Star Trek: Season 4 - Family Matters

Started by Jen, September 28, 2007, 07:11:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen

A Joint post by Jen and Just X

Called away by Captain Quinn, Sevryll left David alone with Aria and Lieutenant Tain.  As the Orion security officer continued to give Aria tips on technique, David reached down to make sure the ring her father loaned him, was still in his pocket. He needed to test it in order to verify that Aeric was telling him the truth. If he was, David would have to contemplate the consequences of  inoculating Sevryll and their children, without his wife's  knowledge. There was no way she would voluntarily accept the injection of nanites that would protect her from temporal incursions. He was pretty sure he agreed with her, but something deep inside contended the penalties of such an omission. A time shift could remove them from existence and he'd never know they were ever alive. He shivered at the thought.

Aria called him back to reality with a parting statement. "Thank you Colonel."

He cut his gaze towards the girl and met her formally steely gray eyes. Her resemblance to Sevryll was incredible, save that one feature... yet now her eyes were brown...the kid was strange. "Of course," he replied in an uncommitted tone.

Something was odd about the colonel, though she couldn't quite put her finger on it. Aria turned to Tain and thanked  him as well,  before leaving  the Holodeck.

Cedric smiled as he watched her walk away. "Nice kid," he said. "She looks a lot like the Commander, doesn't' she?"

David grunted at the comment as he started out the door. The romulan paused in the doorway and turned around to face the hulking Orion, "Thanks for all your help Cedric, you're a good man." He offered the security officer a hand and Tain shook it firmly.

"Aye, and you too colonel. Say, would ya be interested in have'n a drink with me 'n Lieutenant Manrique in Five Forward later?"

David flashed a sly grin, "certainly my green friend. Just let me know when, and I'll be there with Vulcan sisteras on. But I want to check on Arcturus first."

He parted ways with the security officer and headed for an empty science lab where he could "borrow" a temporal scanner. The test confirmed Areic's claim that the ring came from another timeline...but could not verify whether there were any threats to his family.

He pocketed the ring and proceeded to the Aurora to return the artifact and obtain more information. He'd check on Arcturus afterwards.

Aboard the Aurora, soft terran music played in the background as Aeric attached the various equipment to his outfit. Given the nature of the mission in quest, he had replicated new black clothing that would not be mistaken for a Starfleet uniform. Newly replicated equipment now fit comfortably on his waist and wrists. Among the new equipment were micronized tools and medical equipment.

The technology was meant to replicate standard away team equipment in an integrated universal platform.  Advanced tricorder sensors, visual communications systems, integrated PADD, and a flip-top display were blended in the wrist units. The waist unit meshed a micro power generator, phaser pistol power cell replacements with recharging ports, pattern enhancers, database systems, and a micro-replicator with various tool patterns.

The combination of technologies was only the beginning of the ideas that the crew was coming up with in response to Aeric's request. It was unfortunate that they had run out of time and could only incorporate proven technologies into the new systems. Given time, the designs that the crew of the Tiberius were coming up with could become a new standard in away team missions.

The design of the pulsed phaser pistols was a departure from current Starfleet handheld phasers, but they were made to be weapons. The pistols were designed to penetrate the personal shields of the Borg instead of attempting to stay ahead of their adaptation. Each phaser was also equipped with the ability to adjust the output levels to allow for both a stun setting and multi-fire modes.

Once fully dressed, Aeric pulled a rich brown romulan cloak over his head and allowed it to drape his form. While it would hide the visual detection of the new equipment, it also hampered the ability to access the phaser pistol. As he analyzed the outfit, Aeric realized that he would need to add a shoulder holster to grant better access to the pistol. It wasn't a perfect solution, but it was far more efficient than a waist holster.

While the new systems were efficient, it was their potential for upgrading that brought better value to the new design. Given time and advances, Aeric could see the newly designed system as a practical means to generate personal shields and transporter systems. It was a technology that he could not replicated with his nanites without violating his refusal to incorporate permanent bio-implants into a host. This new system had the potential to bridge that gap. Aeric couldn't help but smile at the success of the engineering team that was assembled to bring this project to life. It reminded of all the time he could have saved developing the Aurora had he had a team as efficient as those on the Tiberius.

Aeric was working towards  finishing the equipment for the mission, when the ship's systems notified him of the arrival of the colonel. Aeric had assumed that he would have returned much earlier; a thought later and he had cleared the colonel to enter the ship and put away his tools.

"Thank you for returning. I actually expected you much sooner." Aeric said as he approached the faux romulan. "So, where should we begin with this conversation? Before you ask, Sevryll and I never had the type of relationship that would normally be required to produce a child. We were close friends that solved a medical situation and didn't let that hamper our friendship."

He knew that he didn't have to explain, but Aeric felt that it was best that the man realized that he was not after his wife. Aeric and Sevryll's relationship just wasn't like that.

"It's good you let me know, I had plans to filet you," said David with a sinister grin. He reached into his pocket and tossed the ring to Aeric,"it checks out, but I can't verify your claims regarding the threat to my wife and children.  How do you suppose I authenticate  that?"

Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

After providing David with information regarding the timeline changes that he personally experienced, Aeric gave the man time to think about that information and headed to the flight deck. His team had been pulling double shifts for the last few days in an effort to modify two of the Volga class runabouts.

Both the newly renamed Styx and the Lethe were in the finishing stages of their power upgrades and holographic infiltration systems. Early in the conversion of the scoutships, the chief realized that the hull of the vessels would need to be rebuilt to support the new holoemitters. They didn't have the time to redesign the entire ship, so when the chief suggested that they apply the modification to a redesigned Volga class runabout, the entire flight deck jumped at the chance.  To distinguish the ships from their base class, the chief designated the redesigned runabouts as Styx Class.

"How is the work going Chief?" the lieutenant asked as he entered the repair bay. Teams of crewmen were swarming over the two runabout as they attached the modified hull plating and tested the new power systems. With over a dozen people working on each shuttle, it would be hard for them not to complete their tasks on time.

"With the increased power, we decided to fit the Acheron and the Lethe with new plasma injectors that will improve her speed by an entire warp factor." Rina said as she closed a panel of one of the Lethe's nacelles. She retrieved a PADD from on the top of her tool box and headed to the lieutenant. "We've installed the new Infiltration systems and databases to support the holomatrix generation. Due to the time factor, we have only included Federation and Romulan skins so far."

"I'm impressed," Aeric said as he took the PADD that Chief Grant offered him. "The efforts of you teams have been amazing."

Rina laughed. "Thank you sir, but I think that the level of their work has something to do with most of them coming up for review at the end of the month. I think that Stevens is bucking for a promotion. He hasn't taken more than a few hours off to get some sleep while working on this. I also hear that you've been burning the midnight oil to get things done for this mission."

