Halo: Reach

Started by QuadShot, September 16, 2010, 09:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

QuadShot

So far, I'm sad to say, I'm not very impressed with Halo: Reach. Game play is average, a few glitches in the game as well. Tried the online multi-player and it kind of stinks.  Oh well, I look in the mirror and the phrase "a fool and his money are soon parted" keeps coming to mind! :)

X

Halo Reach is pretty damed good. It's perhaps the best of the franchise. Multiplayer is outstanding and has some cool new features that really prolong the life of the game.

X

Quote from: QuadShot on September 17, 2010, 07:38:56 AM
So far, I'm sad to say, I'm not very impressed with Halo: Reach. Game play is average, a few glitches in the game as well. Tried the online multi-player and it kind of stinks.  Oh well, I look in the mirror and the phrase "a fool and his money are soon parted" keeps coming to mind! :)
Halo isn't COD. It's two separate things and it isn't anything like COD to hold you over until Black Ops. It's everything that I expected it to be and more. I don't know what you mean by the game play is average, but I think you might be mistaken on what average means. This blows away average and really puts MW2 to shame in terms of graphics and sound.

If you went in expecting a MW2 like experience, you were going in to be disappointed. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the game, there isn't. It delivered what the people that like Halo was looking for. It was never intended to deliver a COD experience.

That being said. I'm two days in and there are nowhere near the numerous glitches, exploits, and other major problems that happened when MW2 came out. Between the Javelin glitch, the Unlimited Care package glitch, and the numerous room mods, it was damned hard to find a nice non cheater fill room to play in for the first two months of MW2.

What gliches have you seen?

QuadShot

Quote from: X on September 17, 2010, 01:03:11 PM
Halo isn't COD. It's two separate things and it isn't anything like COD to hold you over until Black Ops. It's everything that I expected it to be and more. I don't know what you mean by the game play is average, but I think you might be mistaken on what average means. This blows away average and really puts MW2 to shame in terms of graphics and sound.

If you went in expecting a MW2 like experience, you were going in to be disappointed. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the game, there isn't. It delivered what the people that like Halo was looking for. It was never intended to deliver a COD experience.

That being said. I'm two days in and there are nowhere near the numerous glitches, exploits, and other major problems that happened when MW2 came out. Between the Javelin glitch, the Unlimited Care package glitch, and the numerous room mods, it was damned hard to find a nice non cheater fill room to play in for the first two months of MW2.

Wow dude, a bit defensive? I'm sorry, but I'm not mistaken as to what "average" means. It means whatever I intend it to mean, and that's, as far as MY experience with this game, not spectacular. Kind of silly to tell someone they're wrong about how to describe their own feelings about something. It would be like me telling you that you're wrong when you say Reach puts MW2 to shame. That's your opinion.  Mine happens to be that MW2 rocks. I just so happen to not like Halo: Reach. And before you tell me that if I was looking for a MW2 replacement to tide me over to Black Ops, that's not what I said I was doing. I said that I was looking for SOMETHING to tide me over until Black Ops.

I had heard all the hype surrounding Halo: Reach and thought I'd give it a shot. Not my cup of tea (Earl Grey, Hot!). Doesn't mean you and I can't live on the same planet, just because I don't like a game that you are obviously passionate about. That's cool. Glad someone is really into Halo. I'm...not.

As far as glitches, again, MY interpretations, load times between areas kind of suck. The vehicle driving really sucks. When I run with the character, it kind of jerks/hesitates a lot. Perhaps "bugs" would be more appropriate a term?

I'm also not clear on how the multi-player online mode works. It's no where near as clear-cut and easy to navigate as MW2. I'd like to get in a "team death-match" or "free for all" type game, but couldn't figure out how to get in. In my humble opinion, the interface isn't very easy to figure out.

Now remember, my opinion. Not that of a major corporation that is officially reviewing or banning the game! :)

Bryancd

Don't worry, Al, he probably doesn't like the iPad either.. ;)

QuadShot

The iPad? HA! The iPad rocks! WE WANTS ONE PRECIOUS!! :)  I really do think the iPad has a lot of potential. Can't wait to get one.

