Enterprise: Kobayashi Maru (spoilers)

Started by wraith1701, September 13, 2008, 04:30:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

Just finished the latest Enterprise book, Kobayashi Maru. 

Great book! 

If you are on this forum, odds are you are familiar with the famous Starfleet test-

In Kobayashi Maru, the writers finally give us the tale of the eponymous ship, and manage to seamlessly integrate it into current Trek canon. 

The story picks up shortly after the events in the Enterprise novel The Good That Men Do, and weaves a story about the formation of what will eventually become the United Federation Of Planets.  It also lays the groundwork for Starfleet's war with the Romulans. 

Spoilers start NOW.

If you've read the previous Enterprise books, you know that the events depicted in the finale of the Enterprise series were supposedly all fabricated, part of a plot by Section 31 to infiltrate the mysterious Romulan Star Empire.  Trip is alive and well, and masquerading as a Romulan scientist (yes; it seems that even before the "first view" of the Romulans in the TOS, members of the Human and Vulcan espionage organizations knew about the Romulan-Vulcan kinship).  Trip's mission- to steal information about the Romulan's Warp-7 experiments, and make sure that the Romulans don't develop the technology before the Earth and her allies do... sort of a Warp Speed arms-race. 

While Trip is doing his thing, the Enterprise and the Columbia have been tasked with protecting trade routes near a proposed "Neutral Zone" separating Human and Klingon space.  It seems as though many cargo ships traversing this space have fallen prey to pirates... 

At the same time, it seems as though the Klingons have been getting more ballsy than usual.  Rumors are spreading that the pirates in the neutral zone might actually be Klingon ships testing the will of the newly-formed Starfleet.

To further complicate matters, the new Coalition Of Planets is in danger of being torn apart before it can fully form.  The distrust between many of the member worlds seems to be blinding them to a very real threat- the Romulan Empire.  You see, the Romulans have managed to create a device that can remotely take over other starships and control them like remote-controlled cars.  With raids seemingly being carried out by Klingons and Vulcans, chaos threatens to destroy the new coalition, leaving Earth, Vulcan, and all of their allies ripe for invasion by the Romulans...

If you are a fan of Star Trek: Enterprise, I strongly recommend checking this book out!

-Eric

Darth Gaos

I have been looking forward to this book...I need to go pick it up.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Chief

Dude! It's been ages since I picked up a Trek book...

Ok, not ages. Only a few months, but this one looks sweet. I'll have to Amazon the crap out of it. LOL

"The Needs Of The Many, Out Weigh The Needs Of The Few, Or The One..."
Mr. Spock