Aeric laughed. "I think you and I both know that the things we are working on are going to go further than just this mission. If these technologies work in the field, we will be in a better position for future missions."

"You came just in time for lunch," Rina said as she nodded to expectant crew. "Would you care to join us?"

Aeric nodded. "I'd love to. Speaking of eating, I have another idea that we are going to try for the flight deck."

"Idea sir?" Rina asked as she led the lieutenant to the Styx. Inside the work teams were already making use of the replicators to produce their meals. As soon as they entered the back of the runabout, both Rina and Aeric were presented with large glasses of replicated terran lemonade.

"Anytime that we need to perform a mission of this magnitude or just to keep the spirits of the flight deck up, we're going to have what I'm calling a family dinner. Officers and enlisted of the Aero Group are going to all gather together for a banquet dinner. Rank will be left at the door and we all have a chance to let our hair down." Aeric said. He wasn't sure how everyone would take the dinners, but he knew that they needed them. As he analyzed his team he quickly realized that the deck crew worked harder when their efforts were respected by the flight teams. He also saw how the pilots and controllers were more comfortable to push themselves when they trusted their equipment and the people that worked on them.

"I think our people are going to enjoy that."

"Good, I'm bringing a case of non-replicated champagne for the crew to enjoy. Those people that are stuck with duties for the mission will each get a bottle to enjoy after the mission and everyone else can enjoy the remainder at the dinner." Aeric said as he took a sip of the lemonade.  For the past week he had been taking his breakfast on the holodeck with the key members of his staff. In those breakfasts, they ignored rank and were able to bounce ideas off each other while enjoying the favorite places of those attending the breakfasts. It helped them to become closer and that seemed to increase the productivity of the entire department. "Thank you for the drink Rina, but I need to start distributing the equipment to the away team and the marines. I should return soon and we can see what the department wants to have for breakfast tomorrow."

"Aye sir," Rina said. "You might also want to pay a visit to the bridge. I know that we've been busy down here, but it wouldn't hurt the department if our head was actually seen occasionally working on the bridge. We don't want other departments to think that we somehow need direct supervision even when the entire department knows that's not the case."

Aeric laughed "I guess I can pay a visit and remind the rest of the bridge crew that our department is still hard at work."

Jen

Will glanced over at Sevryll and noticed a faint greenish bruise on her cheek, "rough training session commander?" He pointed to his face, "looks like you had a bit of a scuffle."

Sevryll and Nathan exchanged glances as he handed her the glass of water. "It's OK commander, he knows the fundamentals of the mission."

Riker lifted his chin and smiled—his blue eyes narrowing to slits as his bearded cheeks pushed upward.  "Your secret is safe with us. We've been on a few of these unsanctioned missions ourselves."

"Nat couldn't hide anything from me anyway. I've always been the stronger empath," joked Deanna.

Everyone but Sevryll shared the laugh...

"There are only a select few who know of this mission and Captain Riker is one of them. The Admiral consulted with him before he made the decision to go after your father. Will's the one who suggested we tag along with the cavalcade of Federation Starships," said Nathan. "The ships were headed to Romulus for peace negotiations...it was the perfect cover for Tiberius."

Sevryll nodded once in understanding and took a sip of water. "Captain, Lieutenant Colonel Mowembe was injured on the holodeck. Aria believes his body rejected the tracking implants. On my way to the Bridge, I contacted Doctor Peterson; he reported that the Colonel is in stable condition, but is in no state to join the mission."

"I'm sorry to hear he's been hurt," said Nathan as he furrowed his brow. "But I believe I have a replacement for him: Lieutenant K'Tan will be going in his stead." Counselor Morgan had given K'Tan his stamp of approval. The man still had a few issues to work through, but Margon didn't believe he would be a liability to the mission.

"I want you to prepare your team for departure. You'll be leaving tomorrow at 0200 hours. Your team will be landing in the Krocton Segment...the early morning should give you the cover you need to find the safe house. I want an update, if possible, every five hours."

"Yes, Captain," replied Sevryll. She took another long sip of cold water, stood, and placed the glass in the replicator.

"I will have the away members gather for a team debriefing as soon as possible."

She nodded politely to Captain Riker and Counselor Troi, "it was an honor to meet you."

Riker stood and tilted his head in a lopsided nod, "likewise commander. Nathan has every confidence in you and your team. And Admiral Talbot is an extremely capable man...I trust them both implicitly. I assume you are aware of the fact that the failure of your mission could affect the outcome of our negotiations. There is no other option but success, Commander."

Sevryll inclined her head in response to Riker's statement.

Standing at his side, Deanna smiled, "good luck, Commander."

As she strode across the Bridge, Sevryll called out to K'Tan. "Lieutenant K'Tan, come with me." They entered the turbolift  together and she turned to face the doors. "Deck 12" she said aloud. She glanced at K'Tan who wore a curious expression, and tapped her com badge.

"Sevryll to Lieutenant James."

Areic was on his way to the bridge when he received her com,"James here."

"Are your preparations complete?"

"Yes commander."

"Assemble the flight crew and Aria in the Aero Group Briefing Room, for an mission debriefing. I'm on my way."

"Understood,"

She tapped her badge again, "Commander Sevryll to Colonel Khev and Admiral Talbot."

David smirked to himself when he heard his wife contact him so formally, "Go ahead Commander, he replied abruptly.

Admiral Talbot tapped his badge and replied, "Talbot here."

"Colonel, meet me in the Aero Group Briefing Room on Deck 12—we're finalizing the mission strategy. Admiral, if you are available?"

"Of course," replied the Admiral.

David nodded to no one in particular as he left his quarters and responded, "on my way."
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

Admiral Talbot had managed a few hours sleep prior to the rendezvous with the Titan.  He had learned long ago that it was important to be able to rest when you could.  With the mission ahead he knew he would need all his strength.  Even though the Admiral was still relatively young, his years of service in Star Fleet and certain old injuries gave him trouble now and then.  There was a particularly nasty bit of business during the borg attack at Wolf 359 when several borg had managed to board his ship.  His back had been injured during a struggle on the bridge when they attempted to take control of his ship.  They managed to stop the borg then and retreat to a safe distance thanks to the quick thinking of his XO who assumed command and for the weeks Talbot was at Star Fleet medical.  He knew without recent medical advances his injury might of caused permanent paralysis and put him at a desk for the rest of his career.  Also, he knew his mother's romulan blood had helped him recuperate faster than the average human could.  Still, it wasn't surprising that his back still ached from time to time, most notably when he became tense prior to a mission.  He attempted to counter this with some exercise and stretching in his quarters.  He was also thinking about one of his aides, Lt. Colonel Mowembe.  He was now in sickbay and off the mission.  Sevryll and Quinn had found a replacement but it was a bit troubling to the Admiral to have to change the team at the last minute like this.  But he trusted their judgment in this matter.

