Podcast # 245 - "Aliens"

Started by Rico, September 20, 2009, 01:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rico

I'm pretty happy with the podcast this week.  Took quite awhile to put together, but I think it came out well.  Thanks very much to those that sent in audio comments - some really great ones this week.  And a special thanks for Rick's great new parody song!  It rocks!  Enjoy the cast folks.

http://www.treksinscifi.com/podcasts/TreksInSciFi_245_Aliens.mp3

P.S.  Make sure to listen for the contest winner too.

moyer777

Downloading now... can't wait to listen.

Here is the song lyrics to the new Parody.... :)
you can download it direct at http://www.christrocks.com/parody

Stayin' Alien Alive
Parody of the Bee Gee's Stayin' Alive
parody by Rick Moyer

Well you can tell by the way our ship is docked
I'm space explorer astronaut
Space is cold suit is warm, we're gonna check it out
Could be life form

Venture in, is it ok
Turn on the light and look this way
A big statue and crazy sound
There's a big cavern underground

Being chased by another or Alien Mother
you're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
See the slime drippin' and people all slippen
and we're stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Ah, ha, ha, ha, stayin' alive, stayin' alive.
Try, Try, Try, Try, stayin' alive.

Well now, it's on my head over my eye
It's attached to my face I'm just a guy
Comin  to dinner with ache in my gut
A bloody C-section Jr pops through the cut
You know it's real gross, it's so scary
Another crewmate for us to bury
We can try to run and hide
But wow those teeth and the one's inside

Ship's goin' nowhere. Somebody help me.
Somebody help me, yeah.
Somebody help me yeah. Stayin' alive.

Well you can tell by the I use my gun
My name's Riley and this Alien's done
It's killed my friends, and now it's after me
It's time to die and save my kitty.
And now it's all right. It's OK.
I'll blow it out the airlock- hey!

These stupid things just won't die
But out in Space they can't hear you cry

Somebody help me, yeah.
Ship's goin' nowhere. Somebody help me yeah.
I'm Stayin' alive.

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Rico

M-5

I can't wait to listen to the podcast at work tomorrow. :metallica:

Rico

Quote from: M-5 on September 20, 2009, 05:59:24 PM
I can't wait to listen to the podcast at work tomorrow. :metallica:

Let me know what you think.  I'm pretty proud of this particular show.

Bryancd

I'm loving it! I consider myself a student of ALIEN. I have consumed everything written and documented on film and I have NEVER heard the staory about how they got Jones the cat to hiss!
So true about the heavy use of the organic. When Ash is examining the bottom of the face hugger, you can actually see the raw oysters they used as decoration! The eggs were filled with tripe (cow stomach). The best was in the chestburster scene Scott didn't really tell the cast what was going to happen, so when Veronica Cartwright got sprayed with blood and screamed, it was for real!
One thing, Rico, I don't think Scott ever really considered Cartwright for Ripley although she did read for the character and she showed up on set actually thinking she had that part.

Rico

From what I read, Cartwright did have the Ripley part.  But they later changed their mind when Sigourney Weaver came in.

Bryancd

Quote from: Rico on September 21, 2009, 09:58:35 AM
From what I read, Cartwright did have the Ripley part.  But they later changed their mind when Sigourney Weaver came in.

Yeah, I had always heard she read for it, left, never read for Lambert, and assumed she was Ripley. Sigourney was cast very late in the process, while set's were being built. There's a whole section on the casting on the DVD documentary features. It's not clear from that if Cartwright was actually offered the role, it comes across she sort of assumed she would be Ripley as it was all she read for.
Anyway, LOVING the podcast! Very well put together, Rico! I'll be back with more comments later today!

moyer777

I listened to this podcast twice as it had so much information in it.  EXCELLENT!  I think I need to go back and watch the ones I never saw.  :)  Thanks for a well put together show Rico.  I enjoyed all the comments too.  Thanks for playing my goofy song. 

I have been and always will be, your friend.
Listen to our podcast each week http://www.takehimwithyou.com

Rico

Quote from: Bryancd on September 21, 2009, 10:32:33 AM
Quote from: Rico on September 21, 2009, 09:58:35 AM

Yeah, I had always heard she read for it, left, never read for Lambert, and assumed she was Ripley. Sigourney was cast very late in the process, while set's were being built. There's a whole section on the casting on the DVD documentary features. It's not clear from that if Cartwright was actually offered the role, it comes across she sort of assumed she would be Ripley as it was all she read for.
Anyway, LOVING the podcast! Very well put together, Rico! I'll be back with more comments later today!

Yeah, the odd thing is I don't see how anyone can assume you have a part or a job.  I have to believe someone said, "Hey Veronica - you're our Ripley.  See you Monday."  Anyway, it's still interesting since the actresses are very different.

Bryancd

Yeah, and I love the happy horse poop Scott used to sell Cartwright on doing Lambert! "She's the emotional connection to the audience, she's the manifestation of their fear!" Yeah right, she was the the crying lady you knew was toast! LOL!

Bryancd

In regards to Dallas' death, it really happens 3/4 of the way through the movie and about 1/2 through when the poop starts hitting the fan. It's perfect as it ramps up the tension, especially when Ripley and Parker fight over control and direction. After they discover and destroy Ash, you can see the three of them really bond together. Really at no point does Ripley really take control, she's stumbling along in fear but with fierce determination. Really comes through when she is alone, racing through the ship, trying to shut down the self destruct. The sound of her breathing and feet pounding on the metal deck plates, the klaxon blaring, the lights flashing, the steam...just awesome.

Rico

As I said on the podcast, Dallas dying early still was a shocker to me when I first saw it.  He dies before most of the rest of them and he's the Captain.  And I thought that kind of was unusual since the Captain's I had known up until that point if Sci-Fi tended to always save the day.  I disagree, I think Ripley does take control.  It's obvious in the clip I played.  Sure, she is as scared as the rest of them but she still can act - and does so.

Bryancd

Yeah, she is in control as the senior officer left alive and Parker defers to her. But what makes that scene so great, as you pointed out in the podcast, is that the yelling at each other wasn't scripted. Weaver was very intimidated by Koto. He was a name star and she wasn't. Scott and Yaphette play off that in the scene and told him to really bully Sigourney around. It's not all in the final print, but he called her some nasty stuff in order to get the right reaction out of her. The result was great stuff. So, yes, she does take control by earning Parkers respect.
I can see how Dallas dying after Kane and Brett would be a shocker if you didn't know about it...which I did way before I saw the movie. It really contributes to a sense of thing becoming completely out of control. Then bam! you get the whole Ash scene and its chaos!