Hugo winners

Started by Ryan F, October 30, 2009, 08:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan F

Over the summer I started this crazy project of reading all of the Hugo award winning novels in chronological order.  I think I'm adding Nebulas, World Fantasy Award winners and maybe Locus winners to the mix too.  Yeah, it's going to take a few years, and yeah, I am a big geek with OCD.

I'm blogging quick little responses to the books here:
http://sfwinners.blogspot.com/

But, I'm just wondering what the Treks in sci-fi gang's thoughts were on the Hugos.  Ever been to a WorldCon?  (I haven't).  How many have you read?  Pretty good choices?  Anything missing or lacking?  Am I crazy for doing this?

Here's a list:
1946: The Mule by Isaac Asimov
1951: Farmer in the Sky by Robert A. Heinlein
1953: The Demolished Man by Alfred Bester
1954: Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
1955: They'd Rather Be Right by Mark Clifton and Frank Riley
1956: Double Star by Robert A. Heinlein
1958: The Big Time by Fritz Leiber
1959: A Case of Conscience by James Blish
1960: Starship Troopers by Robert A. Heinlein
1961: A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter M. Miller, Jr.
1962: Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein
1963: The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick
1964: Way Station by Clifford D. Simak
1965: The Wanderer by Fritz Leiber
1966: ... And Call Me Conrad by Roger Zelazny
and Dune by Frank Herbert (tie that year)
1967: The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress by Robert A. Heinlein
1968: Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
1969: Stand on Zanzibar by John Brunner
1970: The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. Le Guin
1971: Ringworld by Larry Niven
1972: To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Philip José Farmer
1973: The Gods Themselves by Isaac Asimov
1974: Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke
1975: The Dispossessed by Ursula K. Le Guin
1976: The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
1977: Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang by Kate Wilhelm
1978: Gateway by Frederik Pohl
1979: Dreamsnake by Vonda McIntyre
1980: The Fountains of Paradise by Arthur C. Clarke
1981: The Snow Queen by Joan D. Vinge
1982: Downbelow Station by C. J. Cherryh
1983: Foundation's Edge by Isaac Asimov
1984: Startide Rising by David Brin
1985: Neuromancer by William Gibson
1986: Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
1987: Speaker for the Dead by Orson Scott Card
1988: The Uplift War by David Brin
1989: Cyteen by C. J. Cherryh
1990: Hyperion by Dan Simmons
1991: The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold
1992: Barrayar by Lois McMaster Bujold
1993: A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernon Vinge
Doomsday Book by Connie Willis (tie)
1994: Green Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
1995: Mirror Dance by Lois McMaster Bujold
1996: The Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson
1997: Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson
1998: Forever Peace by Joe Haldeman
1999: To Say Nothing of the Dog by Connie Willis
2000: A Deepness in the Sky by Vernor Vinge
2001: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J. K. Rowling
2002: American Gods by Neil Gaiman
2003: Hominids by Robert J. Sawyer
2004: Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold
2005: Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke
2006: Spin by Robert Charles Wilson
2007: Rainbows End by Vernor Vinge
2008: The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon
2009: The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman

ChadH

I'm surprised and somewhat embarassed to admit that I've only read 15 out of the list. At least I can can redeem myself by saying that I'm familiar with the work of just about 75% of the authors on the list. No, you're not crazy, just ambitious. Good luck with your reading. :) 

Bromptonboy

I am ashamed to say I have only read 24 of the list.  Perhaps this would be the starting reading list for reborn Treksinscifi bookclub?  Start our way back in old school style and work our way to the present?
Pete

Ryan F

I don't think there's anything to be ashamed or embarrassed about - I'd only read 13 when I started this (now I've read 32, but I still have a long way to go).

I do think it might be a good place to look for book club picks - there are a lot of fantastic books on there, though I'd add that there are also a few lousy ones.  One of the earliest winners, They'd Rather Be Right, is both very hard to find, and really really terrible.  On the other hand, I loved Farmer in the Sky, but it feels very retro (which can be a good or bad thing).

psikeyhackr

I have read 34 and started 2 and didn't finish.
Spin and Forever Peace.

I don't recall ever counting before.  I didn't know it was that many.

The Vorkosigan series by Lois Bujold is really good.  There may be a few short stories in that which I haven't found yet but I have done all of the novels.  Most reviewers don't talk about the scientific investigation in Komarr.  It is like sci-fi readers don't care about science anymore.

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling

Rico

I've read about 20 of them, but I do want to read more of those.  I have a few on the list on my shelf I need to read.  Funny thing is, I've read more of the older ones than the more recent winners.  Kind of weird but for a time I was really into reading more of the older SF classics.  I need to get back to that.  Great project to take on.

Bromptonboy

I am in the same boat Rico, most of my tally on this list are older winners.  I will try to work my way through the list this coming year.  25 is my new count..
Pete

Ryan F

Up to 36, and reading my first ever CJ Cherryh book.

If people want to challenge themselves as a New Year's resolution, this blogger, http://scifimindvoyages.blogspot.com/, is running a "read some Hugos" thing for 2010.

Quote from: psikeyhackr on December 16, 2009, 03:48:31 PM
I have read 34 and started 2 and didn't finish.
Spin and Forever Peace.

I don't recall ever counting before.  I didn't know it was that many.

The Vorkosigan series by Lois Bujold is really good.  There may be a few short stories in that which I haven't found yet but I have done all of the novels.  Most reviewers don't talk about the scientific investigation in Komarr.  It is like sci-fi readers don't care about science anymore.

psik

I'm really excited about the Vorkosigan series.  I've never read a word of Bujold, but it sounds fun.

Quote from: Rico on December 16, 2009, 04:26:33 PM
I've read about 20 of them, but I do want to read more of those.  I have a few on the list on my shelf I need to read.  Funny thing is, I've read more of the older ones than the more recent winners.  Kind of weird but for a time I was really into reading more of the older SF classics.  I need to get back to that.  Great project to take on.

Yeah, when I started, I hadn't read a single winner from the 90s, which is odd because that was when I was at my sci-fi reading peak in high school and college.  I've still only read The Diamond Age.

What's interesting to me is how much fantasy has taken over the Hugos in the past decade.  No real fantasy winners before 2000, and 5 or 6 since.

psikeyhackr

Quote from: Ryan F on December 18, 2009, 06:54:38 AMI'm really excited about the Vorkosigan series.  I've never read a word of Bujold, but it sounds fun.

I would suggest that you get Cordelia's Honor

http://www.baen.com/chapters/W200307/0671578286.htm?blurb

It contains the first two stories, Shards of Honor and Barrayar.  It was Barrayar that got me hooked on the series though now I consider it to be the 3rd best book of  the series so far.

Komarr is #1 and A Civil Campaign beats Barrayar by a nose.  LOL

psik
Andre Norton does it better than J.K.Rowling