The Admiral moved over to his standard issue Star Fleet carry all.  He always tried to travel as light as possible, but there were certain essentials one always needed.  He dug around inside the bag and found the inner pocket he was looking for.  At first he had been afraid he had left it back in his office at Star Fleet.  However, after feeling around inside the pocket his hand found the small object he had been searching for.  He pulled it out and turned it over a few times in his hands.  During one of Talbot's earliest missions when he was just a green ensign on his first tour of duty he had been exploring a small city on a planet new to the Federation.  Even though the planet had warp drive and space flight they had not ventured out far in the galaxy.  They preferred to use technology to improve their way of life on their home planet.  Being an engineer, he was fascinated by this culture.  It was here Talbot was given the small device he eventually nicknamed, "Betsy."  He had seen a small shopkeeper who had been working on their air recycling system behind their business.  Talbot had offered to help as he recognized the design of the system.  After an hour or so and a few romulan curses later, Talbot had the system up and running again.  The shopkeep was so grateful that he had insisted on giving Talbot a reward.  At first the young ensign had refused, but the man insisted.  So Talbot took the device not wanting to insult the shopkeeper.  He had given him some basic instructions on it's use but told Talbot that the device would help him learn to use it on it's own. 

Basically, "Betsy" was a small multifunction tool about the size of a standard phaser.  This particular tool had several unique abilities.  It was capable of mimicking many other tools simply by scanning a tool near it.  It could store this information for later use.  Talbot remembered all the many off duties hours he had spent in the engineering tool locker "teaching Betsy" many of the common hand tools used aboard a Starship.  The device also had a small holo emitter and could appear as something else of a similar size.  "Betsy" was able to respond to voice commands and had taken on a distinct personality over the years, Talbot thought as he looked over the small device.  It also had the ability to emit a very small EM field which made it almost impossible to detect on standard electronic scans.  The device was obviously extremely useful and handy.  Talbot had attempted over the years with the help of some of the top engineers at Star Fleet to reverse engineer the device but there were certain components that they just couldn't duplicate.  So for now, it was one of a kind.

"Good day, Sirach.  I am assuming a new and exciting mission to save the universe is about to happen for us."  Betsy said in a feminine and slightly sarcastic tone.

"Now Betsy, that might be a bit of an exaggeration.  Besides, I thought you'd welcome the adventure.  You know I never go anywhere without you."  Talbot said in a somewhat placating voice.

"Oh yes.  I'm sure I make Lydia very jealous that I'm the one you take to the far corners of the galaxy on your, adventures."  She said back to him.

"I don't think Lydia is the jealous type Betts.  You know that."  The Admiral said.

"So what is the mission this time, Admiral?  Or am I not privy to that type of hush-hush information."  Betsy said, again with her typical biting tone.  Talbot thought she was becoming a bit neurotic over the years.

"Let's just say that we are off to help an old friend.  As always I hope things go smoothly, but as usual I'd like to have you along just in case."  Talbot said.

"Of course, Sirach.  Any friend of yours and all that."  Betsy said, trying to sound sincere.  Just then the wall comm activated.

"Commander Sevryll to Colonel Khev and Admiral Talbot."  Sevryll's voice said via the ship's comm system.  Talbot had left his comm badge on the desk turned off.  He moved to the comm panel and pressed the control.

"Talbot here."  The Admiral said into the panel.

"Colonel, meet me in the Aero Group Briefing Room on Deck 12—we're finalizing the mission strategy. Admiral, if you are available?"  The vulcan commander said.

"Of course."  Talbot said and signed off.

"She sounds like a real cold fish, Sirach."  Betsy said.

"That is Commander Sevryll to you, Betsy.  And she is a vulcan.  She and her family are friends of mine so I expect you to behave."  Talbot said to the device, still in his hand.

"Of course, Admiral.  Have I ever behaved otherwise?"  Betsy said, with a slight giggle.

"Right."  Admiral Sirach Talbot said as he slipped Betsy under his shirt tunic into a special pocket on his belt he had made for the device.  This is when things started to get interesting he thought as he started to work his back muscles to remove the knot that he felt forming.  After a quick couple of stretches he pulled his tunic down and headed out the door to the briefing.

wraith1701

Standing at the Tactical Station, Lt K'Tan gazed in awe at the image dominating the main viewscreen.  Like a mother goose leading her offspring, the U.S.S. Titan drifted through the void, trailed by a scattering of smaller starships of various classes.  There was an older Excelsior class vessel, its saucer and nacelle configuration reminiscent of the old Constitution class ship made famous by the legendary James Tiberius Kirk.  Trailing the Titan at port was a quick little Saber class escort.  Barely larger than a Defiant class ship, the Saber had a unique appearance- the two warp nacelles were attached directly to the angular, saucer-shaped primary hull.  K'Tan thought that it gave the Saber an organic, almost predatory appearance.  There were also a number of Nebula and Ambassador class ships, but K'Tan felt his attention magnetically drawn back to the striking form of the Titan

Roughly the same size as the Tiberius, the Luna class Titan looked like a strange melding of the Sovereign and Akira class.  She had the Sovereign's elongated, oval shaped primary hull, attached directly to the streamlined secondary hull.  But instead of having her nacelles arranged in the up and back-swept configuration of the Sovereign class starships, they were mounted on down-swept pylons protruding from either side of the secondary hull, much like those of the Tiberius.  Looking at her, K'Tan couldn't help but think of a Terran falcon, poised to swoop down on an unsuspecting field mouse. 

K'Tan paused to reflect on his reaction to the sight of the flotilla before him.  In a way, he felt like a child encountering the wonders of the universe for the first time.  His sessions with Counselor Margon had been quite eyeopening.  Over the course of a rapid-fire barrage of emotionally draining holodeck simulations and discussions, he had begun to reconcile what he knew to be intellectually true with his baser, emotionally driven viewpoints.

His experiences at the Academy and at the different postings he had held since graduation had shown him the folly of his warped opinions about Romulans and their Vulcan cousins, but it was only now that he had begun to take that realization to heart.  He felt overwhelmed with gratitude towards the Counselor for taking the time and effort to help him open his eyes, and to see past the cloud of anger, hate and resentment that had warped his thinking for much of his life. 

K'Tan's attention was drawn by the opening of the Captain's ready room door.  The ship's Vulcan First Officer strode out with a steady, determined gait, and turned briefly to him.

