Batman: Arkham Asylum

Started by Jobydrone, August 28, 2009, 10:54:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobydrone

:batman :batman :batman :batman :batman :batman :batman :batman :batman :batman :batman :batman :batman
:joker :joker :joker :joker :joker :joker :joker :joker
This is hands down the most fun I have had with a video game in years.  And I play alot of video games.  There's been a few good superhero games, the best in last generation consoles being probably Spiderman 2 and Hulk Ultimate Destruction.  But never before now has a superhero game so perfectly captured the look and feel of its main character.  

Pretty much anything you would want to be able to do as Batman you can do in this game.  Fighting the bad guys is pure joy.  There are basically two types of combat in this game:  predatory stealth and full fledged hand to hand combat.  The latter is fun enough, with numerous awesome animations, counters, combos, special moves, close up slow motion badass bone crunching finishers, all done with an intuitive control system that never feels confusing or difficult to master.  The game tracks your combos and as you reach higher combo levels more moves open up for you like throws and takedown finishers.

The predatory stealth sequences are arguably even more fun.  Whenever you see enemies with guns you know you have to use stealth because Batman after all is only human and can't charge full speed into eight guys with submachineguns.  You take to the rafters, lure them away from each other with batarangs or explosive gel and take them out with silent knockouts one at a time.  It is such a blast hearing the other goons react when they stumble across one of their knocked out compatriots.  There's lots of different dialogue and it perfectly captures the fear and panic the henchmen are experiencing knowing Batman is out there gunning for them.

Aside from combat there is tons of the stuff you would expect from an open world adventure game including exploration, levelling up of skills and equipment, hidden secrets in the form of the Riddler's mysteries, and tons of collectibles like artwork and character biographies.

The story is a bit generic, but excellent, written by Paul Dini who wrote for the animated series and various Batman comics.  The voice acting is fantastic, with the original actors from the animated series reprising their roles, including our man Mark Hamill as the Joker.

I'm going out on a limb and calling this game of the year.  I can't imagine having a more enjoyable experience playing a video game.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx

Meds

Thanks for your review, i was thinking of getting this and now i may well just go out and buy it :)

Rico

Joby, what system did you play it on?

Jobydrone

I got it for PS3 because that system has some exclusive content where you can play as the Joker.  There are challenge missions, that are separate from the story, where the goal is to get the highest possible score in straight combat or stealth combat sequences.  PS3 has challenge missions where you get to play as the Joker, who has unique animations, combos, and finishers.  I havent really delved into the challenge stuff yet because I am still playing the story mode, but it looks like fun and since I have both systems it was a no brainer to get the PS3 version which has more content at the same price.
"I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."  -Groucho Marx