Comments & Complements from readers and players

Started by Jen, August 29, 2007, 04:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feathers

My characters are pretty much settled into their break so I'm happy to run with whatever works. Tolok is forgoing the gala to work out some of his personal demons regarding the Romulan race while Galdar's having a whale of a time with Ryla which has now been somewhat spoiled by his father turning up.

As an aside, I don't care whether anyone reads the last few Galdar/Ryla posts or not but I had a great time writing them with Jen and really enjoyed bringing some of the backstory interaction we got going between these two characters into the mainstream story.

Really fun!

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Meds

I've  had a blast this season and the next one is going to be awesome.  Been loving all the stories, well done all.

Feathers

Yes, there's beean a lot of character work going on while still managing to keep the story fairly tight. It's been an impressive season all round.

Jen

Quote from: Feathers on October 06, 2009, 01:13:56 AM
My characters are pretty much settled into their break so I'm happy to run with whatever works. Tolok is forgoing the gala to work out some of his personal demons regarding the Romulan race while Galdar's having a whale of a time with Ryla which has now been somewhat spoiled by his father turning up.

As an aside, I don't care whether anyone reads the last few Galdar/Ryla posts or not but I had a great time writing them with Jen and really enjoyed bringing some of the backstory interaction we got going between these two characters into the mainstream story.

Really fun!
Quote from: Feathers on October 06, 2009, 03:21:35 AM
Yes, there's beean a lot of character work going on while still managing to keep the story fairly tight. It's been an impressive season all round.

I've enjoyed writing those with you too. The mental image of Galdar's backflip always makes me laugh.  I couldn't stop myself from bringing a little Shindig/Kaylee to Ryla in those scenes..."there's some sort of hot cheeeeeeese cookies over there...Hot cheeeeese cookies". :D  

I'm happy with this season as well. Good job and keep it up everyone. We're nearing the home stretch. If no one speaks up with regards to their individual character stories, I'm going to begin closing the door on this chapter. Allen, I know you said you had something up your sleeve for Herm. If you're going to write it, hop to it Hopsing. ;)  Let me know so I can postpone the ending.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

Hey guys, I'm working on the final post for the season now and I'd like to get it up on sunday. Does anyone need more time for their posts?

Meds

X

Cool! I just set up part of the lead in, and I'll wrap things up on sunday.

X

Welcome back folks. Good to see you all back.

Meds

Awesome work so far, looking forward to seeing posts from those who have not yet jumped on board. Keep up the good work :)

Jen

It seems like a very polished episode so far. Well done everyone! Remember we do this to have fun and to stretch our writing muscles. Lets continue to work together and encourage one another.  ;)

Did you know the RPG will be three years old on February 5th this year! Yeah!!!!  :cheering

I wanted to thank Hawkeyemeds and Just X for taking the modding reigns for me. When I found out I was pregnant I knew I would not be able to spare the attention this RPG and its writers deserved, and I did not believe I would be able to come back and give the same amount of effort that I have been putting forth for the last three years. I haven't been on Trek SF very much lately and as such I neglected to post why I asked these two writers in particular, to step in for me. I really should go ahead I do that now... and since I feel like being a cheerleader today (yeah the RPG is almost 3!) I'll pass on a little 'writer to writer warm and fuzzy advice' and moderator insights you may not have known about. (sorry for the long post, but when have I ever posted anything short and sweet? :D )

I recruited Meds for Season 6 in March of 2008. He said he had never written anything other than a script and was not sure he could write a story in an RPG, but true to form he quickly added that he would be glad to 'give it a go'. In the almost two years he's been writing with us, Meds has been energetic about the stories and extremely consistent as a writer (from beginning to end). He's always encouraging, always eager, always in good spirits, always gets along with other writers and never gives less than 100 percent to this game. Since day one, I have found his energy to be infectious and I love writing with him. He has learned much about writing since the day he made his first post and I think he will be a great example and help to new writers.

