GOG.com = Good Old Games

Started by Rico, July 17, 2008, 11:53:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Heard about this new site on the PC Gamer Podcast.  They are taking older computer games, making them compatible with Win XP & Vista and will sell them for a very low price.  It's a cool new service starting up in the next few months.  Sounds like fun!

Learn more here:
http://www.gog.com/en/intro

celestialteapot

I joined the beta and downloaded my first game (and as a result got a free one, w00t!) although unfortunately for some reason I can't get the game to actually run! Grr... I have a feeling there is something I need to do to get the game to run but so far, not had a great GOG experience... cheap though!
This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Rico

celestialteapot

Redneck Rampage... it was one of those random games my uncle handed down to me when I was about 14/15 and I thought it would be an interesting diversion.
This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Jobydrone

I just got my beta code and will check out the site soon.  I'm not much of a PC gamer, though, so We'll see how it goes.  I'm thinking of trying Fallout in anticipation of next months big 360 release of Fallout 3.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

celestialteapot

Quote from: Jobydrone4of20 on September 18, 2008, 11:13:20 AM
I just got my beta code and will check out the site soon.  I'm not much of a PC gamer, though, so We'll see how it goes.  I'm thinking of trying Fallout in anticipation of next months big 360 release of Fallout 3.

Fallout is a gem of a game, brilliant story line and the game play is outstanding... however, if you're not really into point & click RPG games that are very much the realm of PC you might not enjoy as much. I can't wait for Fallout 3 but I'm a bit disappointed they've moved on to FPS style rather than kept it in the style of the originals... still looks awesome.

Captain BJ Wanlund

As soon as they put up Carmageddon, the LucasArts library and some of the Trek games (Bridge Commander especially), I'm in like Flynn.

BJ
Love Star Trek TOS & TNG (never really got into DS9, Voyager, or Enterprise).  Also love Star Wars (everything save for the prequels...), and Indiana Jones, and ElfQuest, basically anything remotely SF or fantasy is my bag, tho I tend more towards SF than I do fantasy.

celestialteapot

Quote from: Captain BJ Wanlund on September 18, 2008, 09:29:04 PM
As soon as they put up Carmageddon, the LucasArts library and some of the Trek games (Bridge Commander especially), I'm in like Flynn.

BJ

'Star Trek 25th Anniversary' is abandonware, you can download it and run it through an emulator (I use DOSBox) it can be found at abandonia, along with some really awesome very old Star Trek text games :D

Hopefully though it'll get released as a GOG, then I can feel less in a legal grey area :)

Rico

I got a beta key too.  Might have to check some of the stuff out!

celestialteapot

Quote from: Rico on September 19, 2008, 07:25:10 AM
I got a beta key too.  Might have to check some of the stuff out!

Welcome to the world of cheap awesome old games :D

Rico

Little bump for this game site.  They have a nice catalog of older games you can download for some great prices.  I'm thinking of going back and finally playing "Baldur's Gate II" sometime soon.  Anyway, check out their current game list:

http://www.gog.com/en/catalogue