What's everyone reading?

Started by Rico, March 15, 2007, 05:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Reading "The Golden Compass" by Philip Pullman.  Wanted to read it before the movie comes out.

The IC

Ktrek

I'm reading a fantastic history about the Three Stooges called THE THREE STOOGES SCRAPBOOK. I an learning a whole lot about them I never knew. Sony has started releasing the complete collection of all their 190 shorts and volume one just came out this week. They had fascinating lives and careers.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

wraith1701

I'm reading the latest Next Generation novel- Before Dishonor, as well as DS9: Mission Gamma pt. I- Twilight

PepperDude

I'm gonna go back and finish the last 4 novellas of One Million A.D., edited by Gardner Dozois. It has six novellas that portray humanity one million years (or more) in the future. The writers include: Robert Reed, Robert Silverberg, Nancy Kress, Alastair Reynolds, Charles Stross, and Greg Egan. I enjoyed the first 2 novellas.

Ktrek

Quote from: wraith1701 on November 01, 2007, 05:56:35 PM
I'm reading the latest Next Generation novel- Before Dishonor, as well as DS9: Mission Gamma pt. I- Twilight

Wraith,

Have you read Resistance and Q&A first or are you just picking this one up because of Peter David's name on it? How are you enjoying it? I have not gotten a copy yet but intend to read it.

Oh...and I forgot to mention I am also reading a Justice League of America book called Wonder Woman - Mythos by Carol Lay. Very fun read!

Kevin

"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Jen

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

billybob476

Quote from: Jen on November 02, 2007, 11:51:11 AM
Star Wars: Death Star.

That is so on my list once I catch up on Legacy of the Force. How do you like it so far?

KingIsaacLinksr

O.o is it good Jen?  Sounds like an interesting book.

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

wraith1701

Quote from: Ktrek on November 01, 2007, 09:01:36 PM
Quote from: wraith1701 on November 01, 2007, 05:56:35 PM

Wraith,

Have you read Resistance and Q&A first or are you just picking this one up because of Peter David's name on it? How are you enjoying it? I have not gotten a copy yet but intend to read it.
Kevin

I used to be an avid reader of the Next Gen books, but the ones released after Nemesis (the A Time To series) just didn't click with me, so I dropped them.  The wait between releases of New Frontier books lead me to give Next Gen another try, and I'm glad that I did!   I read both Resistance and Q & A, and was pleasantly surprised!  :)

I like the fact that the relaunch books are all part of a large, continuing story, and I like the direction they are taking with Picard and Crusher's relationship.  The make-up of the new senior staff is pretty interesting... I like the byplay and tension that is developing between the "old guard" and the new officers.  I'm also impressed with their depiction of the "new" Borg; they seem even more dangerous and scary than they were in First Contact

Of course, having been written by Peter David, Before Dishonor strikes me as being the best of the batch so far. :)

Ktrek

Thanks Wraith! I appreciate your input and now I am more excited to get a copy of Before Dishonor! I was planning on getting it anyway because I am a huge Peter David fan, at least as far as his Trek books are concerned, but I have not seen it in stores here yet. I might have to order it online!

Kevin

Blackride

I am reading a history book as I usually do, It's called Agustus. If you are interested at all in Rome and it's history this is really a great book.

http://www.randomhouse.com/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400061280
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

Jen

Quote from: billybob476 on November 02, 2007, 11:59:11 AM
Quote from: Jen on November 02, 2007, 11:51:11 AM
Star Wars: Death Star.

That is so on my list once I catch up on Legacy of the Force. How do you like it so far?

Yep, so far so good. It starts off highlighting several characters per chapter—one character is written about then in the next chapter switches to another and so on and so forth. I heard Brock (the book club guy) on Star Wars Action News say that he thought it made the book hard to get into at first. It's not bothering me, in fact I really want to know more about the prisoner they highlighted who is on her way to work on the Death Star.

We should start a little Star Wars book club. I'm looking forward to reading the next Darth Bane novel, maybe we could start with that one. I know a few other members have expressed an interest in it.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

the_wasd_man

Right now I'm going in and out of reading the Rihannsu: the Bloodwing Voyages omnibus. But it's going slowly, partly due to school work, but also due to the fact that it's really hard to carry around (it's pretty big). One of my friends noted that it was published by pocket books, right before he tried in vain to fit it in his pocket. :D

psikeyhackr

I am struggling thru Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds.  It has been on a shelf for months because I purchased it on the basis of reviews of sci-fi books on an SF site.  It did not pass my 20 page test so I quit.  Someone on another message board recommended it so I decided to force my way thru and discuss it with him.

It is what I regard as literary science fiction not scientific science fiction.  It reminds me of Dune.  I probably would have liked it better 20 years ago.  It tries my patience now.

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling