Amazon.com's Star Trek Limited Edition Replica Gift Set w/3 disc Blu-ray $90.99

Started by Jaames, October 15, 2009, 04:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaames

I've never been much of a collector, but this looks really awesome to me (and would fit perfectly on my desk). But what  do you guys think? Is it worth buying 2 of them? One to crack open and display, and the other to hold onto? Do you think it would ever be worth anything more than what it costs? If you subtract the cost of the Blu-ray it makes the replica about $65.

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Product Description
The U.S.S. Enterprise Commemorative Replica is modeled directly from the digital effects files used in Star Trek (2009). Hand cast in solid metal, the replica incorporates chrome, textured steel and pewter finishes to create a collectible of unsurpassed detail and elegance. From the delta command badge base to the tip of each nacelle, not a drop of plastic was used in the construction of this substantial piece. Each ship is crafted by the artisans of Quantum Mechanix Inc. (QMx), a boutique collectibles maker. The U.S.S. Enterprise Commemorative Replica was created exclusively for Amazon.com to celebrate the maiden voyage of Starfleet's newest flagship, and is available in a limited edition of only 5,000 ships. Each replica comes with a Certificate of Authenticity, signed by QMx and Industrial Light & Magic's Roger Guyett, Visual Effects Supervisor.

• Model directly from the digital effects files used in Star Trek (2009)
• Made of solid metal with chrome, textured steel and pewter finishes
• 8.5 inches long and weighing over a pound
• Limited Edition of 5,000
• Comes with Certificate of Authenticity

Here's the link:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002HWRZH0/ref=s9_simz_gw_s0_p74_t1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=1H8VF7E7MS3SSTKBMKE6&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470938631&pf_rd_i=507846

And here are some pics:

Rico

Jaames

Quote from: Rico on October 15, 2009, 06:28:57 PM
Been posted a few times already.  But still cool.
I know, but I'm specifically looking for feedback. You have some collectibles Rico, do think it's worth buying more than one of these? Will it ever be worth much more than it costs?

billybob476

Though I'm not much a collector myself, I know a lot of them. What I've found is that you generally shouldn't bother trying to buy up collectibles with the intention of making money on them.

Bryancd

Jaames

Quote from: Bryancd on October 16, 2009, 07:36:04 AM
I pre-ordered the set with the cool badges. :)
That one does look cool. I think you can wear them as tie pins!
Quote from: billybob476 on October 16, 2009, 07:27:32 AM
Though I'm not much a collector myself, I know a lot of them. What I've found is that you generally shouldn't bother trying to buy up collectibles with the intention of making money on them.
Thanks billybob (sorry, I had said Rico!). I had pre-ordered 2, I know I want to keep and display the one set, but I wasn't sure how the whole collectible thing worked value-wise.

Bryancd

Quote from: Jaames on October 16, 2009, 07:48:11 AM
That one does look cool. I think you can wear them as tie pins!

They are 1:1 scale, not little like a tie pin! :)

Jaames

Rico

Never invest in collectibles like this to expect some type of return or profit on your purchase.  Only buy it because you want it and think it's "cool."  They are making a lot of these so I don't think it will become rare by any means.  That said, I'm still trying to decide what version to get.  I have quite a few of the old pewter Trek ships and this would like nice with the rest of them.