Chris (Just X) joined this game in Season Three (Aug 7, 2007). Like Meds he has been an eager and consistent writer every season since he joined. The first thing that struck me about his writing were his ideas, perspectives and approach to the story, which were new and interesting. He had an eye for important details and the ability to aid confused newbies or lost writers with their characters, helping them work their way into the story. I have enjoyed writing with him. Sevryll use to dislike Aeric (he stole her DNA to make a clone of their daughter from an alternate time line :D ) now they're an old married couple. It has been fun to work with Chris to develop our two characters over the past few years. Chris also helped me last season when Kenny could no longer mod this game. I tried doing it alone and found it overwhelming. He helped me direct the story and keep it on track and organized, which is very important to a game with so many writers participating.

Aside from all of that, Chris and Meds work well together. They've had their differences, as have all of us at one time or another, but they know the importance of keeping the game going, keeping it on track and organized and making sure it's fun and not an ego trip to any one character. What one moderator lacks, the other makes up for...it's a ying/yang situation that seemed to work well for Kenny and I.  Any-hoo, that's my long winded reason for why I asked them in particular to take over. They're great guys, great writers and great leaders. When you encourage each other in this OOC section, please don't forget to encourage them too. I can tell you modding an RPG can be frustrating and discouraging and we need to pat them on the back too.

Modding is not easy, especially if there is conflict between writers, which usually happens off screen (it did when Kenny and were mods because we wanted to keep the boards complaint and gripe free so as not to turn away potential writers). Dealing with spats quickly makes modding a stressful and thankless job that pays absolutely squat. Try not to give the mods a hard time...ask yourself if the beef you have will ruin your character forever or if you can find a work around that will suffice. Work together, not against each other. Kenny and I didn't talk a lot about this on the boards, because most of this happened off screen (attitudes and negativity), but know that in the past a few writers have been asked to leave the game due to their belligerent approach to the moderators and their craptastic attitudes about the game. One of those writer's had a character that was air locked in Season 5...it made for an entertaining scene, but it didn't have to be if he had been respectful to others.  Remember this game should be fun. The second it becomes a chore, or a stressful task to you, please take a step back...take a break, but let the mods know when you do.

The mods in this RPG act as the 'directors' of a show. Some people may not like direction they give, but if you want to know what chaos is like, read Season One. WOW...that was nuts!  :wacko   There was no direction and no real authority to speak of. Many people dropped out that season and it was never completed. Kenny and I took over after that and in the three years that followed we actively recruited people to either try the RPG or come back. We developed the use of an outline to guide people who felt lost in the first season. It worked well and tried to included everyone in the story in addition to helping them know the goal they should be writing towards. Hopefully that will be something that remains apart of this RPG.

Thank you again, Meds and Chris. Great job on the outline and direction. Keep up the good work and if you need anything from me, don't hesitate to ask.  Also, thanks to Kenny for all his hard work and dedication to this game. I've made many friends here, but the RPG seems to cultivate good friends through the cooperation needed to put forth a story. I will miss working with you as a mod and as a co-host on the Ready Room...luckily we're still pals off the boards. :) I hope you will come back as a writer.

Great job writers. Don't forget to post your complements for one another.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Feathers

I love the whole parental overtones of the second of the Aeric/Sevryll two-parter.

Yes, keep the boys away for as long as you can! (OK, I'm a father with daughters. We haven't reached that stage yet but still...)

Feathers

I think Ryla ought to ditch the guards :)

Naming a Romulan Gertrude ought to do it...

Jen

Quote from: Feathers on January 14, 2010, 04:17:50 AM
I think Ryla ought to ditch the guards :)

Naming a Romulan Gertrude ought to do it...

Nah, she wouldn't do that...though it would be fun. :D  She might talk them into playing cards or something. I'm still considering what I should do there. Just because she's confined to quarters doesn't mean I can't contribute to the story from her quarters. :)  I'm thinking of playing Nurse Caine in Sickbay too.

As far as the rest of the story, I'm enjoying it very much. Great job everyone. I loved Galdar's reaction to his promotion.

Poor D'Callan. What a mess he's in now. :)

Shelby is reminding me of Ro Laren. Especially now—remember Ro's last episode: "Preemptive Strike"?

Looking forward to seeing what happens next.

We should all start working together on the investigation so we're on the same page. I sent the moderators a list of the people last season that were written into the story on purpose, so they could be included as suspects after the murder. That should make it's way to the board soon.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Meds

That's up in the OCC season 11 section now :)

Feathers

Yay! Herm's back!

I've been waiting for him to come back.