"Lieutenant K'Tan, come with me."

K'Tan immediately logged off of his station and followed her into the turbolift.  As he turned to face the closing doors, K'Tan could see one of the ensigns move to take over his post.

"Deck 12," the First Officer said. She glanced at K'Tan, and he couldn't help but notice a faint, greenish bruise on her cheek.  His eyebrows raised in surprise.  His years of experience in hand to hand combat had given him a more than passing familiarity with the various contusions and bruises associated with a good old-fashioned, knockdown,drag-out fight, and he instantly recognized the mark for what it was. 

He stole a surreptitious glance down at the Commander's hands and noticed a slight, green-hued swelling around her knuckles and the edges of her hands.  Obviously, she had given at least as well as she had received.  K'Tan quickly averted his gaze back to the closed turbolift doors.  Clearly, there was more to the First Officer than just repressed emotions and pacifism, traits he had previously assigned to her and all other Vulcans.  If necessary, she could obviously handle herself in close combat.  As the turbolift sped on to its destination, K'Tan realized that despite the progress he had made with Counselor Margon, he still had much to learn.  He was determined to make the continuing reformation of his views a guiding principle of his life from this day forward.

Jen

Ominous shadows stretched their fingers of darkness towards the forlorn figure that struggled in vain to flee their pursuit. The gaunt visage gasped as a black hand grasped his weary body and squeezed the last drop of resolve from his punished form. His hollow eyes widened and his cracked lips moved to shape words that refused to traverse the void between he and Sareth. Krell reached for his wife's desperate hand, but mere centimeter's prevented their touch. Her efforts to free him were ineffectual and she watched in silent horror as he was dragged away into the bleak horizon. As a last stitch effort, Sareth fought to memorize the surroundings, but darkness cloaked the details and blanketed her sight with swirling black vapor.

Doctor Sareth's eyes opened abruptly and darted about the room searching for familiarity. After a moment, the disoriented sensation subsided and she recognized her surroundings. She was seated on the floor, before the meditation lamp in her quarters.

Unable to contend with the imagery of her husband's suffering, she fell upon the floor and wept. The sobs rolled from the depths of her Vulcan heart and spread throughout her quarters in waves of desperation. Unaccustomed to the raw emotion emanating from within, her heaving body felt as though it was secured to the floor by a magnetic field and she laid there alone, powerless to seize control of her wayward emotions.

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

Joint post by Rico and Jen
---
As they rode the lift down to Deck 12, Sevryll informed K'Tan that he would be joining the away team. There was a sudden light in his eyes that the Vulcan recognized as scarcely contained exhilaration. No thanks to her husband's occupation, she learned long ago how to identify eager warriors by the gleam in their fierce eyes. Sevryll was uncertain whether she herself would have chosen K'Tan for the operation, but Captain Quinn wanted him on the away team and she refused to question his judgment.

Commander Sevryll saw K'Tan steal a glance at her hands clasped before her. She was not accustom to using them in self defense... they were the hands of a scientist not a soldier. But in times like these, one must be prepared for any situation. The commander moved her stiff and sore hands behind her back and shifted her weight. She would have to visit sickbay to have her bruises mended before the mission.

"For obvious reasons, you will require physical alterations," she said as she stared at the door before her. "After the briefing, please report to sickbay for surgery."

K'Tan nodded in response, and from the corner of her eye the commander thought she saw a thin, ironic smile split his stern features.

Admiral Talbot and Colonel Khev strode towards Sevryll, as she and K'Tan entered the Aero Group Briefing room. She introduced the tactical officer and informed them that Captain Quinn had chosen K'tan to go in Mowembe's stead.

"Glad you could join the party, Lieutenant. I appreciate you stepping in for my security aide; it's not going to be an easy mission. I trust we can count on you to follow orders to the letter on this assignment.  I'm pretty certain this mission will require stealth and tact just as much as brute force, Lieutenant,"  the Admiral said as he held out his hand to K'Tan.

"Certainly sir. You can count on me," replied Lieutenant K'Tan, as he took the Admiral's hand in his.  The young officer found himself averting his eyes a bit.  K'Tan hadn't crossed paths with many Admirals in his days with Star Fleet, and certainly never this closely.

David noted the slightest hint of discomfort in K'Tan's posture as the tactical officer shook the Admiral's hand. Perhaps it was merely the Admiral's rank that made him uneasy. Colonel Khev offered his hand in turn to K'Tan as Commander Sevryll moved toward the table and surveyed the faces seated around it.

Aria James nodded to her from across the way. Sevryll had been too busy to think anymore about her "introduction" to her mother and children  in Five Forward the night before. She had to push any negative perceptions aside for the sake of the mission...her father's life depended on it. The fact remained that the girl possessed the necessary field skills and Sevryll could not allow her personal opinion to affect her own duties. The first officer returned the girl's nod and repeated the gesture to Lieutenant James who was seated next to Aria.

Sevryll approached the large display panel set in the wall at the head of the room, then lifted her PADD and quickly keyed a sequence into it. A second later the Starfleet emblem, centered on the display, was replaced by an image of her father. The picture reflected a distinguished looking middle aged Vulcan, dressed in ornate, diplomatic robes. She depressed a key on her PADD and the picture was enlarged, so that his face was clear to all viewing the display.

"Our mission, as many of you already know, is to locate a Vulcan diplomat named 'Krell'. He and Ambassador Spock are working towards Vulcan/Romulan reunification on Romulus. What you may not know, is that he is also my father. This mission is not only important to the future of Vulcan and Romulus, but to me personally." She gestured to Admiral Talbot and he gave them a description of the last message received from the man who was his friend and Sevryll's father.

"I have known Krell for many years. He's not only a skilled diplomat, but he's also a close personal friend. Krell and Ambassador Spock have been working covertly on Romulus for quite some time now. As Commander Sevryll mentioned, their ultimate goal is the reunification of the Vulcan and Romulan people. I also support this movement for both professional and personal reasons. We are not entirely sure what has gone wrong. There are factions who have tried to disrupt this mission from the start, and it's possible they have discovered Krell and have taken him hostage. The recording I received, along with additional information we have obtained," he glanced to Sevryll—her mother's dreams were the additional information, "indicates my friend may be injured. But I have every confidence he is still alive. The plan is fairly simple. We locate Krell, extract him if need be, and provide any further assistance to Ambassador Spock and his operation. I obviously have some experience and knowledge of Romulus, so hopefully that will give us an edge," Talbot said as he lightly rubbed the top of his pointed, right ear and gave the team a slight smile. His comment seemed to put the group at ease and some even chuckled at the Admiral's obvious point.

