Podcast # 158

Started by Rico, January 20, 2008, 09:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

Just put up podcast # 158.  Cover quite a few things this weekend.  The main topic covers Gene Roddenberry's other SF entertainment beyond Trek.  Focusing on 3 TV movies from the mid 1970's.  Enjoy!

http://www.treksinscifi.com/podcasts/TreksInSciFi_158_Genes_Pilots.mp3

billybob476

Sounds like it's going to be a fun one! I was wondering, how much editing time do you generally need to put into each show? Seems like it's gotten to be pretty minimal.

Rico

Usually the podcast breaks down this way.....

1-2 hours prep time
1-2 hours recording time
30 minutes editing
2+ hours uploading, updating web site, podcast notes, pictures, etc.

davekill

Hey Rico, Thanks for the overview of Gene Roddenberry's other sci-fi projects.
I was wondering if Gene was personally motivated to use a man from our time in a strange new future, or was it due to the success of the Planet of the Apes franchise during the '70s?
With the network suits it's has always been "monkey see, monkey do" - Pun intended.

Rico

Actually no.  Planet of the Apes came out right after the first of these pilots.  But that concept of a man out of time in the future had been around for a long time.  Buck Rogers being a big example of it.

jedijeff

Great Podcast Rico, enjoyed it a lot. Was not familar with these before you did the podcast, but will have to check them out, will watch the one you have in the Sci-Fi Theater.

Rico

Cool.  Glad you enjoyed it Jeff.  Look for the other movies up during the next week or so to watch.

KingIsaacLinksr

Great podcast as always Rico!  I'm afraid I didn't know any of those movies. :(  But hey, now I do!  Although, I did hear of them so I'm not unfamiliar.

King
A Paladin Without A Crusade Blog... www.kingisaaclinksr.wordpress.com
My Review of Treks In Sci-Fi Podcast: http://wp.me/pQq2J-zs
Let's Play: Videogames YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/kingisaaclinksr

davekill

Had to watch Genesis II
The underground turbo tube idea is awesome. I saw an article in "Wired" magazine for an underwater transatlantic version.
Majel had a small part and I had forgotten how pretty Mariette Hartley was and still is.
First saw her playing Zerabeth in TOS "All Our Yesterdays"  :wub

Jen

Once again, great episode Rico. :) I have never heard of any of these pilots... I have to find them!
Who was interviewing with J.J. Abrams? I found their tongue and cheek stabs at Star Trek fans a little insulting.
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

moyer777

I really enjoyed Genesis II.  It reminded me of planet of the Apes the series. 

Thanks for putting it in the theater Rico.

Oh, and I'm half way through the podcast, great so far!

RLM

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Quote from: Jen on January 21, 2008, 07:04:38 PM
Once again, great episode Rico. :) I have never heard of any of these pilots... I have to find them!
Who was interviewing with J.J. Abrams? I found their tongue and cheek stabs at Star Trek fans a little insulting.

That was Adam Corolla interviewing JJ.  He used to be on that show called "The Man Show" with Jimmy Kimmel.  I'm not a big fan of either of them but they are typical comedians who love to pick on geeks.  They really pissed off Star Wars fans when they tried to cut in line at one of those line ups when "The Phantom Menace" was coming out.  I guess it doesn't bother me much anymore, I've heard it all for a very long time.

The funny thing is if you look at technology, computers, popular TV and movies - everything just about is geek oriented these days.  I think now they are just jealous they didn't join us sooner.  Because geeks rule the Earth now!  ;)

billybob476

Yup, we had to suffer a bit in high school but now we rule the earth!

wraith1701

Great podcast, Rico; it was nice to hear about some shows that I haven't seen before.  I'm going to try and track down "The Questor Tapes"; sounds pretty cool.  :)

doc

Forgot about these movies until you mentioned them Rico, but i do remember watching them. Wasn't the one guy a bad robot on 'The Six Million Dollar Man'? ...and lastly i am with Jen, never like a cheap shot at the Shat (if he wasn't 76 he would lay down a whooping...probably could take Adam C. now actually).