Just ordered the new Polar Lights 1/350 Enterprise model!

Started by Bryancd, May 27, 2009, 04:58:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryancd

Working on the deflector dish area and secondary hull today. I am having so much fun!

Bryancd

OK, Primary hull is DONE. I'm very happy with the results. Now I am going to hit it with a gloss overcoat. The secondary hull is almost done, still some decal and paint work to do as well as painting and decaling the struts. The warp nacelles have now received the first brush. I am going for TMP purple intercooler look on the inside. The effect looks good, just need to touch it up some more. Here's a pic of my ideal version in CGI:

Rico

I'm still very impressed at how nice those decals look Bryan.  Quite a time saver from painting too.  How well and how much of a clear overcoat can they take?  Any chance too much can react with them?  What exactly are you spraying on for the gloss clearcoat cover?  What brand of spray, etc?

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on July 28, 2009, 03:58:32 PM
I'm still very impressed at how nice those decals look Bryan.  Quite a time saver from painting too.  How well and how much of a clear overcoat can they take?  Any chance too much can react with them?  What exactly are you spraying on for the gloss clearcoat cover?  What brand of spray, etc?

It's Krylon  Crystal Clear acrylic coating. It prevents yellowing, is moisture resistant, gloss finish. What I really notice is that is actually tones down the gloss of the decals, which are really shiny and reflective. It gives the surface a nice metalized like texture. That guy BeatlePaul on the RPF who had that really nice build recomended it.

Dude, buy this kit. It's a great project and a great distraction. You could use a fun little hobby right now.

Rico

I should buy one.  At least so I have the kit.  But I would definitely want to light mine.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on July 28, 2009, 05:24:51 PM
I should buy one.  At least so I have the kit.  But I would definitely want to light mine.

Do it, it's CATHARTIC. Trust me. :)

jedijeff

You are doing an awesome job with this Bryan. I might give this a go in the Fall. Really enjoying following your progress.

Meds

superb stuff Bryan, really enjoying this progress.

Bryancd

Early weekend update!

Rico

Cool Bryan.  Does it have enough internal structure to handle the primary hull weight?  Can't recall if you added anything more inside.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on July 31, 2009, 03:02:39 PM
Cool Bryan.  Does it have enough internal structure to handle the primary hull weight?  Can't recall if you added anything more inside.

Uh, we're going to find out! That guy BeatlePaul over at the RPF said she will hold together...despite what Scotty says!!! ;)

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on July 31, 2009, 03:04:12 PM

Uh, we're going to find out! That guy BeatlePaul over at the RPF said she will hold together...despite what Scotty says!!! ;)

Oh - doesn't this kit come with those little support struts?

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on July 31, 2009, 03:12:06 PM
Quote from: Bryancd on July 31, 2009, 03:04:12 PM

Oh - doesn't this kit come with those little support struts?

Negative, they have done away with those clear plastic ones that went from the base to beneath the primary hull. They must feel it's up to the task!

Rico

Meds

Blimey its huge, its not till you see it starting to come together you realise how big it sis. Where you gonna put the finished item Bryan?