Feathers

:offtopic

You have been warned. Stop bringing iPads into every thread!
;)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

KingIsaacLinksr

*chuckles at this thread*

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

X

Quote from: QuadShot on September 17, 2010, 02:24:29 PM
Quote from: X on September 17, 2010, 01:03:11 PM
So far, I'm sad to say, I'm not very impressed with Halo: Reach. Game play is average, a few glitches in the game as well. Tried the online multi-player and it kind of stinks.  Oh well, I look in the mirror and the phrase "a fool and his money are soon parted" keeps coming to mind! :)

Wow dude, a bit defensive? I'm sorry, but I'm not mistaken as to what "average" means. It means whatever I intend it to mean, and that's, as far as MY experience with this game, not spectacular. Kind of silly to tell someone they're wrong about how to describe their own feelings about something. It would be like me telling you that you're wrong when you say Reach puts MW2 to shame. That's your opinion.  Mine happens to be that MW2 rocks. I just so happen to not like Halo: Reach. And before you tell me that if I was looking for a MW2 replacement to tide me over to Black Ops, that's not what I said I was doing. I said that I was looking for SOMETHING to tide me over until Black Ops.

I had heard all the hype surrounding Halo: Reach and thought I'd give it a shot. Not my cup of tea (Earl Grey, Hot!). Doesn't mean you and I can't live on the same planet, just because I don't like a game that you are obviously passionate about. That's cool. Glad someone is really into Halo. I'm...not.

As far as glitches, again, MY interpretations, load times between areas kind of suck. The vehicle driving really sucks. When I run with the character, it kind of jerks/hesitates a lot. Perhaps "bugs" would be more appropriate a term?

I'm also not clear on how the multi-player online mode works. It's no where near as clear-cut and easy to navigate as MW2. I'd like to get in a "team death-match" or "free for all" type game, but couldn't figure out how to get in. In my humble opinion, the interface isn't very easy to figure out.

Now remember, my opinion. Not that of a major corporation that is officially reviewing or banning the game! :)
Okay, I think the problem lies in the fact that you used a word that has a defined meaning in the English language. As a player of the COD and Halo franchises, I know that there are huge differences. When someone uses certain words, people familiar with those words tend to go by the standard use of those words.

When someone reviewing a game says that there are glitches, people that game tend to think that it means the default meaning of that word.

When someone says average, people tend to think that it means average, as in the middle of the road between worst and best game play.

I know that there are plenty of people here that are not professional reviewers, but there are also plenty of people here that look at the boards and what the people here are saying while they are forming their decision on a product. That's part of the reason I asked what you meant about average.

Also, I said it puts MW2 to shame in terms of graphics and sound. I didn't say it was a better franchise, but from a technical aspect, the things they do with the color pallet, lighting, and physics are measurable things that can be compared based on their "specs". This goes with ambient sounds being merged with the sounds track and other sound issues. Quantifiable things. Like the iPAD isn't a real computer and sooner or later people are going to get over the fad =). I think there will be an App for that.

I actually love MW2. I love Halo too. I wrote what I did, not to chastise you, but to point out that the things that you might see as flaws are standard for the Halo Franchise. I also asked what problems you had so that I could specifically discuss them with you.

Lastly, when someone ends a review about a fool and his money, it's kind of begs for a counter response. In that response, I tried to point out the difference. There have been more than a few wars between Halo and COD fans on the best franchise, but the only thing they have in common is they are both FPS. Many times, one camp resorts to bashing the other product without any real explanation for their reasoning.

You didn't like reach for the very reason that people like it. Having played both for years, I know how different the multiplayer is and one of the reasons I prefer the Halo multi player above the COD franchise. I like having my party together and the host of that party having the ability to back everyone back to the lobby without the having to yell over the lobby for everyone to back out and it only keep the party together if the host backs out first.

I do agree that there are some differences in the game lobbies between the two, but I also have to point out that each game lobby has a description on what happens in said lobbies. When you pair that with the information in the instruction book, it gives you a very workable guide to the halo franchise multiplayer experience.

I also don't mind if you hate the game, but I wanted to clearly know why you hated the game because when others come in to read the reviews in this thread, it might work better if they know the reasons behind those likes and dislikes.

My response wasn't in any way an attack on you and I am sorry if you felt it was such.

QuadShot

Hey X, no worried brother. First off, I love a good debate! I never feel the need to defend things like games or even my Faith. The way I look at it, if I have to defend it, I mustn't have much faith or belief in the thing to begin with.
I sort of understand what you're saying about others "reviewing" games and things because I bought Halo based on what others said, and I'm not a fan. Bottom line though is that a persons opinion is just that: they're opinion. Unless the moderator of the message board deems any negative comments about something a banable offense, then we should feel comfortable in the knowledge that we can come here and express our opinions about games, movies, television shows or whatever without the fear that we hold the fate of some unsuspecting consumer in our hands.
I agree that Halo Reach is visually beautiful and that sound is outstanding. Reminds me of a movie! However, the game is just not one that I like and yes, to me the game play is average.
That being said, it could be worse. It could be Metroid: The Other M!! ;) Peace brother.