All good things....

Started by X, February 09, 2010, 07:29:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

X

Hello ladies and gentlemen of the rpg. I was talking in depth with Meds about the future of the rpg and we reached a conclusion. The attrition of writers and key characters in the rpg has reached levels where the suspension of disbelief is starting to fray. We have lost too many important members of the staff of the Arabella for the story to continue to make sense. With a heavy heart, I am proposing that this episode be the final episode for the adventures of this crew. This is not to say that the show won't go on later with new or current character on a new ship, but I believe that it is time for this crew and this ship to end her voyage while we still have dignity. To this end, I pose that we extend the episode a little longer than expected so that we can work with willing writers of past and present to end this series right. We all know that there are more stories to be told and some characters who's stories are far from over, but this action is perhaps the best one for the rpg and any new series to come from it. Please feel free to discuss this subject here or in pms with myself and meds, we welcome the talks. More to come soon...

Meds

Thanks for posting that Chris.

Feathers

I don't really know how to react to this. Personally, I've been waiting to move the story on but need a co-writer in order to really know where to go.

In the rest of life, however, I am in the middle of site closure consultations at work as well as a pretty intense milestone delivery so have probably taken my eye off the RPG ball for a couple of weeks. Sorry!

It will be a shame to put Galdar down (not in a vetinary sense) but I don't imagine anyone else will hve much use for an unemployed Ferengi pilot :( 

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Dangelus

It is a shame and I personally feel a little guilty myself for leaving as a writer when I did. Not saying I was a huge part of the RPG because I wasn't, but you still feel like you're letting people down.

On the bright side I am sure new ideas will spring from this decision and I look forward to it. If I feel I can contribute then I will also.

I'd just like to thank all those involved ith the RPG for the wonderful entertainment you have provided.

Allen

I must say that it is a bummer. As a player, it is fun, but as a reader, I must say that this season seems dead in the water. Not that those participating aren't doing so with excellence, but it just seems to have lost a spark and isn't as alive and fluid as previous seasons were.

I do hope that those of us who are still wanting to play in this world can find a way to do so. Maybe these characters are just played out as we need to start fresh? I don't know, I'm just riffing now....
When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained. - Mark Twain

Bryancd

Quote from: Allen on February 12, 2010, 03:14:18 PM
I must say that it is a bummer. As a player, it is fun, but as a reader, I must say that this season seems dead in the water. Not that those participating aren't doing so with excellence, but it just seems to have lost a spark and isn't as alive and fluid as previous seasons were.

I do hope that those of us who are still wanting to play in this world can find a way to do so. Maybe these characters are just played out as we need to start fresh? I don't know, I'm just riffing now....

No, I think that's a very fair assessment, Allen. I thought we should have tried to just finish last season when we were doing it, but so may writers were too busy with other stuff and the story became a bit too scripted to start this year. I have been a part of the RPG since Season 2 and have loved it, but it need a reboot. We need to get back to the fun of the early seasons. Sure they were chaotic, but it was FUN.

Meds

Well it's good to know my writing was dead in the water. Marvellous stuff.

Bryancd

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on February 12, 2010, 04:08:43 PM
Well it's good to know my writing was dead in the water. Marvellous stuff.

That's not an indictment of the totality of the writing, Meds, and as a writer, we can all take a few lumps. Everyone can have their opinion and we shouldn't EVER take it personally. I have been critical of the game at times and got attacked every time and I was a writer! This season was going no where, mate, we both know it and we both know why.

Meds

You know what mate I do take it personaly. I can take digs, I can take attacks and I can take critisism, I've been a writer for over six years so I'm used to it but at the moment sorry but I do take it to heart.

Bryancd

Quote from: HawkeyeMeds on February 12, 2010, 04:20:00 PM
You know what mate I do take it personaly. I can take digs, I can take attacks and I can take critisism, I've been a writer for over six years so I'm used to it but at the moment sorry but I do take it to heart.

Fair enough, but he didn't single you out. He's likely referring to me. :)

X

I'm going to take a moment to chime in here. While it is true that everyone has gotten a bit busy, the loss of the story has really nothing to do with "being scripted". Here is the bottom line. Most of the recent seasons have been scripted. Bryan, you have commented on the scripting, but that wasn't the problem. Perhaps the problem starts with the fact that your level of participation has only increased this season to where you noticed it this time. That doesn't mean that it didn't exist or that it wasn't working, only that you finally noticed what everyone else that was writing heavily was doing. If including you in on that caused a problem, then I take full responsibility for that because sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Not everyone has the ability to write that way, but many of the pillars of this game did work with the script. Allen has written damned well this season, but it was also guided by the dreaded script.

Again, all I can say is that if you ask anyone of previous season that were writing hard if they were working off a script, they'd confirm it. Granted, some people just need some things to complain about, but the reason things are slow is because many of the people that carried the RPG on their backs became busy. Nothing more and nothing less. There were people that attempted to step up and fill those shoes and to them I am grateful. Some people unfortunately can't be replaced and the pillars that remained didn't have the time or drive to carry it alone.

Feathers

With the best will in the world, I don't think carrying on this thread in this way is going to achieve too much...well, nothing positive anyway.

Personally, I'm sorry I dropped out for a couple of weeks but negotiations at work over this years site closure was a surprisingly emotional experience (I got cross!) and I really wasn't interested in doing much of anything else. If that detracted from the game then I appologise.

I know it's unnusual here but I don't have a podcast of my own.

Meds

I agree it's ok to blow off steam I did earlier and that's that. Mike you have to put your personal life first and I know your work situation was stressful.
This ends now. The RPG is open for a new story but not with characters if those writers leaving. Allen all is not lost my friend, if you wish to carry on of course you can. And as I said before this season is still not over with so if you want it to shine then let's do it.
I will be sending a email out to all writers to get it moving. I am writing a post with Chris and Mike, then u have one already drafted with Crystal which Bryan can add in ( if he's not at the winter olympics running half naked through the snow) and you have your work which if you pm Chris can be built into the final.

:)

Jen

Time to write Ryla out of her quarters now. :) I'm looking forward to closing the book on a high note. Not every series gets to do that.

To clear the confusion...the seasons have been "scripted" since Season Two. Here are the links to those threads, in case you're feeling nostalgic. After three years and eleven seasons, you may have forgotten how far we've come since the chaotic beginnings of this long lived series.

...all good things must come to an end.

Season One (No outline, no direction)

Season Two Rough Outline
http://www.treksinscifi.com/forum/index.php?topic=2147.0

Season Three (shore leave no outline)

Season Four Outline
http://www.treksinscifi.com/forum/index.php?topic=3156.0

Season Five Outline
http://www.treksinscifi.com/forum/index.php?topic=3860.0

Season Six (shore leave no outline...bullet points)
http://www.treksinscifi.com/forum/index.php?topic=4207.0

Season Seven
http://www.treksinscifi.com/forum/index.php?topic=4518.0

Season Eight Outline
http://www.treksinscifi.com/forum/index.php?topic=5022.60

Season Nine (open season/shore leave)

Season Ten Outline
http://www.treksinscifi.com/forum/index.php?topic=6715.0
Founding co-host of the Anomaly Podcast
AnomalyPodcast.com
@AnoamlyPodcast

Shelby D

Gee, I was told things never got scripted or planned...hmmm....imagine that. Well I had fun last season and while it last. Meds, Allen, Jen, Mike, Bryan, Chris any one I may have forgotten - forgive. Thank you for a great time. As so many times it is said, think of the good times not the struggles and it will make you smile.  :D Cheers and offs.