New BBC show "Merlin"

Started by Trekkygeek, August 30, 2008, 02:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trekkygeek

This is going to be the BBC's latest family series. I reckon they'll put it on around saturday early evening, the same time Doctor Who airs. Looks promising.
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

M-5

It looks like it's going to be a pretty good show.  I hope BBC America will show it soon.

Geekyfanboy

Wow.. I love the whole King Arthur/Merlin story.. this is going to rock.. when does it premiere in the UK?

ElfManDan

That looks really good, not surprising, considering in my opinion most of the best TV shows are made by the BBC. Hope I can get my hands on it when it released.

Trekkygeek

Quote from: StarTrekFanatic5 on August 30, 2008, 08:12:32 PM
Wow.. I love the whole King Arthur/Merlin story.. this is going to rock.. when does it premiere in the UK?

Well, when they show trailers like this and add "coming Soon" it usually airs in around three weeks so I'm thinking mid September. Will keep you posted.
You could learn something from Mr Spock Doctor..... Stop thinking with your glands"

Rico

Definitely be watching!  Love this kind of thing!

Trekkygeek

Merlin airs over here on Saturday 20th September. No details on time yet, but I'm reckoning the Doctor Who slot as predicted, saturday tea-time

celestialteapot

Looks fun :) unfortunately I'm working at the time it's on so will either have to wait for the DVD or catch up on the terrible iPlayer.
This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Trekkygeek

You don't like iPlayer?

I only used it once. It was for "Casualty", the really bad BBC attempt at E.R. for Sarah. From the feedback she seemed quite pleased with it. Why is it so bad?

celestialteapot

Quote from: Trekkygeek on September 19, 2008, 02:24:14 PM
You don't like iPlayer?

I only used it once. It was for "Casualty", the really bad BBC attempt at E.R. for Sarah. From the feedback she seemed quite pleased with it. Why is it so bad?

The other channels not only offer their back catalogue for download for free but give you 30 days catch up, whereas the iPlayer gives you 7 days. If it was 30 days catch up then I could forgive their annoying website.
This question has baffled mankind for all eternity... why don't sheep shrink in the rain?

Trekkygeek

Quote from: celestialteapot on September 19, 2008, 03:51:32 PM
Quote from: Trekkygeek on September 19, 2008, 02:24:14 PM
You don't like iPlayer?

The other channels not only offer their back catalogue for download for free but give you 30 days catch up, whereas the iPlayer gives you 7 days. If it was 30 days catch up then I could forgive their annoying website.

Good point. It's probably down to the whole BBC License thing. You can watch BBC without having one with iplayer and I suppose they have to limit it somehow.

celestialteapot

Quote from: Trekkygeek on September 20, 2008, 02:03:54 AM
Good point. It's probably down to the whole BBC License thing. You can watch BBC without having one with iplayer and I suppose they have to limit it somehow.

According to their website you did need a TV licence - which I don't think is entirely true as you're not exactly receiving a broadcast signal like with the TV (particularly if you've downloaded it). I have many objections to the TV licence and have not paid it this year, I'm not giving money to a company that get commission every time they convict people and who run horrible scare tactics, of which most of them they cannot do (they can't interview you under caution, they can't detect people watching TV 'illegally' and they cannot enter your property without a warrant and a police officer to enforce the warrant).

Feathers

Still, licence fee aside, Merlin looks promising. The good news is that even my wife wants to watch it. (OK, she watches Dr Who but I think that's for my sake really)

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Ktrek

Looks quite promising! I would like to at least check it out.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Meds

Ok so Merlin has just been shown on BBC 1 here in the UK. What can i say, visualy it looks stunning, the sets the locations all brilliant. A great cast including Anthony Head as Uther, Richard Wilson a Gauis, John Hurt as the voice of the dragon, Colin Morgan as Merlin and Bradley James as the irritating Arthur. The story was a bit hit and miss abut I look forward to next weeks This is spoiler free as i believe it is going to be transmitted in the US soon. It is nothing like the mystical Merlin (lets face it this is nothing like Excaliber) but worth a shot.