The Shining 2

Started by Meds, November 29, 2009, 02:42:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meds

Looks like Stephen King is planning on follow up to his 1977 classic The Shining. The second novel would center on Danny Torrance, the young boy from the original story with the gift of being able to communicate clairvoyantly with ghosts, and who is now an appropriately aged 40-year-old. All these years after being tormented by the spiritual inhabitants of the Overlook Hotel and his father's alcoholism/homicidal rage, Danny is now working at a hospice using his supernatural powers for palliative purposes. King even offered a tentative title: "Doctor Sleep".

King also admitted that he is nervous about penning the sequel to one of his best known works, adding:

"Maybe if I keep talking about it I won't have to write it."

alanp

Oh wow, that will be cool.  Too bad Stanley isn't around to direct anymore.

Bromptonboy

Hmmm, I have only seen the movie, and never read the book.  I should take that one off the shelf I suppose.  Anyone else read it?  Is the move true to the penned version?  Anything dropped by Kubrick?
Pete

Meds

I thought the film was a pretty good version of the book. Can't remember much mind you but I did enjoy it.

Bryancd

The film was good, but the book is very different, as I recall.

Meds

Really I seem to remember thinking it wad a good adaptation. I know the ending is different but so's a Clockwork Orange.

Bromptonboy

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on November 30, 2009, 06:46:35 AM
Really I seem to remember thinking it wad a good adaptation. I know the ending is different but so's a Clockwork Orange.
Now there is another movie that I love!  I tried to read the book, but had a tough time working my way through the slang (and I have a large Russian vocabulary to help work through the various 'malchik's', etc).  How is the ending different in the book?
Pete

ChadH

I'll be looking forward to reading the sequel.
"If I keep talking about it I won't have to write it." LOL. After all the books he's written I would think that it would come pretty easy to him.

Meds

In America the last chapter is missing so when the film was adapted it was adapted to the US version so you miss the fact that Alex creates another gang. I think it's different now but on first publication the last chapter went on holiday.