Sevryll's fingers quickly walked across the PADD and successive computer chirps ensued. Instantly, the image of Krell eased to the right of the screen and an aerial view of a Romulan home filled the opposite side. "This is the safe house where several of Spock and Krell's supporters await us. Among them is our contact; we will meet that individual first in order to determine our next objective."

With a quick combination of additional commands, a roster of personnel scrolled into appearance, replacing both images on the display. The commander announced the roles of various team members during the operation, starting with the fight crews who would escort the Aurora. When she had finished announcing the responsibilities of the escorts, she moved to the next officers on the list.

"Aria James, you will pilot the Aurora. Your task is to provide medical assistance, should it be required."

"Lieutenant James will head up mission operations from the control tower. As I mentioned before, his team will be providing both air and ground support."

"Lieutenant K'Tan, you will assist Colonel Khev in defending the away team." The terran glanced at Colonel Khev and inclined his head in acknowledgment.

Then Sevryll addressed the group as a whole, "the dangers of this operation are obvious, and failure will do more than endanger my father...it will impair the peace negotiations and weaken any prospect of further dialogue. Despite these possibilities, I am confident that we will succeed. My assurance rests in the knowledge of your individual talents and dedication. Because of your presence on this team, I have no doubt we will succeed." As she spoke, Sevryll cut her eyes to Aria then her swept her gaze from one team member to another, before resting it on Colonel Khev; he offered a slight smile in response.

She turned her eyes away and asked, "Lieutenant James, is there anything you would like to add?"

Aeirc sat up and replied, "My team, in conjunction with the engineering and science departments, have put together new equipment for the mission in the form of upgraded weapons and gear that are not standard Federation design. Before departure, my team would like to do a one on one briefing with everyone regarding the use of the new systems."

Sevryll nodded in response and added, "we will departing at 0200 hours, early tomorrow morning—the away team will be landing in the Krocton Segment. We will meet in the Main Level Flight Deck at 0100, for Lieutenant James' equipment demonstrations. Are there any questions?"

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Jen

Several officers lingered about the briefing room after the meeting was adjourned. Colonel Khev had been speaking to Lieutenant James, when he noticed that Commander Sevryll was preparing to leave. He over heard her explanation of the bruises on her hands and face—she was on her way to sickbay to have them treated. The colonel excused himself from the conversation and approached Sevryll. "I'm headed there myself, to check on Mowembe's condition. Would you mind if I joined you?"  She nodded her approval and they left together.

Little was said on the way to sickbay. David could tell his wife was apprehensive about the mission...she looked tired. He left her alone with her thoughts and when it was safe to do so, he occasionally brushed his hand against hers...it was the only consolation he could offer as Colonel Khev.

In sickbay, Sevryll refused treatment from Doctor Lucas and requested Peterson instead. David assumed that she bypassed Lucas because she had a matter to discuss with the CMO. Yet the uneasy tension he felt between his wife and Lucas, was something to note and he watched the gangly officer from Mowembe's bedside with interest.

Sevryll spoke with Peterson regarding the injured marine as he healed her contusions.
"The girl was right...he rejected the implant, but he should be fine in a few days." said Peterson with a smile. When the therapy was finished, Sevryll thanked him and stood. Her eyes briefly met her husband's before she left sickbay. A few minutes later, Colonel Khev returned to his own cabin—0100 would come very soon, and he was in need of rest.

As the door to her quarters swept open, Sevryll was met by her children and her mother. They enjoyed a meal together before Sevryll put the twins to sleep for the evening. The young Vulcan mother sat in a chair in their room, watching as they slept; doing so had always given her a peace that meditation could not provide. In the darkness, she thought upon the request she made of her mother: "if I do not return from Romulus, please care for my children."

Sevryll slept in the chair near M'rynn and N'Vall's bedside until the quiet chime of the computer awoke her at 0000 hours...midnight.  She silently exited her children's room and prepared to meet the team on the Main Flight Deck. After a shower and another change of clothes, she woke Sareth who had spent the night in their quarters.

"I am leaving mother," whispered Sevryll.

Sareth sat up and touched her daughter's hand; it was unusual for her to make such a gesture and the signal spoke what words could not adequately express. Sareth watched as her daughter's silhouetted form backed from the room. The sound of the door opening and closing told the elder woman that her daughter had left, and she sank back into her pillow and stared into the darkness above her.

One by one the members of the operation reported for duty. Sevryll entered the Main Flight Deck and approached the group.

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

X

Joint post by X and Jenn:

They had a good hour before departure, so Lieutenant James had the group move from the Main Flight Deck to his office. There he focused on demonstrating the new equipment with Sevryll, Khev, and Aria.

Aeric entered his office and moved towards the three Starfleet issue supply cases. He opened the cases and turned towards the individuals and prepared to give them the same briefing that their companions would be receieving.

"In an effort to anticipate potential threats, various teams on the Tiberius have put together some new tools for this and future missions. All standard Starfleet equipment has been consolidated into wrist mounted sensor and communications systems. These units also serve as both field and medical tricorders that can be access by the integrated PADD. Communications systems are also independent units that have an effective range of 500,000 kilometers, but that range is extended to around 200 AU by using the subspace transmitters of the tactical belt."

As he explained how the wrist units were also equipped with visual communications systems, he handed each of his guest their equipment to put on. He wasted no time in pulling out the pistol shaped devices next. Aeric couldn't help but notice how the operative's eyes sparkled with anticipation. The weapons were a throwback to a time when phasers looked like weapons. These units were designed for combat and did not have the same utility as other phasers.

"Next up is a redesigned personal sidearm. The pulse phaser pistol was designed to fire pulsed phaser bolts for greater penetration through personal shield systems." Aeric said as he handed each of them a pistol shaped phaser device. David hefted the sidearm before taking aim at the opposite wall to test its balance. Sevryll accepted the the phase pistol and inspected it impassively.

"The weapons were created as a tactic against the Borg, but never field tested against their targets. Instead of allowing them to adapt to the phaser modulation, the pulse phaser pistols fire randomly modulated bolts, but are designed to punch through Borg shielding as opposed to keeping ahead of them. We have modified the design to include a lower yield stun setting that the earlier models were lacking."

"Due to the pulsed nature, these weapons use more power than per firing than other Starfleet issue weapons," Aeric said as he explained the pistols and demonstrated the ejecting power cell. He also showed them how each power cell had a visual sensor to display remaining charge. "As part of the system, we have included two spare power cells that are located in the tactical belt."

