the series later on with figures from the different Trek series. I would have though they would just step into another Trek series, and not start going all over the board. I guess it might be a strategy to get people interested in other trek minimate series down the road.

Maybe the news that has me the most puzzled is the Diamond license with Star Wars, seems like it is over lapping on other licenses, mainly Side Show, as they will be making some 1/4 and 1/3 size figures. Will be interested to hear more about that. As well I was reading on Yoda's news, and they are coming out with a 1:1 Stormtrooper Helmet??? Not really sure what that means, as I thought efx had the license for Helmets, and MR just released a Helmet last year. All I can think of is that it is not a true replica and a lesser reproduction. I guess I will be interested to hear more about this line, as it sounds like it might be more value priced then other Lines.

So far, I have not been to blown away by Gentle Giant, I am interested in The Anakin Mini Bust, they had a picture of, and the earlier mentioned Obi-Wan Clone armour mini bust, but from looking at the other pictures, nothing much else jumped out at me.

A little disappointed in what I read of the Hasbro Star Wars line, as I dropped collecting a lot of that, and was just focussing on the Astro mechs, but looks like there are going to be a lot of two packs, and ones that you build from buying multiple figures for parts. Not really sure how I am going to manage that, I suspect eBay, as I don't really want all the figures, just to get parts for the one I really want.

The Star Trek Retro figures, I am not really sure what to make of them, it seems like Diamond in really pushing that line. To me, they are not the vintage figures, and don't really look good compared to the more detailed figures they put out. The vintage figure has its charm and place due to when it was made, and that it is vintage, and modern figure made to the same specs just loses its appeal to me, but that is just me. They seem to have a lot of unique TOS figures, it would be nice to see them make those figures in a more modern line.

Dan M

Jeff, I was surprised that you're disappointed by the Hasbro SW offerings.  Those EU figures based on the current comics (Legacy) look awesome.  I can't believe I'm getting "Imperial Knights".  I love that design.

I like how the Clone Wars are done in a realistic style.  I'll definitely pick up some of those.

Doesn't it look like the windswept Luke/Han/Chewie are from the lost scene when they return to the Falcon after defeating Jabba?  That's a weird decision, since no one's seen the scene.   Could this foreshadow a release of the footage through some venue?

I'm disappointed by GG.  I like the Anakin minibust, but I read somewhere that it will be an SDCC exclusive.  Hopefully, that's wrong and SDCC will have an exclusive variant.  Otherwise, I'll be quite upset.

The animated Obi-Wan statue does nothing for me, and you know I'm irrationally drawn to all things Obi-Wan.

I like how DST is expanding Trek MiniMates past TOS.  The TOS stuff just hasn't done it for me, but I'm psyched for TMP, TOS and TNG.

I'm looking forward to the BSG Classic MiniMates coming next month, but the Razor ones are an easy pass for me.

Here's a video of Day 1: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2051741/6476102

Geekyfanboy

Wow.. there are some very cool things coming out this year.. I  love DST Enterprise D ship. Also from DST the Borg Wave and the continuation of Deep Space Nine figures. And from DST the Battlestar Galactica figures... so many awesome action figures.. can't wait to see what NECA is going to offer from the Harry Potter toy line.

jedijeff

Quote from: pickard on February 17, 2008, 08:45:40 AM
Jeff, I was surprised that you're disappointed by the Hasbro SW offerings.  Those EU figures based on the current comics (Legacy) look awesome.  I can't believe I'm getting "Imperial Knights".  I love that design.

I like how the Clone Wars are done in a realistic style.  I'll definitely pick up some of those.

Doesn't it look like the windswept Luke/Han/Chewie are from the lost scene when they return to the Falcon after defeating Jabba?  That's a weird decision, since no one's seen the scene.   Could this foreshadow a release of the footage through some venue?

I'm disappointed by GG.  I like the Anakin minibust, but I read somewhere that it will be an SDCC exclusive.  Hopefully, that's wrong and SDCC will have an exclusive variant.  Otherwise, I'll be quite upset.

The animated Obi-Wan statue does nothing for me, and you know I'm irrationally drawn to all things Obi-Wan.

I like how DST is expanding Trek MiniMates past TOS.  The TOS stuff just hasn't done it for me, but I'm psyched for TMP, TOS and TNG.

I'm looking forward to the BSG Classic MiniMates coming next month, but the Razor ones are an easy pass for me.

