Podcast # 395 - "Dune"

Started by Rico, July 29, 2012, 06:46:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChrisMC

Check out our Classic BSG podcast! http://ragtagfugitivepodcast.com/

Meds

Chaps, what a great podcast this was. Really enjoyed the fact you both didnt agree with each other all the time. Always good to hear different opinions about the same subject.
I have not seen Dune in about fifteen years and once again listening to a podcast has made me want to go out and watch both the film and the tv series.

Great show guys.

Bryancd

ChrisMC

Can anyone really agree with Bryan ALL the time?? ;)

Thanks Meds, high praise coming from you. Had a blast doing it with him, and it was really just a great nerdy conversation like I have with pals over beers. Looking forward to doing it again sometime.

Meds

Well thank you Chris, and Bry. I always think when doing a joint podcast if they come across as if you are both sitting there together chewing the fat over a beer then it's the best kind of show. More please Gents.

PS Chris you will be coming close top beating my guest host tally at this rate lol

Bryancd

Being disagreeable is a point of pride. :)

Ensign Random

I wanted to thank you for a great show. I'm a bit behind on catching up. I haven't read Dune-but think I will give the books a chance now. I had a roommate in college who was a Dune fanatic.
"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it."
― Neil deGrasse Tyson
http://smartgirlsscifi.wordpress.com
@mrsbookmark

ricdude

Quote from: Ensign Random on August 03, 2012, 02:47:11 PM
I wanted to thank you for a great show. I'm a bit behind on catching up. I haven't read Dune-but think I will give the books a chance now. I had a roommate in college who was a Dune fanatic.

I read at least five of them many years ago.  Fair warning, they tend to start off pretty slow with a lot of exposition, but once the action starts to happen, they're amazing.  If you can stick it out through the setup, the payoff is great.

WillEagle

Enjoyed the podcast, gentlemen. I have seen the Dune miniseries but never the movie and I have never read the books. You guys covered a ton of things about Dune but I don't think I would have the time to get into the book series. Maybe I should just read the original book and be done with it?

Bryancd

Yeah Wil, the first book is a standalone story.

PaulECoyote

I've not read the books, but did see the film and then tv series.  I find it really interesting that the weirding modules weren't in the books, or the navigators.

I also forgive the film for it's whispering exposition... it certainly gives it a very unique feel.
Though perhaps if I had read the books first I would feel the same.  Some things about the Harry Potter movies really grate on me when they stray from the books.  There again some lines in the film really feel like they *should* be in the books.

It does seem the film tells almost a parallel universe version of the books.  The fact the whole heart plug scene (which I agree is gross) was not in the book... or the bug squishing thing is really interesting.  The characters in the books sound like they have more grey to them.

I've not seen the TV version since it first aired in the UK ages ago.  Though listening to the clips I had totally forgotten about Ian McNeice was the baron (Dr Who, Doc Martin, etc).

Interesting and informative podcast, thanks for doing it :)

Bryancd

Cheers! Navigators are in the book, it was just their presentation and depiction in the film that is very different from the novel.

ChrisMC

In that they are barely portrayed at all! Just sort of mentioned, and that if you go and try and catch a glance of one, you get your spacing privileges revoked.

Redshirt97

I just listen to the podcast last night, great job guys.  I saw the Lynch version back when it was in the theaters and saw it again on cable.  I also enjoyed the sci-fi Minni series as well.  I was OK with the original, I think I was able to get most of it even thought I never read the books. I think they should have simply made the original into a TV mini series like everone was doing back then.  I recall that mini series based on best selling novels where the highest rated programs back in the mid 80's.  I got the sound track on cassette tape back then too, I thought the music was aussume, I loved the rock group Toto back then. 
I am going with the best information that I have.

jedijeff

Great Job on the Podcast Chris and Bryan. You both really covered Dune well, and had lots of great information. Suspect it must have taken a bit to cover and time researching.