"The tactical belt is the combination of a microreactor, temporal shield generator, pattern enhancers, subspace communications, and recharging system for power cells that can be accessed via the wrist mounted PADD device." Aeric explained. "We have also incorporated a microreplicator that can create specific patterns up to 250 grams in weight on a full charge. This allows for field specific tools and even rations, but it takes upwards of twelve hours for the power cell to recharge. It is our hope that these systems provide you with the additional resources to complete your mission safely. Do you have any questions?"

David's attention remained on the phase pistol. "You've eliminated the discharge of nadion particles...good. Their detection could give us away. Can they be set to overload?"

"They can, but I believe that the people that designed it would rather you use the microreplicators that they included to create plasma charges or other explosive devices." Aeric said with a slight smile.

"In addition to this field kit, Aria and I have finished the temporal protection injection," Aeric started. "It will insert a synthetic gene based on our genetic immunity to temporal events into your mitochondria. This will turn your own bioelectrical field into a natural temporal shield. We are only offering this injection to select persons for now. You both are on our short list of candidates for injection along with your children, parents, and the captain. Since you are going to be in areas that are not protected from temporal incursion, I advise you to take the injection as soon as possible, as the injection needs time to integrate into your systems."

As her father spoke, Aria looked at her mother and hoped that she would see the logic in taking the shot. She knew first hand the dangers of temporal change, but it was not something that many people were willing to hear. The only other person that could truly understand the threat had been working hard to protect those he cared about. The gene therapy was only one of the ideas that he had been working on. She also knew of his attempts to use his natural connection with subspace to generate temporal shields, but also knew that he had made little progress in that path. The nanites and the injections were the only viable means to create consistent personal temporal shields.

Sevryll had given no further thought to the offer Aeric made earlier in the day regarding the temporal injections, and she did not know where she stood with regards to his story concerning shifting timelines. What she did know was that she would not allow the experimental treatment to be administered to her children without years of proper testing to prove its effectiveness. David had not spoken to her about his meeting with Aeric, yet it was obvious by his unaffected expression that he was well aware of the lieutenant's "temporal protection injection". Her anxious eyes searched his for support, and found nothing but persuasion. Aria watched as Sevryll rolled her gaze from David to her father.

"As you have indicated lieutenant, the belt includes a temporal shield generator...it will have to suffice. As for my children, you have had little time to develop and assess this treatment. I will not submit them to untested, superfluous remedies," she replied. Sevryll forced her voice into submission as she smoothly added, "the equipment modifications are impressive and I appreciate your team's diligence."

"You are welcome Commander," Aeric said. "As for the injection, what you decide is your choice. I can only provide the solution. Each person involved will have to make the choice of receiving it as an inoculation or hope we can correct a timeline change and bring them back."

"The ship is protected from these 'temporal incursions' is it not?" asked the commander evenly.

The proof of danger that Aeric had provided David was enough for him to make the decision to inoculate his wife and children whether she wanted it or not. In his mind, the threat far outweighed the risk. The Section 31 operative exchanged glances with Lieutenant James; he could only hope the synthetic gene would not cause any harm.

"The ship is protected by a temporal field that is generated by onboard systems," Aria said to her mother. "We have put the technology into place, but it is a system that requires power to operate. That means it is not as effective as a biological system. If we are planetside and hit by a temporal wave, the personal systems will offer protection, if they are worn and active. The biological solution is the most efficient in terms of protection and duration."

Aeric nodded to his daughter's words. "Your children will be protected while on the Tiberius, but I can't say that you will be as protected because you will be relying on external equipment. I trust the technology to work, but given the nature of your mission commander, do you believe that you will be able to constantly wear your temporal shield system? Each innoculation has been tailored to the specific genes of those recieving the injection. I spent all the time I had to make sure that the vulcan strain would work for any member of your family. I also took the liberty of creating a strain that would work for the colonel after a detailed scan was done on the Aurora."

"Commander," Aria started again. She didn't attempt to supress her emotions because it would not have mattered. All she wanted to do was give the commander additional information to make an informed decision. "I know it is a difficult decision and there is no pressure. I would suggest that you consider the results of not taking the injection and taking the injection. If the Aurora does detect an approaching event, I will do my best to get the team protected within the ship, but it would be more efficient if we could protect as many people as we can. So far, my father has only be able to manufacture the strains that will help vulcanoids and humans. If fact, I would recommend that anyone on the teams that falls into those groups receive the injection."

"If you have any doubts as to how it will effect the children, I will submit myself to the injection," said David.

"That will prove nothing, they are not fully Terran or Vulcan—it would effect them differently," replied Sevryll. "I will accept the injection, but do not administer the gene to the children. They will remain aboard Tiberius; if there truly is a threat, the shields will protect them. When I am certain the gene is harmless, I will allow the children to be inoculated, but not until it has been proven safe," said the commander evenly.

"I will administer the shots aboard the Aurora, but we must prepare for depature." Aria said. "I can hear that the ships are ready to go."

wraith1701

Feeling self-conscious of his new, surgically altered appearance, K'Tan tried to avoid the glances of the other crewmen as he made his way to the main flight deck.  As he entered the expansive, brightly lit bay, he spied Lt. James, Commander Sevryll, and the tall Romulan bodyguard named Khev step into the Aero Group Commander's office. 

K'Tan absently rubbed his now hairless chin.  As part of the surgical alterations he had received for the mission, not only had his goatee been shaved off, but his thick mane of black hair had been shorn down to mimic the short, pageboy style worn by the majority of Romulans.  A stray air-current whispered against the back of K'Tan's neck, and the unfamiliar sensation caused the hairs on his arms to stand on end.  Repressing a shudder, he couldn't help but think of how naked he felt without his hair.

He glanced down at his hands.  Like all of his skin, their normal, deep-brown shade had been lightened to a pale, bronze color, which had an almost greenish tint to it.  While he found the color intriguing, he fervently hoped that the med techs would be able to fully restore his former appearance.

All in all, the changes were quite a lot to wrap his mind around.     The only concession the med techs had made was to allow him to keep the scar traversing the left side of his face, and that was only after he had forcefully explained that he regarded it as a badge of honor, and would sooner pluck out an eye than have it removed. 

He tried not to think about what had been done to his ears.

K'Tan glanced at a large chrono-display on the far wall of the hanger.  He still had 15 minutes until the scheduled 0100 equipment briefing, but he was eager to get started.  He walked to the Lieutenant's office, and pressed the annunciation key.  "Come in," replied a voice as the door whisked open.  K'Tan stepped inside to see James, Aria, Sevryll, and Khev looking over an eclectic and decidedly lethal looking array of weapons.  Despite the sessions with Counselor Margon, he couldn't help but feel a bit odd to see the Romulan bodyguard handling what was obviously cutting-edge starfleet technology.

