Strange sense of loss

Started by Geoff G.o.B, August 07, 2008, 02:08:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geoff G.o.B

Well thats it, we've just watched the last episode of DS9 for the first time, and now I feel strangely deflated. I've got so used to watching all the characters go about their lives, I'm not sure tomorrow will seem the same knowing I won't watch them off on some new adventure. Of course this isn't a new feeling, it was the same after the last episode of Buffy, Angel, West Wing, Stargate and then Next Gen after this podcast got me hooked enough to buy all the seasons of TNG and then DS9.

I suppose I'm trying to decide if this is a good thing to get so attached to fictional characters, or if I need to get out more. Perhaps I'll watch another series to help me decide  ::)
If you can remain calm when all around you are panicking, you probably didn't understand the question

moyer777

ah, and now to the world of books.  :)  I know that helped me with Voyager.  :)  I completely understand!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Just know they had some great adventures and there is a lot more fun out there on DVD's and in books too.

Ktrek

Geoff,

I completely recommend the DS9 books. But only the re-launch books. There are around 10 of them and they take place after the series ended and carry the saga forward. In many ways the relaunch books are even better than the series. If you would like a list of where to start and the order they should be read in give me a holler.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

moyer777

Hey Kevin, would you post that list?  That would be great!

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Ktrek

The first three are not really "officially" part of the relaunch BUT the relaunch books borrow story ideas and history from them. Thus most fans of the series think they should be read. However, skipping ahead to Avatar Parts 1 & 2 will not affect your enjoyment of the series if you just want to jump into the meat of the series.

The Lives of Dax

The Left Hand of Destiny:
        Book One
        Book Two

#27: A Stitch in Time

Here is where the relaunch begins in earnest:

Book 1
        Book 2

Section 31 Series:
        #4: Abyss

Gateways Series:
        #4: Demons of Air and Darkness
        #7:What Lay Beyond: "Horn and Ivory" (Note: This is a short story within the collection)

Mission Gamma Series:
          #1: Twilight
          #2: This Gray Spirit
          #3: Cathedral
          #4: Lesser Evil

Rising Son

Unity

Worlds of Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Series:
        #1: Cardassia and Andor
        #2: Trill and Bajor
        #3: The Dominion and Ferenginar

Warpath

Star Trek: Mirror Universe Series:
        #2: Obsidian Alliances: "Saturn's Children"

Fearful Symmetry

These two titles are coming in 2009:

The Soul Key (working title)
The Never Ending Sacrifice

Fans of the series are very excited that Pocket Books will be giving us two more titles next year! I hope this helps get other readers involved!

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

davekill

Quote from: Geoff G.o.B on August 07, 2008, 02:08:52 PM
Well thats it, we've just watched the last episode of DS9 for the first time, and now I feel strangely deflated.

I felt the same way during the last scene of the last episode as the camera pulls back from the viewport - waaaah!

What you need to get over the DS9 doldrums. is to beg, borrow or rent Babylon 5!

B5 is unique in that it is less like Star Trek and more like Lord Of The Rings complete with Wizards, Rangers and The Shadows.

An epic 5 year story arch with IMHO a lot more action.

Ktrek

B5 may have had more action but a lot less character developement than DS9. It's not that I found B5 a bad show but to me it always seemed like a second rate attempt at making a Star Trek show. Always substandard imho. If I had to choose Star Trek would always beat out B5 in every category. It's a poor substitute.

Kevin

davekill

Quote from: Ktrek on August 08, 2008, 09:19:13 PM
B5 may have had more action but a lot less character developement than DS9. It's not that I found B5 a bad show but to me it always seemed like a second rate attempt at making a Star Trek show. Always substandard imho. If I had to choose Star Trek would always beat out B5 in every category. It's a poor substitute.

Kevin

They where great shows both set in space stations, DS9 won three Emmys and B5 won two Hugo awards.

I agree that some of DS9's characters where very compelling. There is no substitute for the Cardasians (my favorite antagonists).

Though J. Michael Straczynski provided the series bible and synopses for the first 22 episodes in 1989 when he attempted to sell B5 to Paramount they declined.
Three years later Paramount produced their version of a space station series, that's where the differences are.

DS9 used familiar "bottle shows" (although in later seasons DS9 experimented with a 6-part storyline in season 6 and a 10-part storyline to wrap-up the show).

B5 used a broad 5 year story arch

I  believe that B5 is as different to DS9 as Farescape is to Voyager :)