Lord of the Rings Online

Started by Blackride, August 29, 2007, 07:13:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackride

Is anyone else playing Lord of the Rings Online? I just bought it last week and got my Guardian to Level 20. I really like the game but I don't have many friends playing it :(
Ripley: Ash. Any suggestions from you or Mother?
Ash: No, we're still collating.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

billybob476

I heard it was basically WoW with a LotR skin on it. Any comments? If it's a bit different I might consider trying it out.

Blackride

It's kinda combo of WOW and DAOC. After level 20 it's comes into it's own. I will say that overall these games are so similiar it's silly. I played them all and they all have their positive and negatives. I mainly like LOTR over WOW because there is really no PVP except for Monster play and that is silly.
Ripley: [Laughing in disbelief] You're what? You're still collating? I find that hard to believe.

KingIsaacLinksr

Sorry, but I am a wow fan....but lately, I think WOW is about to bite the dust.  3 short reasons: 1.  End-game content requires a lot of time and grinding....this is exactly as it was at lvl 60 (from what I hear).  So blizzard essentially lied to us all when it said it "leveled the playing field."  total bs.  2.  PVP is soooo unbalanced its not funny.  3.  People are tired of noobs, jerks, ppl that cant' play right, etc.

But anyway, we're not talking about wow.  From what I've seen about LOTR Online, its basicly the same as WOW.  I will probably never pick it up because I also hear that LOTR players critize and spam about how WOW sucks.  Also, why would I want to regrind.....its just not a fun idea.  Oh and paying more $$ a month doesn't make my wallet happy either  :laugh:

King Linksr
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

Blackride

Quote from: Kinglinksr on August 30, 2007, 12:48:49 AM
Sorry, but I am a wow fan....but lately, I think WOW is about to bite the dust.  3 short reasons: 1.  End-game content requires a lot of time and grinding....this is exactly as it was at lvl 60 (from what I hear).  So blizzard essentially lied to us all when it said it "leveled the playing field."  total bs.  2.  PVP is soooo unbalanced its not funny.  3.  People are tired of noobs, jerks, ppl that cant' play right, etc.

But anyway, we're not talking about wow.  From what I've seen about LOTR Online, its basicly the same as WOW.  I will probably never pick it up because I also hear that LOTR players critize and spam about how WOW sucks.  Also, why would I want to regrind.....its just not a fun idea.  Oh and paying more $$ a month doesn't make my wallet happy either  :laugh:

King Linksr

WoW is having the same problems as DAOC had eventually with PvP, which is why it failed.

On LOTR the "grind" is not nearly as bad as it was for WoW,EQI(II),D&D or DAOC. There is virtually little to no down time like other games. People do talk on OOC channels but the topics vary. LOTRO definetly has a much older player base when compared to WoW. When I ask questions I never get smart a@@ answers or anything...

KingIsaacLinksr

Really?  I heard from a friend its all: "Wow sucks." and crud.  But then, you would get that topic with every new MMORPG.  I could see how past WOW players would want to play LOTR because it wouldn't have all the noobs and jerks that WOW has.  Also, they wouldn't have to deal with all the spam and junk that WOW has...

idk, all I do know is that WOW is losing its player base more and more everyday.   

BTW, Blackride, how much have you played?  Is it that good? In other words, is it all that they "promised"?

King Linksr

Blackride

Quote from: Kinglinksr on August 30, 2007, 09:48:42 AM

BTW, Blackride, how much have you played?  Is it that good? In other words, is it all that they "promised"?

King Linksr

Honestly, The game is just anohter MMORPG. I enjoy it because it's not PvP and it can be at your own pace, meaning you can group if you want or you can solo. The game is HEAVILY quest based which I like since it keeps me involved in the world and not having to always worry about leveling. So overall I would say it's a fun game and its a change due to it being in the LOTR world but don't expect anything ground breaking at all.

Jobydrone

I played it for a day but my laptop is just not powerful enough to play it, it was real framey and laggy, so I couldnt deal.  I also was pretty shocked at how similar it was to WoW.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

KingIsaacLinksr

Hmm....well, maybe if I get tired of WOW, I'll go to LOTR.  It sounds more like what I want out of a game.  I like PVP, but since its so unbalanced, it makes it hard and annoying to play sometimes. 

All in all, maybe its worthwhile.

Thanks.

King Linksr

Geekyfanboy

Moria Expands Rings Online

Turbine announced that it plans in the fall to release The Mines of Moria, a retail expansion for its massively multiplayer online game The Lord of the Rings Online. Moria will increase the play options and areas in the game, which is based on J.R.R. Tolkien's epic fantasy trilogy of books.

Jeffrey Steefel, the game's executive producer, told SCI FI Wire that the expansion will add new classes, raise the level cap, add the ability to create legendary items and enhance the ability to delve into the deeps of the title Mines of Moria. All of this content launches what Turbine considers to be volume two of the game's saga, paving the way for the next six issues of expanded content for the game.

"It's been an amazing first year for The Lord of the Rings Online," Steefel said in an interview. "And it's so exciting to be able to bring players into one of the most iconic fantasy locations ever created. Moria is the perfect passage for players into volume two of The Lord of the Rings Online and promises to be unlike anything they have ever experienced."

Moria, the dwarven city of Khazad-dûm that lies beneath the Misty Mountains, is host to seemingly endless tunnels, goblins galore and enough dungeon-like areas to keep a dwarf sharpening his ax for many hours. Beyond dungeon crawling, players will be able to explore the city of Khazad-dûm itself and even get involved in releasing the monstrous Balrog named Durin's Bane, the very Balrog that battled Gandalf as the Fellowship of the Ring struggled to escape the mines.

The Mines of Moria will increase the level cap to 60, allowing players to further improve their characters. New class options will also be available, which will let players start their adventures anew as Wardens and Rune-keepers.

Fans will be able to pursue an expanded crafting system that will allow them to craft more powerful items, including legendary items such as Bilbo's sword, Sting, which can grow more powerful alongside developing characters. --Kyle Ackerman

Rico

Anyone played much of this game?  I might give it a go, since you can at least play part of it for free now.

http://www.lotro.com/

Blackride

Quote from: Rico on July 28, 2010, 07:10:29 PM
Anyone played much of this game?  I might give it a go, since you can at least play part of it for free now.

http://www.lotro.com/

Yes, I played it a ton. It kinda feels like a dead MMO at this point. There are not exactly a lot of people running around. This can be good or bad depending on how you like to play.

The main story line is cool and has some nice movies to watch. The sub-plots and quests are the typical WoW,EQ,DAOC type quests. The fight system is the same as every other MMO.

I would say if you like LOTR it's worth a try but do not expect a flourishing community.

KingIsaacLinksr

I amusingly got this game from a friend, but my interest died pretty quickly.  As Blackride says, it's dead.  They missed it and no one's really willing to go to it.  Going free-to-play pretty much admits that you've given up...

King

Geekyfanboy

I have several friends who love playing LOTRO and it sounds far from dead.. actually hearing you guy talk about how dead it is make me want to play it more and more.. not a big fan of crowded MMO's

billybob476

I'd definitely give it a go if I had more free time! My next major game investment will be Starcraft 2. Blizzard needs more of my money. I worry they may go out of business without it :D