Star Trek Captain's Summit on Blu-Ray

Started by matagin, November 12, 2009, 07:29:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matagin

I finally bought a blu-ray player and the original cast Trek movie box set this week. I am halfway through the first movie (ST:TMP) and the picture quality is AMAZING! The colors pop and all the detail of film is there! Love it! My question is have any of you watched the bonus DVD with Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart, Frakes, and Whoopi? What are your opinions of the interview? I felt that as fans we look at all of the movies and shows as one big family but it seemed to me that the next gen guys knew very little about TOS guys and vice versa. And Shatner has the biggest ego of all time! He never watched a single episode of TNG!! Thoughts?

Bryancd

Quote from: matagin on November 12, 2009, 07:29:36 AM
I finally bought a blu-ray player and the original cast Trek movie box set this week. I am halfway through the first movie (ST:TMP) and the picture quality is AMAZING! The colors pop and all the detail of film is there! Love it! My question is have any of you watched the bonus DVD with Shatner, Nimoy, Stewart, Frakes, and Whoopi? What are your opinions of the interview? I felt that as fans we look at all of the movies and shows as one big family but it seemed to me that the next gen guys knew very little about TOS guys and vice versa. And Shatner has the biggest ego of all time! He never watched a single episode of TNG!! Thoughts?

Why would we, or should we, expect the actors to be fans of or even remotely aware of the other shows in the franchise they didn't participate in? They are actors, not fanboy's. Of course the Shat never watched TNG, why would he? It has nothing to do with him or the character he portrayed. As fans, WE look at them as one big family, they don't and I don't find that surprising in the least.

X

Quote from: Bryancd on November 12, 2009, 07:37:56 AM
Quote from: matagin on November 12, 2009, 07:29:36 AM

Why would we, or should we, expect the actors to be fans of or even remotely aware of the other shows in the franchise they didn't participate in? They are actors, not fanboy's. Of course the Shat never watched TNG, why would he? It has nothing to do with him or the character he portrayed. As fans, WE look at them as one big family, they don't and I don't find that surprising in the least.
yeah what Bryan said.

I don't think I've ever looked at them as one big family. I saw them as people doing a job then moving on to the next job.

cosmonaut

I'm already happy if the actors are fans of the show/genre they're working in!
(It's said Shatner didn't even watch TOS...)

Interviewing Whoopi makes sense, she is a TOS fan and asked to be in TNG. Michael Dorn, LeVar Burton and Wil Wheaton knew their Trek when they came aboard the D, so I'd be fine with interviewing them about TOS.

But still, does it make sense to interview actors at all? They are just the familiar faces, I'd prefer to hear something from the brains.

Bromptonboy

Well put!  The producers \ writers will have real insights, along with the rare actor that is also a fan.
Pete

matagin

I know that they probally just see it as a job but I guess it just shocked me a little. I also thought it was cool how much Stewart considered the cast of TNG as his close friends and family. We all know that Shatner never had that connection with the TOS cast except maybe for Nimoy. Interesting stuff.

Ktrek

Congrats Matagin on taking the leap into Blu-Ray! It is quite a fantastic development for home viewing. I own both the TOS and the TNG box sets and have worked my way through all the movies except Nemesis but have yet to watch any of the bonus material. I'll probably be doing that as soon as I finish the movies. The Star Trek 2009 movie has been getting really high ratings on the review sites so you might want to invest in that. I think Amazon has the three disc set on sale right now for $21.99.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Feathers

I'd say that as fans, we look at the characters as maybe being part of a huge great extended family, i.e. Picard knows who Kirk was etc, but the Actors? Not so much.

Not being Blu-Ray equipped, I can comment no more than that on the content of the disks.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Ktrek

I just noticed today on Blu-Ray.com that Amazon now has Star Trek 2009 listed at only $20.99. It would be great if it dropped below $20 over the weekend. I love Amazon's pre-order gaurantee. They have always credited me back the difference of my order price and the lowest price an item went to after I placed my order.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine