Question for collectors

Started by Jobydrone, March 21, 2012, 01:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

Hypothetically, if you had to get rid of all your memorabilia except for ONE item...what would be that item?  Post pics if you are so inclined!
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Bryancd

Fun topic! It didn't take me long to know mine. Despite my recent acquisitions that shoot flame or can be used to dispatch replicants, all the models I have made, or even my complete set of original blue SW trading cards, nothing is as iconic and thrilling for me to hold then my Luke ANH real Graflex lightsaber hilt. It was the collectible prop that started me down the road of prop collecting and the first truly authentic prop I have bought. It's scuffed and scratched and has the perfect real world look and feel. I will never forget when I saw it for the first time and I was enthralled.

BEN: Your fathers lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight. Not
as clumsy or as random as a blaster.

Luke pushes a button on the handle. A long beam shoots out
about four feet and flickers there. The light plays across the
ceiling.

BEN: An elegant weapon for a more civilized time.

Jobydrone

Great answer!  Exactly what I was hoping for, thanks Bryan.  Can't wait to see the highlights of some more collections.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Well, I'm going to cheat and list two items - both by Master Replica's - both "Trek" stuff.  First and foremost is my big, Studio Scale Enterprise.  I'm so happy I got this (number 6 in the series by the way).  It's a beautiful piece and is holding up well.

The other item is my Master Replica's, working (lights and sounds) Phaser II - signed by the Shat himself.  Again, MR did an amazing job and I love having both of these in my collection.

Bryancd

Nice choices, Rico. The big E is a beauty and even Richard Coyle, who made the phaser sold over at Roddenberry.com and who is pretty expert when it comes to phasers, thinks that MR nailed that one.

jedijeff

Great Question. I am going to cheat and pick two as well :)

First would be my Hasbro Millennium Falcon

From a collectible standpoint, it holds no real value, as it is not the vintage one, it is not one of the better electronic ones and not the super sized one from a few years ago. But my Parents bought it for me back in 1995 for Christmas, and it sort of represents the Millennium Falcon I never got as a kid.

The second one would be my MR Commander Gree Helmet I got a few years ago.

I fell in love with this Helmet from the first picture I saw and really had to have it. I think what grabbed me was the Green Visor on it, and the paint job is fantastic. It is definitely not the most Iconic Helmet out there, but I every time I look at it, just wows me. I also have the MR Boba Fett Helmet as well, and as much of a Fett fan as I am, if I had to choose, I would take my Gree helmet first.

I am currently working on a complete Loose Star Wars vintage collection, so when I get the completed that might be something I might put at the top of my list as things I would never give up, but still only about half the way there.

Bryancd

A little nostalgia and a little high end, very good, Jeff. :)

X

Mine is actually really really simple. Out of all the stuff I collect, I've found that I don't have a hard time parting with any of it when the mood strikes. When my first daughter was born, I gave away my entire knife collection that had over 100 knives and some prop blades as well like the dagger from The Shadow and several bataranges and a robinarange. As much of a collector as I am, I find my passion more in the getting than the keeping. Once I've owned it and touched it and had it for a bit, I can let stuff go because I'm always looking for new stuff and I don't want my house filled with clutter.

When I stopped with the knives and swords, my friends were happy to raid my collection and all of the cases as not to tempt me with empty space to fill.

Luckily, all of my GI Joe stuff is still in my father's attic.

Bryancd

Yeah, I have always been a buyer and seller of collectibles. I could sell all the things I currently have in a heart beat but I would keep that Graflex. :)

Rico

Bryan - sell me that Deep Sleep gun!  I see it's used now, so I'll give you half the cost of it.  ;)

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on March 22, 2012, 08:26:11 AM
Bryan - sell me that Deep Sleep gun!  I see it's used now, so I'll give you half the cost of it.  ;)

You know what's funny is that i have owned two different versions of that gun over the years before the working one. I had a basic resin one I made but sold before moving to AZ. Then I wanted it again and last year got the metal one from Nicksdad at the RPF and put in the working light. It was a relaly fun project, building some of these also is part of my prop collecting fun soemtimes. But then I wanted to go for it and sold that gun to helf fund the Rylo working gun.

Same with my Coyle Blade Runner blaster and original BSG blaster. I had versions of both those n the past and then wanted to get the "ultimate" version of both. I think that's where my collecting is right now. If I get something, i want the best version made. So if I did get a phaser, it would be MR or a Coyle. I really want a stormtropper E-11 based off a real sterling sub machine gun instead of the MR version. That's why i dig the Coyle Blade Runner gun, it's machined from the real metal parts, makes it more tactile.

Jobydrone

My wife would probably say I'm more of a hoarder than a collector since pretty much everything I collect has emotional rather than financial value.  For me, I would have to keep my "almost" complete collection of the entire run of Cerebus the Aardvark.  This is the book that got me back into comic book shops during college after I had drifted away during my last few years of high school, and kept me coming month in and month out until the series ended at issue #300.