Moonlight

Started by Darth Gaos, January 16, 2008, 12:58:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Man - this would be great news!  And in honor of this new ray of hope...

Moonlight for Dummies

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DYsWDOnczI

Darth Gaos

What a complete load of crap.  The frakkin show WON THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD!!! What the heck.  CBS can kiss my still winter white butt.  First Jericho now Moonlight......bye CBS, nice knowing ya.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Rico

Quote from: Darth Gaos on May 15, 2008, 12:21:38 PM
What a complete load of crap.  The frakkin show WON THE PEOPLE'S CHOICE AWARD!!! What the heck.  CBS can kiss my still winter white butt.  First Jericho now Moonlight......bye CBS, nice knowing ya.

Well said!

Darth Gaos

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on May 13, 2008, 04:14:03 PM
... It seems execs at CBS were not happy with a 13 percent drop in viewers after "Ghost Whisperer" aired. While "Moonlight" consistently won the hour in ratings over all the shows that air on other networks at 9 p.m. on Fridays, it just couldn't maintain the numbers that lead-in show "Ghost Whisperer" boasts....

So let me get this straight.....87 out every 100 people that watched Ghost Whisperer watched Moonlight and that is not good enough?!? CBS retained almost 90% of its viewers and it consistently won the Friday 9pm time slot and that is not good enough???  Am I missing something math-wise with this or is it as ridiculous as it sounds to me?  CBS can bite me.

Geekyfanboy

Not that I'm defending CBS or anything but there is alot of stuff that goes on behind the scenes that can also effect a show's renewal. Moonlight has gone through several Executive producers.. that's never a good sign. Also I have not seen this series but production costs can also play a factor.

Quote from: Darth Gaos on May 15, 2008, 01:35:19 PM
Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on May 13, 2008, 04:14:03 PM
... It seems execs at CBS were not happy with a 13 percent drop in viewers after "Ghost Whisperer" aired. While "Moonlight" consistently won the hour in ratings over all the shows that air on other networks at 9 p.m. on Fridays, it just couldn't maintain the numbers that lead-in show "Ghost Whisperer" boasts....

So let me get this straight.....87 out every 100 people that watched Ghost Whisperer watched Moonlight and that is not good enough?!? CBS retained almost 90% of its viewers and it consistently won the Friday 9pm time slot and that is not good enough???  Am I missing something math-wise with this or is it as ridiculous as it sounds to me?  CBS can bite me.

lostrekkie

I used to watch a TON of shows on CBS, but over the past three years, I have gone from watching 75% of their shows to just watching Jericho, Moonlight, and How I Met Your Mother. Now all I watch in How I Met Your Mother. And there is talk that they might cancel that...
"The quality of a society can be seen through the quality of its art."

Come visit my Star Trek fan fiction series at http://stmirrorwars.tripod.com

Darth Gaos

Yeah Kenny deep down I know that but I'm still bitter.  Good shows like Moonlight get cancelled for, what on the surface seems like a weak reason, but "American Gladiators" came back!!!  It just seems wrong.  Plus most people don't have the advantage that we do of knowing someone like you, inside the industry.  While you may not be able to provide specifics all the time you are VERY knowledgable of the "inside baseball" stuff and how the industry works.  Again most people will read that story and get the perception that the show was cancelled for reasons that would make other shows happy...or so it would seem.

Geekyfanboy

You are 100% correct about that.. people complain and complain about reality shows but they don't understand that one episode of a TV series like Moonlight cost over 1 million an episode. Reality TV shows cost $500,000 for the entire season of episodes. The TV industry is like any other business.. they are in it to make money.. not entertain the masses... it's sad but true.

Rico

There are many factors.  But, honestly I would be surprised if "Moonlight" costs $1 million or more per episode.  The effects are minimal, the cast is new, it's a pretty simple series to make.

But the real story is can they get the money back?  It really doesn't matter how much it costs if they end up making a good profit.  One reason it's actually better to keep a fairly solid ratings show on and build an audience and do more episodes.  Single season shows rarely make much money in syndication.  I would also argue that DVD sales, digital distribution are other sources of income for non-reality shows.  I don't really see people buying season DVD sets of even popular reality shows like "American Idol."

But in any case, I'm still hoping someone will pick the series up for a second season.

X

Reports are that CW has passed on the show. It's off my TIVO so that pretty much means that I think it's dead.

Darth Gaos

I wish I could write...I would so love to be able to revisit the world in print by knowcking out some novels.

Rico

Curse you CBS!  Here's the last scene.  This show deserves to continue....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcXQLOIHppM

Geekyfanboy

I saw this today when I drove by Warner Brothers this afternoon.. I did my part and honked my horn :)

Moonlight Fans To Rally

Fans of CBS' canceled vampire drama Moonlight will convene in Los Angeles over Memorial Day weekend to rally in support of the show at Warner Brothers studios in Burbank, Calif. The rally is scheduled for 2 p.m. PT on May 23 at the corner of North Pass and West Olive avenues. The studio is the home of Silver Pictures, which produces the series with Warner.

Moonlight fans have also sponsored an ad to run in both The Hollywood Reporter on May 21 and in Variety on May 22 to thank the cast and crew for creating the show and to demonstrate to potential networks the depth of the fans' loyalty to the series.

Fans are hoping another TV network will pick up the series from CBS.

Fans will be in town for MoonlightCon, the first fan convention for the series.

lostrekkie

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on May 23, 2008, 06:18:48 PM

Fans will be in town for MoonlightCon, the first fan convention for the series.

I seem to remember a another show that got a lot of people at its convention that showed interest was still there... I wonder what it was...
"The quality of a society can be seen through the quality of its art."

Come visit my Star Trek fan fiction series at http://stmirrorwars.tripod.com

Darth Gaos

FINALLY watched the season/series finale of Moonlight last night.  And once again let me express my utter and complete displeasure at CBS for cancelling this show.  The only solace I take from this is that they did not end the series with a huge cliffhanger **cough**SURFACE**cough**.  I would have liked to see the "list" storyline play out a bit but at least they left Beth and Mick on a good note.

Anyway, I liked the series finale but reaaly wish it wasn't the SERIES finale.

dang you eye network.