What's everyone reading?

Started by Rico, March 15, 2007, 05:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on June 18, 2007, 02:27:26 PM
I'm now on the third Star Trek Vangaurd book. This is a really fun TOS series!

I have read the first two and liked them.  Time to get number three.  I'm finally about to start reading the Legacy of the Force series - book 1 - Betrayal.  Also, I have the first Stephen King Dark Tower book on deck (never got around to reading that series yet).

Bryancd

Dark Tower will suck you in! It's fascinating stuff!

jedijeff

I have been reading the Legacy of the Force series as well, I am on Book two right now, Bloodlines. So far it has been fantastic, I have not been this excited about Star Wars books since the Thrawn Trilogy. I will probably take a break after Bloodlines and read a Star Trek Enterprise book. I want to pace myself, as it will be a year before book 5 of the series comes out in paperback, so I will save Tempest and Exile for later in the year.

Jen

I'm reading The Courtship Of Princess Leia. Its taking me a long time to finish this novel, just not my cup of tea. I think I'll pick up the Thrawn Trilogy next.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Duffster

Just started the Taken Trilogy by Alan Dean Foster. Not too far into it yet, but pretty interesting so far.

Duffster
Duffster is, The HugoNaut
www.thehugonaut.com

Bryancd

Quote from: Jen on June 25, 2007, 10:57:41 AM
I'm reading The Courtship Of Princess Leia. Its taking me a long time to finish this novel, just not my cup of tea. I think I'll pick up the Thrawn Trilogy next.

You'll love the Thrawn books, they are very exciting!

Locutus

I'm currently reading Hard Rain by Barry Eisler. It is a "Cool Assassin" novel, in the vein of The Bourne Identity, but more thriller-esqe instead of actioney. (HA! Envy my word makey uppey skills!)

I finished The Labyrinth Key my Howard Hendrix just a few days ago, and The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi a few days before that, so I'm looking forward to jumping into the last book of that trilogy, The Last Outpost.

Next on the list: The Last Outpost, John Scalzi; Rainbow's End, Verner Vinge; Rain Storm, Barry Eisler; White Knight, Jim Butcher; Broken Angels, Richard K. Morgan; and The Android's Dream, John Scalzi.
Admiral Piett: Impossible! Are calcs proves us otherwise.
" Blalock's 'Shadow Puppets' To Get California Release" <-- Best headline ever on this site.

lostrekkie

My Dad, who is awesome by the way, got me first editions of the first issues of Star Trek and Star Trek: The Next Generation comic books for my B-day. I was super surprised when I opened the present and saw those two comics there. It was great.

Also, another great series that I am reading is the Star Trek: Mirror Universe series. I had to do a big report on it for my English class.

First, I had to make a logo, letterhead, and buisness card for my *fake* agent company. Then I had to write a letter to my English and Computers teachers (it was a joint project) to try to convince them to have me make a presenation on the book, to see if they will "publish" it. If it wasnt a good letter, then you would have to do it again, or you would not know the date of your presenation and have to be prepared EVERY day. I got accepted. Then I had to do a resume for my Author then make a book cover and back for the book including the barcode, price, etc... and put it on the book.  Then I had to do the presenation, using powerpoint, and talk about my author, my company, myself, my book, and the literary elements in the story. It was fun but really challanging and it took up the last 10 weeks of my 9th grade career, but it paid off with six 100s and two 95s.

For those of you who made it through that long and boring story, read the Star Trek: Mirror Universe 2-book series. You wont regret it.

It containts short stories set entirely in the mirror universe with one for each Star Trek series and one for the awesome Star Trek: New Frontier series.

By the way, Star Trek: New Frontier is a great series to read. And the Harry Potter is coming out...
"The quality of a society can be seen through the quality of its art."

Come visit my Star Trek fan fiction series at http://stmirrorwars.tripod.com

Darth Gaos

I have just started the Thrawn Trilogy and I must say I am hooked!  Hopefully reading this will help get into the NJO series a bit more because I still have not gotten through "Vector Prime" yet.

The Thrawn Trilogy will take a back seat on July 21st though as I will be thoroughly engrossed in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (as I am susure many on the forum will be also).

The rest of the year I am looking to pick up the last 2 books in Harry Turtledove's absolutely fascinating and extensive alternate history series that consists of 11 books total I believe.  A second Darth Bane novel is coming out by Drew Karpyshyn, and I am really looking forward to the Death Star novel due out in the fall also.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Fanboy

Thrawn Trilogy rocks dude.  Gotta read those again if I can find them.
"I aim to misbehave."

Jen

Quote from: Darth Gaos on July 12, 2007, 12:21:09 PM
I have just started the Thrawn Trilogy and I must say I am hooked!  Hopefully reading this will help get into the NJO series a bit more because I still have not gotten through "Vector Prime" yet.

The Thrawn Trilogy will take a back seat on July 21st though as I will be thoroughly engrossed in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (as I am susure many on the forum will be also).

The rest of the year I am looking to pick up the last 2 books in Harry Turtledove's absolutely fascinating and extensive alternate history series that consists of 11 books total I believe.  A second Darth Bane novel is coming out by Drew Karpyshyn, and I am really looking forward to the Death Star novel due out in the fall also.

I loved Path Of Destruction. I can't wait for the second Karpyshyn novel. I was riveted by the first one. I've seen those alternate history novels...they look very interesting. Are they well written? I've been tempted to pick one  up.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

I've been listening to the unabridged version of  Vulcan Soul book I, Exodus, at work. That audio book is the BEST one I've listen to thus far. I love the back story they included about ancient Vulcans. I'm going to buy the next one from iTunes very soon. The unabridged version was well worth the extra money.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Bryancd

I just finished Gene Kranz's autobiography "Failure Is Not An Option" following his career as Flight Director at Mission Control Mercurey through Apollo. Awesome stuff.
Keeping with my NASA theme, I am now readin "Apollo 13" by Jim Lovell.

Geoff G.o.B

I'm reading my way through GamesWorkshop novels right now, just killing time until the next Terry Pratchett is released.
If you can remain calm when all around you are panicking, you probably didn't understand the question

Darth Gaos

Quote from: Jen on July 12, 2007, 07:37:10 PM
I loved Path Of Destruction. I can't wait for the second Karpyshyn novel. I was riveted by the first one. I've seen those alternate history novels...they look very interesting. Are they well written? I've been tempted to pick one  up.

They are very well written.  I will give you a background....

The series really begins with a book named How Few Remain.  It begins in the year 1881 in an America where the Confederacy won the Civil War (thanks, if I remember correctly, to Lee's Order 191 not being found by Union troops which allows Lee to actually surprise McClellan at Antietam and drive and destory the Army of the Potomac near Philadelphia).  The Confederacy purchases two territories from Mexico thereby allowing the CSA to stretch from Atlantic to Pacific...the USA does not like this and the two once again find themselves at opposite ends of the battlefield.

After that book is a series of three books known as the "Great War Trilogy" which as the name surmises moves forward in time to WWI in which the European trench warfare that we know from history books is fought on American soil as well.

Next is the "American Empire Trilogy" which is inter-war America (1920-1940)...great series of books.

Finally is the "Settling Account Quartet" which details an alternate WWII.

What I love about Turtledove is he uses real-life notable people at times and puts them into not unbelivable alternate history scenarios.  He is also not afraid to kill what are perceived to be primary characters if the story dictates.

Overall I would say if you are fan of US history and World history to an extent and you like a good "what-if" story....I HIGHLY recommend these books.

You can find a bit more info at the Wiki entry for Harry Turtledove.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?