Here's a video of Day 1: http://video.yahoo.com/watch/2051741/6476102

I guess my Disappointment with Hasbro was more with having to buy the standard figures so that I can create the Astromech droids. I had found something in the line I could focus on with the droinds, but with building them, it means I have to buy figures I might not want.

I do agree with you on the the clone wars figures, the Obi-Wan in clone Armour will be one that I will pickup, same with the IG droid. What do you think of the new Animated style ones?

On Star Wars action news, they had alluded that the figures from the deleted scene of Return of the Jedi, could mean another release of the original trilogy, with that scene included on the DVD (possibly Blu-Ray). Seems to make sense, that they would release some special figures to promote the DVD.

I sure hope the Anakin GG bust in not a SDCC exclusive, as I would be really disappointed, as so far that was really the only one outside of the Obi-Wan, that I had any interest in. So hopefully like you say, they have a varient for SDCC if they choose to go that route, as I think a lot of people would be upset if they could not get that one through normal channels.

I guess it is really saying something, that you are not interested in the Obi-wan animated maquette. I know your focus on him, so I guess it is to bad that GG could not have done one that was more appealing. The line has been a bit strange for me, there are some pieces I really like, and then there are others that seem to fall short. Generally I like the Animated style, and just recently got a couple, but there are some figures that fell far short of the mark for me (mainly last years stormtrooper). Of the 3 at Rebelscum had photos of, I did not like any of them, and I usually really like Darth Maul, but I just hated that one, and I felt the Obi-wan was the best out of the 3. GG had seem so hot the past few years, but I am wondering if the shine is starting come off of them. I think the clone exclusives from last year upset a lot of people, and then some items that came out that were less then stellar. Add some poor customer service, and they might have a bit of a hill to climb back up again.

Over all I am glad to see they are expanding the Trek minimates line to the other series, for the most part I have been pretty happy with the TOS line, but I can see where getting into other lines might be more inclusive to everyone. I just wonder if this year is a bit of a transition year, as they seem to be sprinkling different trek series into each wave. Wonder if they are going to judge collector interest in the figures, and determine what series they might focus on in 2009.

I have not looked at the Razor figures yet, but I had seen the preorders for the classic ones a few months back and got onboard, so really looking forward to those. With the 30th anniversary on the Original BSG, I am hoping some more things come out for it this year.

jedijeff

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on February 17, 2008, 09:09:52 AM
Wow.. there are some very cool things coming out this year.. I  love DST Enterprise D ship. Also from DST the Borg Wave and the continuation of Deep Space Nine figures. And from DST the Battlestar Galactica figures... so many awesome action figures.. can't wait to see what NECA is going to offer from the Harry Potter toy line.

The BSG figures look nice, though I would like to see a different pose for the Cylon, hopefully he stands more straight, as his legs look awkward. I like the Vipers and Raider they had as well, but looked like a high price tag, so something I would like to see with my own eye before I considered purchasing.

I should really get more of the Diamond Star Trek ships as they do a good job for the price. I liked how the Borg Queen comes apart as well

Geekyfanboy

NECA presents Harry Potter

Last year, they debuted their first toys based on the "Harry Potter" movies and now a year later, those toys have been selling well, and NECA continues to roll out new variations with four series of 7" action figures currently available and another series on the way.

Later this year, they will release a two-pack of 7" figures of Harry from Year Two (Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets) along with the original Dumbledore as played by the late Richard Harris, and Series 5 of their 7" line will include the Wesley Twins, Fred and George, and a figure of Mad-Eye Moody, which will kick-off their action figures leading up to November's Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince. Unfortunately, there were no models of some of the characters from the sixth movie, maybe because that's further away, but you can expect NECA to continue their success bringing the characters from the movies to

jedijeff

Here are some pics from Corgi for Trek and Bond. The Golden Gun looks cool, and looks like it comes with a case. Did not look like they had much for Trek past the long rumoured pieces. A bit disappointed with what they were showing, would have liked to see more Trek stuff they are hopefully working on, and a hint of the BSG stuff. Hopefully the nice stuff does not get lost in all the die casts the Corgi does, and hopefully they keep using Master Replicas name for the nicer pieces.

Rico

I want all three of those items Jeff.  Love the tricorder!  And Kenny those Potter figures look fantastic!

Dan M

That assault phaser looks sweet!

wraith1701

I especially like the tricorder and phaser.  Nice detail on the battery pack/magazine in the phaser's handle!