Killing off main characters in the books- Possible spoilers

Started by Ktrek, January 27, 2009, 08:39:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontcallmePigboy

I think my beef was similar to others; Let someone who loves the character kill them.  R.A. Salvatore loved the character of Chewbacca and knew what he was in for.

Peter David has spoken of his dislike for all things Voyager on many occasions.  Why let him kill off a strong character that many people loved when he had nothing but distain for her. 

I can get over the death of a character if it is done in a respectful way but Before Dishonor was a disgrace.

Why they let David write for anything other than New Frontier is beyond me.

X

Quote from: DontcallmePigboy on May 20, 2009, 11:57:48 PM
I think my beef was similar to others; Let someone who loves the character kill them.  R.A. Salvatore loved the character of Chewbacca and knew what he was in for.

Peter David has spoken of his dislike for all things Voyager on many occasions.  Why let him kill off a strong character that many people loved when he had nothing but distain for her. 

I can get over the death of a character if it is done in a respectful way but Before Dishonor was a disgrace.

Why they let David write for anything other than New Frontier is beyond me.
I will happily disagree with you. PAD is a great writer and I for one and so tired of every death having to matter. That and the whole little thing about writing it where it's obvious that someone isn't dead seems to counter your argument. I mean you can't really be dead if you're seen after your death in the same book can you?

From a story perspective, that's going to give you a bit more to do than sitting behind a desk.

X

In fact, I'm all for a more characters in a lot of genres getting Tasha Yar'ed

Rico

With the new direction the film series is now taking, I frankly think the books will have greater freedom to do things with characters from the "Prime Trek" universe (like killing some) than they ever did before.  It's really hard for them to write interesting and exciting stories without any real danger for anyone.  That said, I hope they use good judgment in what they do.

Jobydrone

My understanding is that there was a Paramount directive regarding that character's death in the novel requiring Peter David to add a scene making it possible for a resurrection later on.  Trek has been doing this kind of thing since WOK and I don't see it stopping.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx