Sideshow 12" Gen. Kenobi Armored Figure

Started by Dan M, February 18, 2008, 01:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan M

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/behindtheshow/?page_id=4342

Wow!  I'm blown away by this announcement.  I couldn't have asked for anything better.

jedijeff

This looks fantastic, defintely on my list for 2008 to get.

Rico

Very nice.  Preorders up this Friday too!  Cool!!

Rico

Preorders today (2/22) at 1pm EST (10 am PST).

Rico

This one is now $90!  Whoa!!  And $97 with shipping for a 12" action figure.  I preordered but may cancel.  These things are getting to cost too much!  Much rather have a nice Gentle Giant statue for the money.

Rico

Exclusive edition sold out now - very fast.  In like 10 minutes.  Hmmm, maybe I'll eBay mine.   ;)

jedijeff

I preordered this as well, but just the regular version. I might cancel it if I can find it from an etailer, as they usually charge less for shipping then Sideshow for me to Canada. But at least I got one on pre order for now

Dan M

I understand the sticker shock, Rico, but compared to 12" licensed figures from Medicom, Hot Toys, etc, getting this for under $100 is a steal.

I got mine, but I may cancel (or flip on eBay) if I can find a better deal from an etailer.

Rico

Quote from: pickard on February 22, 2008, 01:14:18 PM
I understand the sticker shock, Rico, but compared to 12" licensed figures from Medicom, Hot Toys, etc, getting this for under $100 is a steal.

I got mine, but I may cancel (or flip on eBay) if I can find a better deal from an etailer.

Still think it's too high.  And I'm aware of those other companies and their pricing (one reason I don't buy their stuff).  I'm just having a little problem with the rapid increase in price of this line.  Again, we are still talking a 12" action figure for $100!  I wasn't real happy when these were even at $60.

Dan M

I understand completely.  The price jump across all their 12" lines, even with the new improved bodies, is a bit much.

I'm definitely going to limit my future purchases, but there was no way I was missing out on General Kenobi.

wraith1701

On the last SWAN, Artie mentioned that an up-and-coming company (I can't remember what it is called) is producing 12 to 18 inch figures comparable to the Sideshow Premium Format figures.  Unfortunately, they weren't allowed to take pictures, but Arnie raved that the things looked great, and were going to retail for considerably less than the Sideshow figures. 

Any other SWAN listeners remember the name of the company?

Dan M

Diamond Select.

And I doubt they'll be comparable to Sideshow's Premium Format figures, but time will tell.

Geekyfanboy

Diamond Select Toys make some great action figures with great likeness.. so I have high hopes for there quarter scale figures for Star Trek, Star Wars and Indy.

Rico

Quote from: pickard on February 22, 2008, 04:06:07 PM
Diamond Select.

And I doubt they'll be comparable to Sideshow's Premium Format figures, but time will tell.

Well, if you listen to Star Wars Action News Arnie was extremely impressed by what he saw.  Of course, anything can happen before we see the final products.  I find it weird that both Sideshow and Diamond select both would be making large premium format Star Wars figures.

jedijeff

Yes, it is weird that another company is doing basically the same type of figure. These licenses seem very confusing at times, on what companies can and cannot do. They always mention how Lego cannot release mini figs on their own as that infringes on Hasbro agreement. But these 1/4 scale figures from Diamond seem to be essentially the same product, but at a lower price point and Quality??? . I had been thinking about getting a premium format Sideshow, but the one I was thinking about has been announced as coming out from Diamond as well, so now I think I will wait. So that is not good business for Sideshow, and weird Lucasfilm would allow that.
Since Diamond is a Distributor, I can't see them selling these through Sideshow like the RAH figures are.