Their was a moment of uncomfortable silence, and K'Tan thought that he detected a furtive glance pass between the First Officer and the Admiral's  bodyguard.  He got the distinct impression that he was walking in on a private conversation.

"I apologize for the intrusion," he said awkwardly, stroking his now absent goatee.  "I thought that I might get a head start on familiarizing myself with our equipment.  One can never be too prepared."

Jen

From the pilot's chair, Aria spoke aloud, "Flight control, please verify clearance for Aurora NX-72675."

Areic's voice replied immediately, "NX-72675, you're cleared for departure.... safe travels."

Commander Sevryll sat in a secondary seat positioned behind the ship's holographic representation, Aurora, and her pilot Aria James. The vulcan woman watched as the containment field dropped and the runabout passed through the shuttlebay doors at the rear of the ship. Disguised as Romulan merchant ships, the Aurora and her escorts slipped across the neutral zone, undetected.

As the distance between Tiberius and Aurora slowly increased, Captain Quinn's steady voice came over the comm. "I'm not going to wish you luck, because you won't be needing it. I have no doubt that you will exceed in your actions.... Tiberius will be waiting your safe return—Quinn out."

A few short hours later the escort vessels parted ways, and the Aurora sank into the atmosphere to skim the billowing clouds of Romulus. Aurora broke the silence as she spoke the appropriate clearance code to the Romulan Planetary Sentries. The away team breathed a collective sigh of relief when the ship was approved for entry.

As the runabout flew low over the darkened Apnex Sea, Sevryll observed the reflection of moonlight on a thousand waves below. The distant lights of Krocton soon grew to fill the Aurora's bridge and the small vessel banked as it took the flight path of a multitude of other craft, criss-crossing the handsome city that stretched before them. A moment later, she set down lightly on a private landing pad at the south end of the municipality.

In the early morning darkness, the Aurora's crew was met by individuals waiting at the end of the pad. Admiral Talbot acted as the group's spokes person as he greeted the small contingent. To Sevryll's surprise, he embraced one of the individuals who met them. After a moment, the old woman turned towards the away team, "come," she said in a husky voice, as she lead the admiral by the hand towards the near by home.

The individuals who accompanied the old woman watched Sevryll and Aria with curiosity. Apparently, their Romulan hosts were unaccustomed to non-Romulan guests. Sevryll nodded respectfully as she met their inquisitive eyes. Talbot entered the home first, followed by Sevryll, Aria, Khev and K'Tan. As they passed through the main entryway, the Commander recognized the face of a Vulcan waiting inside... Ambassador Spock. When the door closed behind them, Sevryll bowed in Vulcan courtesy and returned his split fingered gesture, along with Aria and Admiral Talbot. 

AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Rico

"Ambassador Spock.  It's good to see you again.  I have to admit I'm a bit surprised to find you here."  Admiral Talbot said as he lowered his hand after greeting Spock with the traditional Vulcan salute.

"It is agreeable to see you again as well, Admiral.  I have missed our chess games.  Your mother has been kind enough to offer myself and others shelter and protection during these uncertain times."  Ambassador Spock said, raising an eyebrow as he finished speaking.

"Ah, yes.  I can see introductions are in order.  Let me present my away team.  Commander Sevryll, XO of the Tiberius. My personal "bodyguard" Colonel Khev.  Lt. K'Tan also from the Tiberius.  And our very skilled pilot, Aria James, ah, a civilian.  Everyone, if you didn't know already, this is Ambassador Spock and my mother, Caithlin Dar Talbot."  The Admiral said, giving his mother a slight smile and nod as he introduced her.  The Romulan woman had long hair that was still mainly dark in color but with strands of silver hair weaving through it.  She appeared to be of Romulan middle age but carried herself with grace and a quickness that was in opposition to her years.  She was fairly small of stature but had a presence that seemed to radiate a quiet power.  No doubt from her many years as a Romulan ambassador herself to various Federation worlds.

"Ambassador Spock.  Mrs. Talbot.  It is an honor to meet both of you."  Commander Sevryll said, giving a slight bow of her head to the tall Vulcan ambassador and small, Romulan woman.

"Sirach, will tell you that I'm not one for titles and ceremony.  Please, call me Caithlin.  Welcome to my home to you and your group."  The Romulan woman said with a warm smile for them all.

"It is an honor for me as well.  Peace and long life."  Colonel Khev said, raising his hand also in the Vulcan hand salute.  He had been around vulcans long enough to know the drill.  K'Tan also greeted the larger than life figures he was presented with as did Aria.  She seemed particularly intrigued by the Admiral's mother, never having met someone as old as she was before.  Mrs. Talbot seemed to pick up on this and moved to take Aria's hand.

"Now, how did a civilian end up going off on one of my Sirach's missions?  Come everyone and sit at the table.  I have tea and some small treats prepared for you.  There is much to discuss."  Mrs. Talbot said as she lead Aria followed by the others to a small kitchen and dining area.  There was a large round table around which everyone had a seat except Colonel Khev.

"Admiral, with your permission I'd like to monitor the perimeter.  Make sure we weren't followed here, sir."  Khev said briskly to the Admiral.

"Certainly Colonel.  A wise precaution.  But take a cup of my mother's tea with you or I'll never hear the end of it."  The Admiral said handing the Colonel a cup of the warm, aromatic blend.  He took the cup and made his way outside.

"Aria, dear.  Could you pass these around to my guests.  And make sure they each take at least one.  Even you, Spock.  And don't take no for an answer."  Talbot's mother said as she handed the young woman a plate of small cakes and cookies.

"Admiral, I surmise you are here in response to Krell's message.  Several weeks ago the members of the unification effort started to suspect we had spies within our group.  As you no doubt know, there are several factions on Romulus currently.  The government is in disarray and this has only made the situation worse.  One faction in particular wants to eliminate any possibility of unification between Romulus and Vulcan.  And they do not seem to care how they accomplish this.  Krell and two others were discovered and taken away.  We have been trying to pinpoint their exact location but have not discovered it yet.  We have however, discovered the Romulan who betrayed us.  A man name Torvane.  We have him nearby in another safe house.  So far he has not provided us with Krell's location."  Ambassador Spock said before taking a small sip of the tea.  Aria placed the plate of treats in front of the Ambassador and waited patiently until he selected a small cookie.

"Ambassador Spock.  I am sure you aware that Krell is my father.  We have reason to believe my father may not be well or being coerced for information.  Do you have a better idea of his present condition from this, Torvane person?"  Sevryll said, trying hard to keep her emotions in check.  The news of her father until now had been somewhat not real.  But hearing these facts from Ambassador Spock had made them all too real to the young Vulcan woman.

