Podcast # 240 - Soundtracks

Started by Rico, August 16, 2009, 11:52:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPOCKFAN

Nox Arcana is a musical group. There albums are like soundtracks for horror movies. They are fantastic. alot of fun.  Each album has its own storyline it follows. You should check it out you may like it.

SPOCKFAN

Nox Arcana's music is melodic and moody, focusing on a dominant melody line. Instrumentation varies with each album as appropriate to the theme or time period of the album concept, and typically includes piano, bells, violin, pipe organ, harpsichord, timpani drums and other percussion. Some albums also include cymbals, lutes, acoustic guitars, bagpipes and glockenspiel, depending on the theme of a given album. Enforcing the theme and the narrative is the use of sound effects, such as, for instance, a door creaking or a pendulum swinging on the Poe-inspired Shadow of the Raven.[4]

Vocals and narratives are also used sparingly to help relate a story or serve as introduction to a musical piece, for example, the voice of "Jonathan Harker" and whispered female voices of "Dracula's brides" that beckon to the listener, a carnival barker with the indistinct sounds of an audience in the distance, or "Edgar Allan Poe" and a voice calling out from the grave after being prematurely buried, the gravelly voice of a "witch" casting a spell, and a variety of low Gregorian-style chanting and ethereal choirs.

This is a better description of Nox Arcana's music, got of Wikipedia.

My favorite albums are Phantoms of the high Seas and Transylvania, but they are all good.

Rico

I will check them out.  There was a time I was very into more instrumental, kind of New Age music.  This sounds interesting.

Feathers

I loved this one. I wasn't really sure what to expect going in - whether a load of music from films I'd never seen or just the big movie themes of the last ten years. The result was a good mix of both. I recognised a number of them but some caught me by surprise.

The Andrew Powell thing surprised me. I didn't recognise the film at all but for some reason I sort of recognised the music. It was only when you named the composer that it realised why I thought I knew it - I have every Alan Parsons Project original album going and they've probably had the most listening time of any music I own. His style is obviously audible to me now.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

chevalier_noir

I am a MASSIVE soundtrack fan and therefore was looking forward to hearing this episode when I saw it downloading.  It turned out to be another great episode. I recognised most of the tunes you played since I think I have most of them anyway! Always good to hear them and have someone else's perspective on them.

Many thanks!