Marvel "Now!"

Started by Jobydrone, July 13, 2012, 07:56:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

I read in last weeks EW some information in a preview of the San Diego Comic Con that has me pretty excited.

Marvel "Now!" is Marvel comics answer to the DC "New 52" reboot, and the preview I read featured a couple new titles.  The coolest is "All New X-Men," that tells the ongoing story of the five original X-Men as teenagers (Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Marvel Girl, and Iceman) after they time travel to present day.  I think it could be a super interesting way to reinvent some of the most interesting mutants in the Marvel Universe, especially after some of the irredeemable acts that Scott Summers has perpetrated in the "A vs. X" series currently finishing up.

Very intersted to see what other plans Marvel comics has for rebooting their flagship series.  I hope they fix the Hulk soon, that comic is a huge mess.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

ChrisMC

A vs X has been very interesting, and I'm looking forward to the new titles...but DC used to follow Marvel's lead, not the other way around. Not that Marvel's continuity hasn't become very, very cumbersome.

It's crazy what this series has done to Cyclops, the Boy Scout of all time.
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Rico

I haven't read up on this enough, but I don't look at this as a reboot.  I'm also unsure if by bringing those original X-Men to the present if that means the current X-Men core (Scott, Beast, Angel, etc...) will just vanish or if the old versions and new versions will both be around.  I'd like to see the young, idealist Scott Summers deal with the hardened current Scott.  Anyway, it will be interesting to see how this all works out.

WillEagle

Quote from: Jobydrone on July 13, 2012, 07:56:41 AM
I read in last weeks EW some information in a preview of the San Diego Comic Con that has me pretty excited.

Marvel "Now!" is Marvel comics answer to the DC "New 52" reboot, and the preview I read featured a couple new titles.  The coolest is "All New X-Men," that tells the ongoing story of the five original X-Men as teenagers (Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Marvel Girl, and Iceman) after they time travel to present day.  I think it could be a super interesting way to reinvent some of the most interesting mutants in the Marvel Universe, especially after some of the irredeemable acts that Scott Summers has perpetrated in the "A vs. X" series currently finishing up.

Very intersted to see what other plans Marvel comics has for rebooting their flagship series.  I hope they fix the Hulk soon, that comic is a huge mess.
I wanted to get into the new Hulk comic when it came out but it just didn't sound good to me so I skipped it. I am interested in seeing what they do with the new series there are bringing out. I also never got into the A vs X series because It didn't fit in my comics budget. Wish I could have got into it.

WillEagle

Well I dropped The Avengers and Captain America from Marvel and I plan on picking up Fantastic Four of the Marvel Now!
I dropped Avengers because its going to twice a month and I have to stay in my self (wife's) imposed budget. And as far as Captain America goes I just don't like the looks of the book. Story may be fine but Cap looks to different to me. Not the uniform just his looks.
I did want to get into some of the Marvel Now! and one was Captain America until I saw a preview and I want to check out the Fantastic Four book. It's only going to be a $2.99 book also.
Are any of you planning on getting some of the Marvel Now! books?

Rico

Since some of the classic books I read have now ended due to this "Now" thing, I'll have to start getting the new Now stuff.  At least see what they do with the X-Men and Fantastic Four.  I follow those the most.

Jobydrone

They need to end about 90% of those Xmen books.  There seems to be no continuity and I can't figure out what the heck is going on.  I am though quite interested to see what they do with the time traveling young Xmen in present day.  I imagine they'll be as confused as I am.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

WillEagle

The only Marvel Now I picked up so far was Fantastic Four. Going to read it tonight. I don't think I'll be getting any other Marvel Now books.

Rico

I picked up the "All New X-Men" #1 and "Fantastic Four" #1 today.  Also I have read the new "Uncanny Avengers" too.

Jobydrone

So far the only new book I really enjoyed was All New X Men. Great story, awesome premise. I think Marvel knows this is the book that is going to really do well, they waited longest to debut the title and really built up anticipation.

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone on November 18, 2012, 07:50:36 PM
So far the only new book I really enjoyed was All New X Men. Great story, awesome premise. I think Marvel knows this is the book that is going to really do well, they waited longest to debut the title and really built up anticipation.

Still need to read my copy.  But Marvel didn't wait longest by any means on this Now book.  The Marvel Now releases will be trickling out for months to come still.  They are not doing it like DC did with a massive, multi-title launch.  Still to come are some big hitters like a new Spider-Man book, new Hulk, new Wolverine, etc.

Jobydrone

Quote from: Rico on November 19, 2012, 05:03:21 AM

Still need to read my copy.  But Marvel didn't wait longest by any means on this Now book.  The Marvel Now releases will be trickling out for months to come still.  They are not doing it like DC did with a massive, multi-title launch.  Still to come are some big hitters like a new Spider-Man book, new Hulk, new Wolverine, etc.
I thought it was the last of the new original titles.

Rico

Quote from: Jobydrone on November 19, 2012, 06:53:20 AM
Quote from: Rico on November 19, 2012, 05:03:21 AM

I thought it was the last of the new original titles.

Not by a long shot.  Still to come:

AVENGERS (December 5, 2012)
THUNDERBOLTS (December 5, 2012)
CABLE AND X-FORCE (December 12, 2012)
AVENGERS ARENA (December 12, 2012)
MORBIUS THE LIVING VAMPIRE (January 2, 2013)
SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN (January 9, 2013)
SAVAGE WOLVERINE (January 16, 2013)
YOUNG AVENGERS (January 23, 2013)

Even more here:
http://www.comicvine.com/news/marvel-now-checklistwhat-you-have-to-look-forward-to/145415/

Dangelus

Read Fantastic Four and All New X-Men. Pretty good.

The new Deadpool series is pretty interesting too. :)

ChrisMC

Is anybody up to date on Spider-Man? I guess he's going into Marvel NOW after issue 700 as Otto Octavius in Superior Spider-Man # 1. I haven't read a Spider title consistently since Brand New Day ( I hate reset buttons)but this seems pretty bizarre.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/12/26/showbiz/celebrity-news-gossip/spidey-700-controversy/?hpt=en_c1
Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/