Isaac Hayes Dies

Started by Geekyfanboy, August 10, 2008, 09:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Geekyfanboy

Remembering Isaac Hayes

The man behind the voice of Chef on "South Park" and the Oscar-winning song "Theme From Shaft", Issac Hayes has passed away in Memphis according to reports from the Associated Press. Hayes was 65.

The singer/songwriter was found by a family member near a treadmill earlier today and taken to Memphis' Baptist East Hospital where he was pronounced dead.   The cause of death has not been made available at the time of this report.

Hayes was a pioneer in the music industry, setting the stage for disco and rapping before it become a musical art form.  With his distinctive voice and look, Hayes was a trend-setter in music and had a long career.

He is also well-known for his work as the voice of Chef on the hit animated series "South Park."  Hayes worked on the show for its first several season before splitting with the show in 2006 after an episode mocked his Scientology religion.

"There is a place in this world for satire," he said. "but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry toward religious beliefs of others begins."

Co-creator creators Matt Stone responded that Hayes "has no problem — and he's cashed plenty of checks — with our show making fun of Christians." A subsequent episode of the show seemingly killed off the Chef character.

In his musical career, Hayes won multiple Grammy awards and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

Hayes was born in 1942 in a tin shack in Covington, Tenn., about 40 miles north of Memphis. He was raised by his maternal grandparents after his mother died and his father took off when he was 1. The family moved to Memphis when he was 6.

Hayes wanted to be a doctor, but got redirected when he won a talent contest in ninth grade by singing Nat King Cole's Looking Back.

Meds

Blimey what a week. First Berbnie Mac and Issac. sad news.

Darth Gaos

Another bit od sad news...Isaac Hayes, the man who wrote, sang and subsequently won the Oscar for the song "Shaft" passed away lastnight/this morning at the age of 65.  I am sure you can find the story if you want but I was saddened by this.  Shaft is one of the greatest movie theme songs of all time IMO.  Plus he was derned funny as Chef on South Park.  RIP Mr Chocolate Salty Balls.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?

Rico

Yep - sad news.  It was posted earlier by Kenny.  I'll merge the threads.

Darth Gaos

Whoops....started a thread in "Conversations" about this.  My apologies...I went to that board and saw the thread on Bernie Mac and posted there before reading this one.....get rid mine or merge as y'all see fit.
I think it was Socrates who spoke the immortal words:  I drank WHAT?