Firefly On Blu-Ray

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 20, 2008, 04:55:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Firefly - Formal Firefly-on-Blu-ray Press Release Confirms Details, Gives Revised Package Art

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

JOSS WHEDON'S EMMY® AWARD-WINNING SCI-FI SERIES VENTURES INTO HIGH DEFINITION

FIREFLY
THE COMPLETE SERIES

Available November 11th On Blu-ray Disc From Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment,
Futuristic Western Includes All 14 Episodes Presented in Stunning High-Def Format

Plus All-New BD Exclusive Content Including "Firefly" Reunion in HD
Along With New Episode Commentary By Creator Joss Whedon And Select Cast Members

CENTURY CITY, Calif. - Experience the journey into the wild western space frontier in stunning high-definition with the return of the popular sci-fi fan-favorite "Firefly" - The Complete Series, blasting off for the first time onto Blu-ray Disc on November 11th from Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment. From fantasy mastermind writer/producer Joss Whedon ("Buffy the Vampire Slayer"), the adventurous space-age series has accumulated a devoted fan-base since its 2003 premiere on DVD and garnered an Emmy® Award* that same year. The ensemble cast includes nine members of a renegade crew of the spaceship "Serenity," led by Nathan Fillion (Waitress) who won the Cinescape Genre Face of the Future Award in 2003 for his role. Along with standout performances by Gina Torres ("Standoff"), Alan Tudyk (3:10 to Yuma), Morena Baccarin ("Stargate SG-1"), Adam Baldwin ("Chuck"), Jewel Staite ("Stargate: Atlantis"), Sean Maher ("Party of Five"), Summer Glau ("Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles") and Emmy® Award nominee** Ron Glass ("Barney Miller"), "Firefly" combines a natural and futuristic setting with traditional Western elements.

Set in the year, 2517, the series explores the aftermath of a civil war and the pioneer culture that exists on the fringes of their star system. Featuring exciting new BD exclusive content, the "Firefly" - The Complete Series three-disc set includes all 14 episodes in HD format and is highlighted by an all-new "Firefly Reunion" roundtable discussion about the series, plus a brand new episode commentary with Whedon and select cast members. The "Firefly" - The Complete Series Blu-ray Disc will be available for the suggested retail price of $89.98 U.S. / $119.98 Canada.

Synopsis:
Set 500 years into the future, in the wake of a universal civil war, "Firefly" centers on the crew of Serenity, a small transport spaceship that does not have a planet to call home. Captain Malcom "Mal" Reynolds, a defeated soldier who opposed the unification of the planets by the totalitarian governed Alliance, will undertake any job - legal or not - to stay afloat and keep his crew fed.

Blu-ray Content:
The "Firefly" - The Complete Series Blu-ray Disc is authored in BD-J on three dual-layer 50GB discs presented in widescreen format (1.78:1 aspect ratio) with English 5.1 DTS HD Master Lossless Audio, Spanish and French Dolby Surround and German 5.1 DTS, plus English, Spanish and Dutch subtitles. Individual disc content as follows:

* DISC 1:
          o Serenity (Part 1 & 2)
                + Commentary by executive producer Joss Whedon and actor Nathan Fillion
          o The Train Job
                + Commentary by executive producers Joss Whedon and Tim Minear
          o Bushwacked
          o Shindig
                + Commentary by writer Jane Espenson, actress Morena Baccarin and costume designer Shawna Trpcic
          o Special Features:
                + Here's How It Was: The Making of "Firefly" featurette

* DISC 2:
          o Safe
          o Our Mrs. Reynolds
                + BD Exclusive - Commentary by executive producer Joss Whedon and actors Nathan Fillion, Alan Tudyk and Ron Glass
          o Jaynestown
          o Out of Gas
                + Commentary by executive producer Tim Minear and director David Solomon
          o Ariel
          o Special Features:
                + BD Exclusive - "Firefly" Reunion: Lunch with Joss, Nathan, Alan and Ron featurette (HD)

* DISC 3:
          o War Stories
                + Commentary by actors Nathan Fillion and Alan Tudyk
          o Trash
          o The Message
                + Commentary by actor Alan Tudyk and actress Jewel Staite
          o Heart of Gold
          o Objects in Space
                + Commentary by executive producer Joss Whedon
          o Special Features:
                + Serenity: The 10th Character
                + Joss Sings the "Firefly" Theme featurette
                + Joss Tours the Set featurette
                + Deleted Scenes
                + Gag Reel
                + Alan Tudyk's Audition

"FIREFLY" - THE COMPLETE SERIES Blu-ray Disc
Street Date: November 11, 2008
BD Price: $89.98 U.S. / $119.98 Canada
Total Running Time: 658 minutes
Closed Captioned: Yes

Bryancd

Once i get a Playstation, i might buy this. I have never seen a single episode.

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: Bryancd on August 20, 2008, 05:15:34 PM

Well Bryan.. you are in for a real treat.

Meds

May have to get a blueray player

Bryancd

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on August 20, 2008, 05:49:33 PM

Well Bryan.. you are in for a real treat.

So I have heard thanks to all of you here on the forum and Rico's podcast!

Rico

WHAT?!?!?!     :blink

billybob476

I think Rico is having a coronary.

;)

wraith1701

Rico

Quote from: billybob476 on August 21, 2008, 03:58:52 PM
I think Rico is having a coronary.

;)

Yes - I am!  Need some Sci-Fi - STAT!!!

Bryancd

Yep. Never watched "Babylon 5", always assumed (and still do ;) that "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" was a kiddy/chick show, never saw "Firefly", liked the "Stargate" movie but never watched any of the series...really nothing that came out during the '90's and early 2000's. I didn't watch a lot of TV back then, I was going out to clubs and partying like a rock star but that's a different story... ;)
It's only been the last few 5 years that I have gotten back to my sci-fi roots. I had never seen most of TNG, DS9, and Voyager until 2002-2004 when they came out on DVD and then watched them in series a few times as well as a number of times on Spike and TNT.

Ktrek

If I didn't already have this on DVD I would probably buy this but movie studios are going to be very hard pressed to get me to shell out for another format again. The only exception I will probably make on the Blu-ray issue is the Star Trek movies.

Oh...btw...I am and have been a huge supporter of Blu-Ray but I will mostly be purchasing titles I do not yet own on DVD as opposed to re-buying movies and TV shows I have already spent thousands of dollars for just to have a better picture quality. My Sony DVD player with it's upscaling does a sufficient job for my viewing pleasure.

Kevin

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Meds

I will be buying a BlueRay but not till prices come down. Remember though that you can happily play standard DVD's on a Blue Ray player so no need to be replacing your well earned DVD collection.