Windows 8 tablets

Started by Rico, June 04, 2012, 08:36:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

Without having seen much on the core topic, this thread has hijacked me with the thought that many people will own smartphone, tablet, laptop AND desktop!

All I can say is Wow! How cheap is this stuff in the US (or how much do you all earn)?? I can't imagine affording all of that even if I did need all the different tools for different jobs!

Surely reality dictates that people will buy what they can afford and bend it to do what they need to do (or perhaps I have a skewed view from living a life of such obvious poverty? ;))

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Rico

Dan - don't you have three of the four items you list above?  Also, keep in mind a smartphone is an ongoing cost.  The others are one time only costs.

- sorry - I meant Mike.

Dangelus

Quote from: Rico on August 18, 2012, 06:02:47 AM
Dan - don't you have three of the four items you list above?  Also, keep in mind a smartphone is an ongoing cost.  The others are one time only costs.

Am I getting blamed for Mike's comments again? Remember I'm the good looking one! ;)

Rico

ACK - I meant Mike!  Still asleep this morning I guess!  :)

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Dangelus on August 18, 2012, 09:53:08 AM
Quote from: Rico on August 18, 2012, 06:02:47 AM

Am I getting blamed for Mike's comments again? Remember I'm the good looking one! ;)

I'm beginning to confuse Mike with Dan and Dan with Mike! ;)
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

Jobydrone

I'm a little confused, do these tablets run any windows software that a laptop or desktop can run?  Or do you need specially designed software for the operating system?
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

billybob476

I was under the impression they would only run Metro (or whatever it's called now) apps.

Rico

Yeah Joby, you and most of the mass buying public will be confused too.  The tablets will be running a version of Win 8 called Windows RT (it will be installed already).  As far as if it can run a different OS - possibly with some work.  But that's not really the idea.

Jobydrone

"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone on October 16, 2012, 08:55:46 AM
So no WoW on tablets?

Hmm, that's an interesting question with regards to these MS tablets.  It's possible I suppose.  I'm not sure if you are limited to only running their apps only in Win RT or not.

Jobydrone

It looks like later on, no release date announced yet, there are Windows tablets coming out that will run Windows 8, Windows 8 Professional and Windows 8 Enterprise rather than RT.  I imagine those will be significantly more expensive but should run any software that a PC or laptop with an equivalent processor would run, right?

KingIsaacLinksr

Quote from: Jobydrone on October 16, 2012, 09:09:10 AM
It looks like later on, no release date announced yet, there are Windows tablets coming out that will run Windows 8, Windows 8 Professional and Windows 8 Enterprise rather than RT.  I imagine those will be significantly more expensive but should run any software that a PC or laptop with an equivalent processor would run, right?

That would be my guess, but I'm not all that sure.
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone on October 16, 2012, 09:09:10 AM

I think those tablets are out now - they are called laptops.  :)

X

There are two types of windows Surface ... ones that run RT and ones that run windows 8.

The Rt version will come with office for free and run apps. It's pretty much the MS version of IOS and the full 8 will run apps and full software, but doesn't come office, but has the functionality of a full laptop in a tablet package.