New "grown-up" GI Joe animation

Started by wraith1701, January 27, 2009, 02:40:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wraith1701

As a fan of the 80's GI Joe cartoon, and the comics it spawned, I'm kind of worried about the new live-action film... It seems like it will stray FAR away from the spirit and idea of the franchise.

I'm kind of exited about the new animated series "GI JOE- Resolute".  Written by famed comic writer Warren Ellis, this new series promises to go back to the roots of the old cartoon, while giving it a more gritty, real-world feel to appeal to an older audience.  Here's a hidden-cam clip from SDCC-

Thoughts?

Gwarald

"TINGLY", TINGLY is the best word to describe how I feel about that clip "Resolute" you have shared, All over, and "SWEET"! Snakeyes is the coolest... Well enough of that... Great Work Man! I would love to find out more when it happens. In the 80's I too was a fan of G.I. JOE. Just one of my favorites growing up. And I plan to see anything with their logo, live action or not.

Dan M

That looked really good.  I'll tune in.

M-5

Looks good.  I may have to check it out.

wraith1701

GI Joe: Resolute is a 60 minute show broken up into 10 5 minute mini-sodes and a 10 minute finale.
The first few episodes have aired on Adult Swim, and have made it to youtube.

WARNING-  This show is NOT kid-friendly--  People die.

Rico

I'll check it out.  Never been much of a GI Joe fan, but this looks pretty cool.

billybob476

Wow. Cobra Commander is actually threatening. Who needs a weather dominator when we can just blow the crap out of things Independence Day style?

X

I saw this and was impressed it was like the old marvel Joe comic where people actually died instead of jumping out of the helicopters with parachutes before the missiles hit.

donk1701

I have seen this as well, and I was very impressed.  Although I have a feeling that it is going to be far superior to the live action, and that is a bit bothersome.

billybob476

Well, I'd say the intended audiences are quite different. The live action movie is intended for the masses. If I'm not wrong, the cartoon is made for us. We're adults now, so they remade the old cartoon for adults.

SPOCKFAN

That was great. I had not heard about this show, I will check out the rest of them.

cosmonaut

Adult Swim has nice stuff. Good to see some western animated show for grown-ups.

I found myself watching x-men on the marvel site Kenny posted on twitter, I'm always amazed how much the shows changed from the 80s to the 90s.

billybob476

I always loved that X-Men cartoon though. It was my first exposure to X-Men.

Rico

Still on my TIVO from last weekend.  Hoping to get a chance soon to watch it.

donk1701

Quote from: billybob476 on May 01, 2009, 10:53:52 AM
Well, I'd say the intended audiences are quite different. The live action movie is intended for the masses. If I'm not wrong, the cartoon is made for us. We're adults now, so they remade the old cartoon for adults.

Sure, I understand the differences in intended audiences, yet when I say I find this bothersome this is what I mean: GI Joe-resolute is a well written, well plotted, well crafted adaptation of a pre-existing property, and I proabably should reserve judgement until I see the live action film, but there does not appear to be, from the trailers, the same level of care and attention to the source material.