Trek Movie Comic Prequel!

Started by Rico, January 11, 2009, 04:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

(warning - might be tiny spoilers ahead).....

IDW is doing a 4 issue comic series over the next four months that leads into the new film.  Learn more below and see the first 5 pages!

COUNTDOWN PREVIEW

The four issue 'Star Trek Countdown' comics series will show the progression from the Next Generation era to the new Star Trek movie. The series is 'presented' by Star Trek director JJ Abrams with a story by Star Trek co-writers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. The series will primarily deal with (elder) Spock and the film's villain Nero, including interactions with other characters from the TNG era. The series is written by Tim Jones and Mike Johnson with art by David Messina.

As reported, the comic series starts off after the events of Star Trek Nemesis. The Stardate given is 64333.4, around eight years after Nemesis (Stardate 56893.5). Issue one starts off with Nero and his crew, including his second Ayel, on a mining operation (looking for something called 'decalithium') when something seems to go wrong. Also of note is that Nero and his crew have hair and no tattoos (as seen in pre-release images), and although the drilling platform appears the same, Nero's ship looks different than seen in the Star Trek trailer and press previews.

wraith1701

AWESOME.  :)  This comes out this month, right?

Rico

Quote from: wraith1701 on January 11, 2009, 05:16:41 PM
AWESOME.  :)  This comes out this month, right?

Issue one comes out Jan. 14th

X

Is it bad that I'm already liking Nero as a character in just those few pages?

Ktrek

I thought about buying this but I really don't want to double dip for it because I will buy the trade copy. Thus I probably will not buy the individual copies even though my curiosity is aroused. I have all the IDW Star Trek trades released thus far but have not bought a single issue copy yet.

Kevin
"Oh...Well, Who am I to argue with me?" Dr. Bashir - Visionary - Deep Space Nine

Dangelus

Bryancd

Look very cool! Although, "No time to explain, big boy, just get your ass up here" isn't what I think I want to hear from a Romulan.   :wacko

X

LOL I thought about that then realized that we've never heard actual not politician or military romulans really speak. If we judged our world only on the voices of our leaders, the words of the commoners would be pretty strange.

I also got a Romulan version of Mal from firefly when I read those pages.

PepperDude

I really like the cover! I've already added this to my pull list.  I really want to read it now.

Dangelus

Quote from: Bryancd on January 12, 2009, 05:05:12 AM
Look very cool! Although, "No time to explain, big boy, just get your ass up here" isn't what I think I want to hear from a Romulan.   :wacko

Quote from: Just X on January 12, 2009, 07:05:12 AM
LOL I thought about that then realized that we've never heard actual not politician or military romulans really speak. If we judged our world only on the voices of our leaders, the words of the commoners would be pretty strange.

Well, it is a promotional tool for the movie and maybe the writer is not that familiar with Romulans? They also refer to Nero as 'Captain' and Romulans don't use that rank.

Looks entertaining though.

wraith1701

Quote from: Dangelus on January 12, 2009, 11:46:56 PM
Look very cool! Although, "No time to explain, big boy, just get your ass up here" isn't what I think I want to hear from a Romulan.   :wacko

Well, it is a promotional tool for the movie and maybe the writer is not that familiar with Romulans? They also refer to Nero as 'Captain' and Romulans don't use that rank.

You make some good points Dangelus, but I tend to believe that the IDW editors make sure that thier writers know their subject matter before turning 'em loose.  I think X hit it on the head--  It looks like Nero and his crew are "civilian" Romulans.  The rank structure and behavior on a non-military ship are probably vastly different from what we've seen so far on the big screen. 

I need to call my comic shop and make sure they add this to my pulls for tomorrow!  :)

Dangelus

Quote from: wraith1701 on January 13, 2009, 07:13:59 AM
Quote from: Dangelus on January 12, 2009, 11:46:56 PM

You make some good points Dangelus, but I tend to believe that the IDW editors make sure that thier writers know their subject matter before turning 'em loose.  I think X hit it on the head--  It looks like Nero and his crew are "civilian" Romulans.  The rank structure and behavior on a non-military ship are probably vastly different from what we've seen so far on the big screen. 

I need to call my comic shop and make sure they add this to my pulls for tomorrow!  :)

Most likely I suppose. It would make much more sense.

Meds

IDW seem to be rocking the house at the moment with thses kind of comics. I've just bought the set of Dr Who The forgotten comics and another set of 6 Dr Who tennant comics as well, saying that they havn't arrived yet, boo to ebay. Will have to order these Trek ones as well now.

wraith1701

Just a Heads-Up-  I was talking to the owner of my local comic shop today; he says that despite the listed release date, the book will most likely be coming out next week, not tomorrow.  Of course, that might only apply to the stores here in Louisville-- apparently, many of the shops here have been experiencing "technical difficulties" with Diamond Comic Distributors. 

Geekyfanboy

Quote from: wraith1701 on January 13, 2009, 06:38:40 PM
Just a Heads-Up-  I was talking to the owner of my local comic shop today; he says that despite the listed release date, the book will most likely be coming out next week, not tomorrow.  Of course, that might only apply to the stores here in Louisville-- apparently, many of the shops here have been experiencing "technical difficulties" with Diamond Comic Distributors. 

I was wondering about that as it's wasn't listed as coming out this week from the list I get emailed to me every week.