"Your father is alive Commander.  That is the extent of our knowledge.  I regret we do not have more information at this time."  Spock said, with a small tinge of apology in his tone.  He felt responsible for what had happened and would do everything he could to fix the situation his friend had been put into.

"Well, then Ambassador.  I think it's time we all meet this Torvane.  I think we might persuade him to tell us a bit more.  Isn't that right Lieutenant K'Tan?"  The Admiral said looking at the surgically altered officer.

"Yes, sir.  It would be a pleas,....  I mean yes, Admiral."  K'Tan said, catching himself.  He had to remember that not all Romulans were enemies.  But he did have to admit it wouldn't bother him to get one to be more cooperative.

"Very well Admiral.  I shall escort you there personally.  We shall leave in one standard hour.  If you and your team will excuse me Admiral.  I would like to meditate and clear my thoughts."  Spock said as he rose and excused himself.  He went into a small room off the kitchen area and shut the door.

"Well, opinions people."  The Admiral said.

"The cookies are quite good Admiral."  Aria said.  This elicited a chuckle from the Admiral.

"I like her, Sirach.  At least someone appreciates real cooking still and not just replicated food."  Talbot's mother said giving Aria a small squeeze on her arm.

"Thank you mother.  Now, opinions on the mission and information we have people."  Talbot said, turning to the away team.

Geekyfanboy

Deanna, Will and Nathan walked toward the transporter room. As they got to the door Deanna turned to Will "I'm going to stay here for a while, catch up with Nat" Will nodded, shook Nathan's hand and entered the transporter room. Deanna link arms with Nathan and they strolled down the corridor on there way to Quinn's quarters.  "I think I'm in the mood for some double chocolate ice cream.. care to join me" Nathan said with a smile. Deanna laughed "Oh twist my arm". Nathan walked over to the replicator and made his request, seconds later there were two large bowls of double chocolate ice cream sitting there. Nathan picked them up walked over to Deanna who was sitting at the dining table. He placed a bowl in front of her and took the seat across from her.  They both clinked their spoons together and started to enjoy the ice cream. There was a moment of silence when all you could hear were the scrapping of spoons against the bowl. Deanna looked up at Quinn. " So you want to talk about it? " Quinn was about to put a spoon full of ice cream into his mouth " Talk about what? " he asked sheepishly. "Nat I may not be as telepathic as you but I do know something is wrong. " Quinn took a deep breath and put down his spoon "I am the Captain of a Federation Starship. This has been my dream for as long as I can remember,." Deanna grabbed Nathan's hand on the table. "I know, the family is so proud of you" Nathan gave her hand a squeeze, " But why do I feel like this really isn't my ship, that this crew isn't my crew. " Deanna got up and took the seat next to Nathan. "This was Captain Bell's ship and crew. You were his first officer. It is always hard to take over command of a ship and crew especially under the circumstance of which Captain Bell's disappearance.  This crew respected you as their First Officer and they will respect you as their Captain." Quinn looked into Deanna's dark brown eyes. " I know but..." Deanna cut across him " This is your ship Nathan, your crew. You are their strength, their leader.....their Captain." Nathan bent over and gave Deanna a kiss on the cheek, "Thank you". They continued to chat about marriage, family and Starfleet. Two hours had passed and Deanna had to get back to her ship before the Tiberius departed for their mission.

Several hours had passed since Admiral Talbot shuttle departed the Tiberius. Quinn knew there would be no way of communicating with the away team. The Tiberius was heading back to the caravan of ships in the neutral zone.

"Captain Quinn to the bridge" Lt. Tuckers voice could be heard over the comm.

"I'll be right there" Quinn stood and exited his ready room.

"Sir we are detecting a ship on an intercept course." Said Lt. Tucker with concern in his voice.

Quinn sat in the Captain's chair "Can you identify the ship?"

Ensign Starstriker ran his fingers over his console. As he looked up, Quinn could see panic in his face "It's Romulan sir"

Jen

"Now, opinions on the mission, people."  Talbot said, turning to the away team.

Sevryll quickly responded, "We can expect to learn very little from the Romulan operative through torture, sir. It is likely he would die, rather than betray his family and the Empire."

K'Tan's dark brown eyes flashed, yet his voice maintained a note of decorum as he replied, "then he will have the honor of dying for his cause."

Something inside of the commander wanted to kill the Romulan betrayer herself, but she knew all hopes of finding her father would die with him. Sevryll pushed a single brow upward as she regarded K'Tan curiously. "But his death will permit him an honor he does not deserve, and for that reason I suggest we refrain from such a tactic."

Talbot grumbled, "She's right. What do you suggest we do instead?"

Turning her gaze from K'Tan to the Admiral she replied pensively, "I may be able to obtain the information we seek through a meld."

Sevryll did not perform melds with random individuals—the technique was deeply personal and never casually executed. Aside from that, her people considered forced melds to be taboo. Yet her father's life depended upon the information locked within the captive's mind.
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

wraith1701

K'Tan found himself admiring Commander Sevryll's levelheadedness and commitment to the mission.

I guess there's something to be said for Vulcan emotional discipline, he thought to himself.

K'Tan knew that despite being undemonstrative, Vulcans placed a lot of value on family ties.  And here was an officer who's father was most likely in mortal danger, yet she didn't let thoughts of revenge cloud her judgement. 

Not only that; she was considering linking minds with one of the pe'taq responsible for her father's disappearance. 

While his knowledge of Vulcan mysticism was limited, K'Tan knew that this was not something that Vulcan's took lightly.  If the Commander was determined to subject herself to a mind-meld to extract information from the traitor, then K'Tan would do whatever he could to facilitate the procedure.

He gently cleared his throat to attract the Admiral and Commander's attention.  "I have an idea," he said as they turned to face him.

"During my first year at the academy, I had a Denobulan roomate who had a strange fascination with late 20th century Earth law-enforcement entertainment programs.  In many of the programs, the law-enforcement officials would use a certain strategy to coerce criminals into divulging important information.  It was called 'good top/bad top', or something like that.  The strategy involved one official taking an overly threatening and aggressive stance with the criminal, in an effort to 'soften them up'.  After being subjected to this treatment, the criminal would then be interrogated by another official using a decidedly milder approach."

"Perhaps we can use a similar strategy here.  I could spend some time 'aggressively questioning' the traitor; being careful not to violate any of the guidelines set out in the Khitomer Accords, of course.  Faced with the prospect of me intensifying my interrogation style, the traitor might be more receptive to the idea of a mind-meld."

Hell; when I get done with him, he'll be begging for a mind-meld, K'Tan thought to himself, the hint of a grin forming on his face.