Just ordered the new Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprise model!

Started by Bryancd, May 27, 2009, 04:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

DECAL TIME!! A couple of observations. Definitely cut the decals in half to make them easier to manage and place otherwise they are so long and get tricky. The decals are very forgiving and strong. I had a few I had real issues with but using decal set and my fingers I was able to get the seated properly. Air bubbles are the hard part, you really have to work on getting the decal flat on the surface and then blot out all the moisture to ensure you don't have bubbles. I did a pretty good job so far but I can see small bubbles and need to work more on technique. I have to say the decals look great when they are on!

Rico

That's awesome Bryan.  When I used to apply a lot of model decals I found taking a Kleenex and gentle pressing down both presses the bubbles out and grabs any excess moisture.  Plus Kleenex are kind of thin and you can sort of see what you are doing under them rather than just a cloth.  Lots of ways to do it.

- Hey - how well do they handle the groves?

Bryancd

I was just using paper towel to blot, I'll give Kleenex a try. Now that it's dry, I can see the bubbles are gone but there is some blotching when seen at a certain angle where the bubbles were. It's only two of the sections and not a big deal, but when I get to the top, I need to be even more careful and use a little less decal set on the surface. That makes it too watery and results in bubbles. The decals do a great job keeping the detail of the groves, they settle in nicely and the groves provide you a reference point for application.

Bryancd

Whew, ok, glad that's over. I finished up the aztec decaling on the bottom of the primary hull. Couple of things I did wrong to be aware of. Do not put on the lower sensor dome prior to the decals. They are designed to extend underneath but they mention that in the decal instructions not the build instructions that I saw. So I had to trim mine back and I trimmed too much so there is an empty ring around the dome where the aztecing ends. Not a huge deal and I will do much better on the top. Also, the clear parts that go in the sensor array need to be detail painted before being attached. Now I need to get a super fine paint brush and try and make them black with a white spot in the middle to simulate to spot lights. That's going to be hard. Otherwise the decal look great, here are two pictures in different natural light.

Rico

The IC

looking good!

As promised: the circuit diagram that I am using:

billybob476

Nice diagram

*has flashbacks of college physics class*

Damn you electricity and magnetism!

The IC

It works like a charm, until you reverse the + and - leads (like I did last night) and burn out the 555 chips.

Bryancd

Finished lower sensor dome, so bottom of primary hull is DONE! Just need to touch up the blue line and black vents a bit.

jedijeff

This is a lot of fun to follow your Progress Bryan. Thanks for chronicling your steps and giving some tips.

Meds

Bryancd

Quote from: Shelby Daelen on July 10, 2009, 03:50:39 PM
That is simply put a remarkable model Brian. Can you make me one when you are done it will look good in my Star Wars/ Star Trek den. :D

I have posted a bunch of Star Wars models here, do a search!

moyer777

This is a lot of fun.  Thanks for doing this Bryan.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

wraith1701

Your ship is looking amazing, man! Great work!  :)

Bryancd

Thanks everyone! It's fun sharing this with all of you. Did some more painting this week and today. This kit does require a good deal of detail painting, which is challenging but fun. You just have to take your time. Here's what the bridge looks like now.